Do you remove the dishwasher bottom cover?

During an inspection today, I started the dishwasher at the beginning. It was not till the end of the inspection and the dishwasher cycle, the customer spots a small stream of water running out in the grout line. Of course I was mad at myself for him finding it and not me, but it was just luck the water even ran out. After removing the cover I noticed quite a bit of water under the washer, and the best part was the wire splice sitting in the puddle. I know it is not sop or common practice to remove covers, but after today I think I will on every one. I was just lucky enough that it showed itself and someon saw it. It the water had never ran out I would missed it compleatly! Does anyone remove all covers?

I bet most do not ,but I am going to start thinking about it.
It would be good practice.

I will not, I have installed many and you never know what may happen. Some of those covers have sound proofing and seals.

What???
I installed them everyday for 6 years and have no idea what you are talking about.

John, You lost me too. I am talking about the metal cover plate on the bottom. I have put in several dishwashers myself, and this is the first time I have ever seen a 2 year old washer leaking around the pump. By the looks of things it was leaking from the get go.

I always cycle the dishwasher and note if it leaks. I don’t take the cover off to look for a leak.

I do take the covers off and am amazed how many leaks I find. Most are small but you know they will get worse. The only time I don’t take them off is when there is enough of a gap between the cover and toe-kick to see underneath.

Perhaps this makes a good excuse to buy a see snake.

Not a bad idea because I HATE putting those covers back on. Most are two piece and a pain to get lined up.

True ,plus you need to be careful as I cut my hand up a few times when the electric was loose and not in the box where it should be.
Shock and awe became shock and bleed.

I have been seeing the Low Noise units with a foam backer on the two part kick plate and a rubber seal to the floor and cabinets. Putting the seal in is a pain.

Foam backer is common but I do not recall the rubber seal.

Not any worse than an electrical panel cover, because we all know how the screws always line up so well :wink:

Ditto. I will attempt to look under or around the sides if possible.

Sean,
I would say that you were very lucky on this inspection and that you “dodged the bullet”. I have been in this industry since 1972 and some other things that I have found are;

1. Small leaks like you found.

2. Major leaks, and I mean MAJOR!
    {This happens a lot on homes that have been vacant/closed/and or winterized for some time}

3. On more than one occasion the water line was disconnected!
    {One job with brand-new hardwood floors was extremely exciting and I was lucky because the Real Estate agent was the one who ran the dishwasher and the water was just pouring all over the brand-new hardwood floors! It turned out to be $15,000 worth of damage to the floors!}

NOTE: If you see a BRAND NEW dishwasher {especially in an older home that was vacant} DO NOT assume that it is connected!

1. I have found “live wires” that were actually in the water.

Things I have found inside the dishwasher … after it was turned on by the Real Estate agent!

1. All of the paperwork/instruction manuals {they were soaking wet}
  2. “Important Papers for the house”
  3. Clothes.
  4. Shoes.
  5. Homework.
  6. Baked Cookies on the top rack.
  7. Leftover “birthday cake” that the homeowner wanted to make sure no one ate during the inspection.
  8. A small box with all of the hidden “family jewels”.

99% of the time I tell the real estate agent that it is a violation of my SOP to turn on the dishwasher and they have no problem turning it on. Most of them will even remove the kick plate.

So bottom line is… I strongly advise you NOT to turn on the dishwasher but if you have to … be sure to check the inside of the dishwasher before you turn it on and be sure that the kick plate is removed so that you can see underneath the machine!

Good luck!:stuck_out_tongue:

Bob
I will sell you mine. Very disappointed with tool. Waste of my money. The lens needs to be directly on top of something to see. Has 0 range. I wanted it for furnace heat exchangers.

Taking off the cover is not a bad idea. I guess my 7 minute kitchen inspection will now take 8 minutes. :slight_smile:

A Home Inspection is not evasive…A check from the normal controls
would proper. A Home Inspection cannot find every defect that exist.
These words are coming from the Nachi Standards of Practice

Its easy to turn a Home Inspection into a fix it tour.

David

This is the best answer…I will use your advise.

David
www.pyramid-home-inspections.net

They have some good buys out there Bob I use mine 4 or 5 times week

Here is what I do, I after running the dishwasher I slip a piece of paper from my legal pad under the from cover and pull it out, if it’s wet it has a leak,