Found Mold in a house

What other recommendation you would suggest to a client when you find mold in a house?

This is in no way meant to be a slam. But if your asking this question you should automatically defer them to a professional dealing with the sitaution and then leave it alone. Offer NOTHING else, but to seek professional guideance. Mold assessor is the right person to send them to and can be found on the DBPR website.

Determining the source is the first step. Eliminating it is the second. Remediating the mold and repairing any existing damage is the third.

There are professionals who specialize in each of these steps.

What’s the difference between eliminating it and remediating it? You hire 1 firm to eliminate and another to remediate?

1 Like

Eliminating the source. That must be done prior to remediation of the mold.

I consider that part of the remediation when the source isn’t apparent.

I don’t. In my opinion, there should be no remediation until the source has been identified and corrected.

To do otherwise is a rip-off.

Unsuspecting consumers will be repeatedly paying for additional remediation efforts until finally correcting the issue causing the mold colonization … which can be significantly less expensive than the remediation.

I also agree with you James.
The only person to find the moisture problem should be knowledgeable in all areas of water intrusion and vapor control.
IE: A Certified Environmental Inspector.
Remediation cleans and removes mold not fix the mold problems.:frowning:

Must be different in different areas. Mold remediators here all fix the source before ANYTHING happens. I just assumed it was that was everywhere. Guess I was wrong.

Not in my area.

Any real mold remediation protocol, I have seen, states that what source of moisture caused the mold needs to be corrected at the beginning of the recommendation or procedure page. Sometimes you do not know the true cause of the moisture until the affected porous materials are removed. [FONT=Verdana]ANSI/IICRC [/FONT]S520, Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Mold Remediation, Second Edition requires an Indoor Environmental Professional to evaluated if there is a sizable amount of mold (I do not remember the exact wording off the top of my head). The mold industry has established many rules when it comes to mold, they just need to be followed.

I just got done working on a legal case and during my research I have discovered OSHA actually has a procedure for the removal of mold. The procedure is not totally right (they need to use more current studies) but it is better then nothing at all.

In my area, it is the building’s owner who is responsible to fix the leaks. If the building owner does not fix the leak, the assessor notes it in his clearance letter. Only if the remediator replaces the porous materials after the cleanup could the remediator be held responsible. The smart remediators will only remove the mold for this reason.
A regular contractor can reinstall the porous materials without fixing the moisture problem and probably get away with it, because he can make the case the homeowner knows the leak needed to be fixed and he did not, because he did not see the mold remediation protocol.
A mold remediation protocol is a legal document (at least that is how a court sees it) if ignored, whoever ignored that document is responsible, nobody else.
There is sometimes, I do not bother to write a mold remediation protocol if I feel parts of it is going to be ignored. It saves everybody the big argument. Sad but true.

Mold is a type of fungus. It contains micro organisms which is very harmful for us, so try to remove it immediately before became dangerous. The best way to remove it is, the use of vinegar. But take precautions like wear mask and gloves. In future make sure that your home must be well ventilated.

demolition contractor in new jersey

vinegar? I wonder why I wasnt tought that in my 8 hour ESA mold certification class. im kinda pissed now.

http://blacktoxicmolds.com/vinegar-kill-mold.php

Does Vinegar Kill Mold

Vinegar kills bacteria and germs. Vinegar also kills 82% of mold species.

This page tells you how to kill mold with vinegar. The Mold Removal page also provides a step by step guide to the entire mold removal process.

Vinegar Information

Many mold killing products contain chemicals. These chemicals can be allergenic, bad for the environment, and bad for your family and pets.

Vinegar, on the other hand, is a natural acid. Vinegar is totally non-toxic and safe of course. You can drink it, afterall. Vinegar is also biodegradable and fine for the environment.

Although vinegar leaves a strong smell, the fumes are not harmful at all.

It is very cheap to buy vinegar. You can easily find bottles of white vinegar in the supermarket.

Peroxide kills mold better. You still have to remove the mold during a remediation, though.

** Clean with hydrogen peroxide when your house becomes a biohazard
after its invaded by toxic mold, such as those with water damage-****Truth!

**In a publication about “Healthy Homes,” the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) listed hydrogen peroxide as among the substances that can be used against mold, but also said there had not been enough research to recommend its use. It is not known what molds hydrogen peroxide is most effective against or what the human health hazards may be from using it so extensively. Also, since hydrogen peroxide is a bleach, be careful where you use it in terms of preserving the colors in your home.

I still would want to know what type of mould it is. Certain moulds have characteristics that are toxigenic or cause specific reactions in humans. Having said that, I would still want the mould gone. Hiring someone qualified in mould removal, and not a do-it-yourself handyman, is the best way to ensure that the mould is cleaned up in a way so as not to spread it to other areas of the home.

Mold Neurotoxicity: Validity, Reliability and Baloney

from QuackWatch.com

“Clean with hydrogen peroxide when your house becomes a biohazard
after its invaded by toxic mold, such as those with water damage-Truth!”

Hydrogen Peroxide - not just for breakfast anymore.