Female Inspectors?!

Hello everyone!

My name is Courtenay.

I am 25 years old and about to start The Home Inspection program at my local community college. I am very excited to get into this industry. I already own a very successful House Cleaning company, and my own home.

I was just wondering if there are any female Home Inspectors here or that is a member of InterNACHI?

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

There are female inspectors here.

What state/s are you going to be working in?

Inspect it like a girl. Google it.

Courtenay we have tons of female inspectors using our software. Let me know where you are located and I can connect you with a few.

Courtenay, congrats on taking the plunge, it will take time to build a business but it’s sounds like you already have a grasp on that part.
You’ll be very glad you decided to add inspecting as a business down the road.

I have a friend in Seattle who I encouraged to switch from contracting to inspection and she is in transition now, doing her ride alongs as is required there. Shes is in her mid 40’s and the contracting was starting to take a toll on her.

Have you had any background in building?
It’s not required of course but many inspectors come from that.

There are many inspectors here that are female, although most choose to avoid the testosterone oozing out of the MB, unless they need help with something. I seem to remember reading about an all female inspection company (owned/operated by women only) down in N’Orleans or thereabouts. I understand they are very successful.

Good luck to you!

I am located in Ottawa Ontario Canada. Thanks for everyone replying so fast! Wow! I am really excited to get going on this. I have done so much pre-study already. My program starts May.12th, with my community college. I believe Carson Dunlop is the provider for the course.

I don’t have any experience in any of the contracting trades, neither construction. I do see that quite a few people transition from those to Inspecting. I read up that it’s an asset but not a requirement.

Correct, you won’t learn everything in a class
So it would be advisable to work for another inspector
Or find a mentor.
Also good to keep in mind that no new inspector knows it all!

We also have some female home inspectors as clients…they are few and far between but are just as good as their male counterpart…the main challenge for you will be your age more then being female…it is a little tougher to get your foot in the door in this industry when you are very young.

There are several marketing opportunities that you should explore as a female home inspector. There are Women only professional networking groups in most Cities and there are also Real Estate groups comprised of Women Realtors. I would call the Real Estate Board(s) in your area and ask if there are specific Women Real Estate groups or Women professional networking groups. It makes sense the the memberships of such organizations would gladly throw their support behind a Woman owned Home Inspection company.

No! I’m not going to say what I’m thinking about this thread. Devil get behind me! just joking:-)

Thank you for all your advice guys! I will definatly keep it all in mind. Jeff, I get it about the age situation- what’s worse is that I actually look very young. I don’t think I will mind that when I am older LOL, but as for this point in my life I get alot of “you look 14 or 16”. That will definatly be a challenge to overcome for sure. I will push past it though. Thanks for the advice Edward. I will remember that when I become certified and get the progress started for my company. Roy- lol don’t hold back. I can take whatever you wanna dish out.

We have a female inspector on our staff. Inspect It Like A Girl would be a great help to you.

That’s good advise.

I have contacted Inspect It Like A Girl! Thank you!!

I just graduated from a New York State accredited HI course, and there were several woman in the class. I think it’s great and don’t have a problem with it, but must admit was very surprised and wasn’t expecting it. A few of them were already appraisers, so I assume they were there mainly for the knowledge. Some were in the architectural field… so, again… not sure if any of them have the intention of actually going out there to be full fledged home inspectors, but would be awesome if they did. :slight_smile:

I have a female radon person :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome aboard! Yes, there are a few of us out there:) I use the fact that I am a woman/mother as a selling point. Women, generally, pay more attention to details and, as a mom, I am able to think “Would this be safe for my children?” Fathers are able to do that too, but I think it is definitely more of a mom thing.

You didn’t mention being a mom, but remember: it is the women who book most of the appointments. IMO, they feel safer and more relaxed around another woman. There might be some men who feel threatened, but show them that you know what you are doing and what you are talking about and that will shut them up quick.

Sounds like you have a talent for business and marketing. In that case, I think maybe you can turn your gender into an advantage. Lots of single and divorced women out there buying houses. Nail 'em down. What Jeanet said.