Green Lumber. Please proof this new inspection article.

http://www.nachi.org/green-lumber.htm

The bullet list under ‘Problems associated with…’ needs caps to start each item to keep the format the same as above.

Additional information on the advantages and disadvantages of the two types of drying lumber;

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT][size=2]Kiln Drying[/size][/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=1]Rate of drying can be controlled by varying heat and
relative humidity. Controlling drying rates minimizes
drying defects in lumber.

Lumber can be dried to 8% MC, or less, for use in
interior applications.

Staining of lumber can be controlled by using heat and air
flow to rapidly dry the surface of boards.

Drying time is norma lly les s than one month for common
northeast species.

Lumber must be trucked to and from the kiln.

There is an out-of pocket cost associate d with kiln drying.

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT][size=2][FONT=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT][size=2]Air Drying[/size][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=1]Rate of drying is subject to the weather.

It is not possible to dry lumber to less than about
15%MC, wit hout further drying in a he ated building.

Warm, humid conditions with little air movement can
promote some types of stain.

Drying can take several months under ideal conditions.

Lumber can be dried on-site, in any area which receives
good air-flow.

Air drying can be a low cost alternative.

This last method is what is typically used for framing lumber.

It will also normally bear the stamp S-Dry No. 2 Stud grade

:):smiley:
[/size][/FONT][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

I would try to list other home issue results from using green wood; squeaking floors, trim gaps, etc.

Wasn’t there a thread recently where someone had the window frame being compressed against their brick veneer as the framing shrunk?

That would be a great addition to the article, and the photo was perfect.

This one Mark?

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f23/has-anyone-ever-seen-42493/:)

Yep… :smiley:

:-({|= Crimea River here, Editor Extraordinaire…

I’m afraid Microsoft has done the struggling literate world a great injustice with the MS Word program’s default setting of capping words merely because they appear first in a new line, whether in bulleted or numbered lists. It may look pretty, uniform, official, etc., but the rule for excruciatingly correct punctuation (my wheelhouse) is this: Do not cap the first letter of the first word if it is not the first word of a complete sentence. -X

To wit:

I like coffee and I like tea, but I don’t like:

• coffee grounds that stain my teeth;
  • *cinnamon that makes me cough; *
  • strong tea which is bitter; or
  • *weak coffee, which is pointless. *

Note that the bulleted items cannot stand alone as complete sentences because they are merely sentence FRAGMENTS – they are lacking a subject and verb (not counting prepositional phrases). However, when connected with the primary sentence (“I like coffee and I like tea, but I don’t like…”), the phrase completes the sentence. You wouldn’t cap a word in the middle of a sentence (unless it’s a name/proper noun), which is why you don’t cap the word just because it has a bullet in front of it.

Note, too, the use of the much-abused semi-colon ;], which is properly used (instead of the comma) after a colon :] to connect a series of related ideas.

Now, this would be correct:

The following are examples of problems encountered with roof inspections:

• Errant banana peels can create a slipping hazard;
  • Nesting birds can create a pecking hazard; and
  • Low-hanging clouds can create a dreaming hazard.

The bulleted items are stand-alone, complete sentences (noun/subject + verb). Either semi-colons or periods are technically acceptable following each bulleted item, though I’d prefer periods (and deleting the “and” after the second bulleted item). The capped words serve as the first words of complete sentences.

You must change your default settings so that Word stops automatically capping the first word of each new line. Some people won’t do this because they don’t really care, but here at InterNACHI, we’re all about literacy, as well as accuracy…

Cheers,
Kate \:D/

Go get him, Kate. At InterNACHI we don’t screw around.

I added in something about trim, thanks

Mark - I’ll take a look at that thread and have a powow with Kenton, we’ll see what comes of it.

cheers

I don’t argue with her here at InterNACHI’s offices for now over-obvious reasons. :roll:

Don’t blame you! She’s a good one to have around!