Fireplace appears usable but chimney is capped?

I recently inspected a home that previously had a flat roof but had a sloped roof retrofitted over the top of the flat roof. The Chimney was not extended to terminate through the new roof structure but was capped of with cement. The fireplace inside the house still appears usable. I noted this on my inspection with ASTERISKS AND CAPS and advised the potential buyers of the situation and recommended to take also enclose the fireplace. Anyone else encountered this and if so how did you report it? Also, the lender wants this addressed on the re-inspection. The seller has not done anything to remedy this and I am not sure they should, my intent was to make the new buyers aware of the situation. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

If you did the inspection for the new buyers then report it as you have here and also verbally tell them it must not be used before a complete repair.
Write hard talk soft miss nothing.

A lot of folks have unused fireplaces. Older units are really inefficient and they suck heat out of the home. So I see a lot of different ways that people stuff them so as not to lose heat. They look perfectly fine until you did a little. Most people are good about stating that it is not used. @ Roy…Great advice in one sentence. I am putting that on a post-it right now, on my screen.

It the fireplace chimney was capped, the fireplace is not usable:-)

Thanks Roy, that is exactly what I did on the report. The buyers were unaware the chimney didn’t even penetrate through the new roof structure. I showed them the fireplace and then walked them outside a pointed to the roof and showed them no chimney. I then showed them the picture I took of the capped off chimney in the attic (attic floor is old flat roof). They are now aware it is non-usable. Odd thing is the seller had a brand new fireplace grate in the fireplace. I had them remove it.

Jeff, I know what you mean: I often explain to clients that old fireplaces may give a cozy feel and nice ambiance in the room it is located but it also makes the rest of the house colder. I tell them the warm air being pulled into the fireplace and drafted up the chimney is being replace by cold outside air being pulled into the house through all the little leaks they have around doors, windows, plumbing penetrations, recessed lighting and electrical outlets etc. Old fireplaces can be as bad as -10% efficient (it draws out more heat in BTUS from the house than it is putting into the house).

Erik, thank you for pointing out the obvious: but I am sure your experience tells you the obvious is sometimes tripped over by some people.