Jurisdictions adopting the 2012 IRC

**Wood I-Joist Floors, Firefighters and Fire from APA Article. **

The following new fire-protective membrane, will be required for floor assemblies.

***[size=2]R501.3 Fire protection of floors. *[/size][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2]Floor assemblies, not required elsewhere in this code to be fire resistance rated, shall be provided with a 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum wallboard membrane, 5/8-inch (16 mm) wood structural panel membrane, or equivalent on the underside of the floor framing member. [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2]There are a few exceptions listed for this requirement. [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
*[FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2]:slight_smile:
*[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

http://i-joist.org/pdf/2011_04_14_WIJMA_MembraneProtectionStatement_Final.pdf

[FONT=Helvetica][size=3]The Designer and Builder shall consult with
the local building department or authority having jurisdiction for specific requirements of fire protection in any building.:slight_smile:
[/size][/FONT]

How do I meet the new requirement for membrane protection in the 2012 International Residential Code?

the local building department or authority having jurisdiction for specific requirements of fire protection in any building.:smile:
[/size][/FONT]

Duh! :roll::roll:

the local building department or authority having jurisdiction for specific requirements of fire protection in any building.:smile:
[/size][/FONT]

:)You don’t qualify for the underlined above, so you can’t relate to it, can you.

Can you inspect instead of stalking?

You will never change will you?

Another dead thread because of Mr. Larson.

Congratulations.

Listen Marcel.

You posted incomplete information to which I added relevant info to inspectors who might care.

Take the damn chip off you shoulder and try to get along and be helpful.

Click on your state to find which codes your state has adopted.

So now you are saying APA is posting the wrong information to the public. ??

Well take the chip of my shoulder, I never had one.

[size=2]Starting from January 1, 2011, one- and two-family dwellings are required by the IBC and IRC to be sprinklered (2009 and 2012 IBC Section 903.2.8, and 2009 and 2012 IRC Section R313.2). However, not all local jurisdictions in the U.S. have adopted these provisions for the use of sprinkler systems as an active home fire protection system. In the 2012 IRC, the following new fire protective membrane provisions are required: [/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]
*[size=2][size=2]R501.3 Fire protection of floors. [/size][/size][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2]Floor assemblies, not required elsewhere in this code to be fire resistance rated, shall be provided with a 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum wallboard membrane, 5/8-inch (16 mm) wood structural panel membrane, or equivalent on the underside of the floor framing member. [/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT]
*[FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2]
[size=3][size=3]Exceptions:
**[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2]1. Floor assemblies located directly over a space protected by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section P2904, NFPA13D, or other approved equivalent sprinkler system.
2. Floor assemblies located directly over a crawl space not intended for storage or fuel-fired appliances.
3. Portions of floor assemblies can be unprotected when complying with the following:
3.1 The aggregate area of the unprotected portions shall not exceed 80 square feet per story
3.2 Fire blocking in accordance with Section R302.11.1 shall be installed along the perimeter of the unprotected portion to separate the unprotected portion from the remainder of the floor assembly.
4. Wood floor assemblies using dimension lumber or structural composite lumber equal to or greater than 2-inch by 10-inch (50.8 mm by 254 mm) nominal dimension, or other approved floor assemblies demonstrating equivalent fire performance.
*[/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2][FONT=Berkeley,Berkeley][size=2]It should be noted that these fire protective membrane provisions apply to not only I-joist floors but all residential floor assemblies, including floor trusses, light-gauge steel framing, and dimension lumber and structural composite lumber less than 2-inch by 10-inch nominal dimension. This provision becomes effective when adopted by the local jurisdiction.

If you think I posted the wrong information, as you are so eager to proof me wrong and make me look bad,
send your complaint to these people here where the information came from;

**[size=1][size=1]APA PRODUCT SUPPORT HELP DESK: **[/size][/size][/size][/size][FONT=Futura BT,Futura BT][FONT=Futura BT,Futura BT][size=1][FONT=Futura BT,Futura BT]size=1 620-7400 [/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Futura BT,Futura BT][size=1][FONT=Futura BT,Futura BT][size=1]■ [/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Futura BT,Futura BT][size=1][FONT=Futura BT,Futura BT][size=1]E-mail: help@apawood.org [/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Futura BT,Futura BT][size=1][FONT=Futura BT,Futura BT][size=1][/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Futura BT,Futura BT][size=1][FONT=Futura BT,Futura BT][size=1]Just dial the number and do what you do best. BS.
[/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]*[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/size]

Please Marcel.

Get the chip off your shoulder.

I posted no such thing. Go back and read it again.

Not all areas use the IRC and you provided no link to additional information as your’s was incomplete. Look it up if you have to.

Also note the requirement for a blower door test on new homes and additions.

And CO monitors.

I know exactly what I posted, and to say it was incomplete is just your way of demeaning someone by saying he does not have the correct information.
The reason I posted just what I had, is because it is a PDF from APA and you need to be a member to see it. So there was no link to provide.

You posted information from another source and dated 1 year old.

I posted something updated and ready to reply to any questions about the post I posted.

You can’t be courteous about anything to anyone on this forum.
You put words out in everyone’s mouths to make yourself look good.

[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]I would appreciate your effort to not respond, reply, ask questions or anything else to any of my post. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Thank you. [/FONT]

You still can’t lose the chip can you?

I posted the exceptions and the ability for inspectors to find out what codes wee applicable in their state.

I guess that is some how “demeaning” to you. :roll:

I made no comments directed at you so please just stop your silly rant.

You sound like Roy.

I guess you can’t read either huh!!

[FONT=Times New Roman]I would appreciate your effort to not respond, reply, ask questions or anything else to any of my post. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Thank you. [/FONT]

Please stop following me around like a little puppy.

WTF are you talking about, this was my thread until you screwed it up.
You got it backwards a ss again.

Adding relevant info to your thread is offensive?

Well, EXcUUUUUUUse me for living. :roll:

Looks like you have acquired one of Roy’s stalkers, Marcel.

The only known remedy is to ignore them until they find another host to feed on.