Extension Ladder

I have noticed photos of various members vehicles that do not have a ladder rack to carry an extension ladder. So, out of curiosity, how many members carry an extension ladder that is at least 24’ in length? I happen to carry a 28’ ladder that I use on about 40% of my inspections. The remaining are accessed with my articulating ladder or are too high to access at all.
:slight_smile:

I have an extend and climb that gets me at least to the gutter of most one story homes. Higher than that is too high for me anyway. So the shorter ladder is sufficient for my needs. I walk what roofs I can, but the rest are either inspected from the gutter, or ground (I also carry binoculars, and a 6x zoom camera.)

I carry a Gorilla folding ladder, 13’ is usually long enough for single story, I also have a 21’ for two. On most houses in Florida if they have two floors I can usually walk or climb form first roof to second.

Here’s mine - a 24’. This along with a folding, gets me where I need to be.

Rhino

I’d be interested in knowing how many folks walk the second story… I’m not a big fan of it myself… i don’t have a problem getting onto the first story, but usually keep my butt off anything higher than that. I use a couple of ladders… my main ladder is one of those jobs that changes every which way and extends from both ends… I get 19’ out of her… then i have the telescopic pull each rung out dealie and I get 14’ from that one (i prefer the pull out one cause its light and I have a car… not a truck)

I carry 2 ladders in my Grand Caravan. A Little Giant model26 that gets me about 24’. Anything higher than that in my area is usually too steep anyway. Also carry a Little Giant Ultra Step stepladder that goes from 5’-8’. It’s a little easier to carry around in the house and gives me flexability for reaching higher ceilings. Love them both and easier than carrying a long extension ladder.

I have a Werner 23 foot articulating ladder that I slide in the back of my Caravan. Here in Philly that is the best thing to use. Most of the row homes are 3 stories tall and there is no way I can carry or erect a ladder that would hit those rooftops by myself. Most of the homes have additions built on, so it makes it easy to go from one roof to the the next higher. I can usually go out a window with the ladder to set it up to get to the third story a lot of times too.

I am looking into getting ladder racks installed so that I can carry a 32 foot aluminum extension ladder for homes in the suburbs. That is sure to make my Caravan look like a helicopter driving down the road.

I use the same set of Gorilla ladders and find them to be quite sturdy even if a little on the heavy side.

If the roof is safe to walk on I’m on it even if it’s a second story.

28 foot Warner with hooks.
Been using the luggage rack with bungies for 15 years

Needed if you are going to do a good job for the client, though if you are to old , fat or timid stay off them.:slight_smile:

I have a 28 ft. extension but do not carry it with me unless I need it in the first place, like for a commercial building, I have never ran across a house my Gorilla would not work for me.

I carry a Little Giant in the back of my SUV. Sometimes pull it up with me to straddle ridges and access a second story roof, but not necessarly all roofs nor all second story roofs. I sometimes defer, but with good reason and explanation.

If my ladder doesn’t reach I shinny up the downspout and grab the edge of the gutter. If I hold my camera in my teeth I can usually get a leg up onto the roof. Sometimes if it’s slippery I have to spit out the camera and grab the gutter with my teeth to avoid falling. I use my fingernails to gouge a handhold out of the shingles and if I swing my other leg two or three times I can usually make the final heave up over the edge. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries and I find it helps if I wear golf shoes.
I hate metal roofs… and rusty gutter systems, however, I am a big fan of hedges, especially those planted near the exterior walls.

I had the pleasure of riding around Boston for a while this morning with Dave Valley and during our conversations learned how even someone very competent and experienced who has been in construction for many years can have a ladder-related accident.
Pay attention to your ladder and your situation and don’t allow yourself to become complacent or careless. It’s when you’re most comfortable with your situation that you’re most likely to make a mistake.
It’s about developing good habits, being aware and knowing your limits. Like everything else we do in the inspection business, it’s about using good judgement.

I use the 13’ little giant most of the time, although I carry a 24’ extention ladder on the FJ Cruiser rack for the two story houses.
I also own a 36’ extention ladder although I dont carry it around, the color doesn’t match my tuck.

My Bro works for AT&T and has a whole day of training on ladder use. It is not as simple as most guys believe! Take your time, set it up correctly or do not use it.

Not possible with my telesteps. I shake like a leaf going up that bad boy! :mrgreen:

If doing a commercial building with a FLAT roof, I use a 24’ or 28’ Werner Ladder with self-leveling leg extensions.

On a house, I carry a 10.5 Telesteps to look inside an attic access, OR my “13’ Big Boy” Little Giant ladder to look at the eaves of a house on the outside. Other than that I use binoculars. About once a year I’ll have a 3 story house that some WAZOO buyer whines about us not being on the top of.

I apologize like crazy and offer to add $300 to his Inspection Fee to hire a Bucket Lift to raise me so I can view it at eye level - NOT walk it / View it. Have not had a taker yet.

I with you Dan on that subject. Lots of nice binnoculars on the market. Mine are auto-focus. Have’nt heard much from you lately. Feeling OK?

I also use a spotting scope with tri-pod, when I can not walk a roof.

I notice everyone has a ladder or something.

Don’t any of you people fly???

(It’s so much easier being a super-hero.)