Inspector missed termite damage

Local story here in Orlando. WDO report by inspector revealed “no damage”.

Dom.

Piilar to Post is a franchise affiliated with ASHI and NAHI. Hmmm…dude might be in trouble.

It would be interesting to see a copy of the report…

National franchise HI companies mostly are all married to the REA’s. HI’s working for these companies will do and say anything, or nothing, to make their REA happy, and keep the money flowing. Enough said.

Given the size of the opening, how big was the guy who said he didn’t fit up there?

I would assume the attic headroom was about 5’ or over , or he typically would not be required to enter and try to tranverse it. I have a low slope California Ranch with less than 3’ of clearance in most of the attic AND under 2’ in other areas. I would not fit NOR try to access an attic like mine … BUT a skinny guy might fit.

So how tall was this attic.

That neighborhood has small, low attics. but they are inspectable. This part of town is notorious for drywood damage in attics.

Dom.

The video shows a decent size opening, and the reporter reporting from inside the attic. Which is why I thought it was odd the reason given was “won’t fit”.

If the attic temperature was too hot to be safe, or if the video showed a truly small and tight space, I’d understand not entering. But that’s not what was presented as the explanation in the video.

Of course, the video only presented one side of the story, so perhaps there was a reason, but the inspection company did not with to give their side of the story to the reporter.

That attic space looked accessible.

My assistant is 6 feet, 120 lbs.

I haven’t found a hole he cannot fit in! :cool:

120 lbs? Feed the guy.

I pay him well. It looks like his wife is eating up all the food!! :mrgreen:

I’m 6’5 228 and I have covered much smaller attics than that. In my opinion for you guys who think you can’t do a attic because you can’t stand up and walk or have no floor to walk on you ought to look for a different line of work. And if you can’t fit through hatches hire someone to be with you who can. It amazes me the amount of times I’ve read where people state they only stick their heads in the hatch hole and get a pretty good idea of the condition of the attic from there.

I agree. It is virtually impossible to perform an attic inspection that way.

I have ran across one or two that access was completely impossible.

12"x12" hatch hole in a bedroom closet full of clothes and shelving, and a former flat roof with pitched roof built on top of it with no access.

He’s got a state termite operator’s license.
If DACS gets involved, it will show up on the quarterly reprimand list I receive.

Then that fine, etc. will make doo doo of him in court.
Although, it will never make court. State law requires me to carry $500,000 E&O for termite inspections on my license.
The insurance company will most likely pay out.

Applicator’s Name City, State MACKEY, JEFFREY A ORLANDO
FL License No. License Status License Type: JF124326 Normal Certified Pest Control Operator License Categories Termite and Other WDO Control
Original Issue Date Last Issue Date Expiration Date 3/29/2004 6/18/2014 6/1/2015
Company Name PILLAR TO POST PROFESSIONAL HOME INSPECTIONS

Gary, sorry to disagree but that is a rather sweeping statement.
I know a P2P owner here and he runs a very tight ship, multi-inspector firm.
They don’t write soft reports.

If this guy was a InterNACHI inspector you would be defending him to the hilt. Because he is not you are all bashing the hell out of him. Gentlemen, this is a business we are all in together. Each and every one of you has had a missed item at one time or another. We all do . Most of you would hide behind the door also. Also, you are only seeing the media side of the story. The case is in litigation. He has been instructed not to say anything. Also, you are only seeing the media side of the story.

Is he embarrassed. Absolutely. Did he screw up, Most likely. Will he pay. Probably. But just because he does not belong to YOUR organization is no reason for some of the comments on this tread or in other threads on this topic. Remember, it could have been you!

wsiegel,

The problem isn’t that he didn’t find the termites. The problem is that he is totally unqualified to perform a WDO inspection. That’s the problem. He never took http://www.nachi.org/wdocourse.htm

No inspector should be performing WDO inspections for consumers until they have completed InterNACHI’s WDO inspection course.

InterNACHI’s WDO Inspection course is the definitive course for WDO inspectors and has been awarded more governmental approvals and accreditations than any other WDO inspection course. Agencies that have approved our course include:

• Alaska Department of Commerce Community and Economic Development, Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing, Home Inspector Program
  • Alberta Government, Service Alberta
  • Arkansas Home Inspector Registration Board
  • Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection, Home Inspector Licensing Board
  • Colorado Department of Agriculture, Division of Plant Industry
  • Delaware Board of Home Inspector
  • Delaware Department of Agriculture, Pesticide Compliance
  • Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR), Bureau of Education and Testing
  • Georgia Department of Agriculture
  • IAC2
  • Idaho Department of Agriculture
  • Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, Division of Professional Regulation*
  • Indiana Real Estate Commission, Home Inspector Licensing Board
  • InterNACHI
  • International Association of Professional Contractors
  • Kansas Home Inspectors Registration Board
  • Louisiana State Board of Home Inspectors
  • Maine Department of Agriculture, Food & Rural Resources, Board of Pesticides Control
  • Maryland Department of Agriculture, Office of Plant and Pest Management
  • Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources
  • Master Inspector Certification Board
  • Mississippi Home Inspector Board
  • National Environmental Health Association (NEHA)
  • Nevada Department of Agriculture
  • New Hampshire Home Inspector Licensing Board
  • New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, Division of Consumer Affairs, State Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, Home Inspection Advisory Committee
  • New Mexico Department of Agriculture
  • Ohio Department of Agriculture
  • Oklahoma Department of Agriculture
  • Oregon Construction Contractors Board
  • Oregon Department of Agriculture
  • Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
  • Rhode Island Division of Agriculture
  • South Carolina and Clemson University Department of Pesticide Regulation
  • South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, Residential Builders Commission
  • South Dakota Real Estate Commission
  • Tennessee Department of Agriculture
  • Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, Division of Regulatory Boards, Home Inspector Licensing Division
  • Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC)
  • Utah Department of Agriculture
  • Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets
  • Washington State Department of Agriculture
  • West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety, State Fire Marshal’s Office
  • Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing
  • Wyoming Department of Agriculture

Non-members have no business performing inspections for the public.

Who’s bashing him?

All I see is a discussion about what may have happened to lead to this report.

He is a licensed pest control operator and has been in business for 13 years. Just because you have a course on how to inspect for termites does not make one a termite inspector. Florida has strict regulations on who can perform an inspection and the education to go along with it. The department of Entomology will do their investigation and make their determination. He may have a steep price to pay. But throwing him under the bus accomplishes nothing. Oh, and by the way, there are many ‘non members’ who are perfectly capable of doing inspections without your education. There is plenty of other good education out there. It time you got of your high horse and realized that