What Makes A Good Home Inspector

Interesting read… a very long response by a lot of people… wow.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20080618132021AAtWjz7
](“http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20080618132021AAtWjz7”)

John,

Did you notice a fast majority wants their home inspector to know code. So telling a potential client your not a code inspector might not be the best idea for future business. That’s why I keep code manuals with me at all times just in case I have to look something up. Do you run into clients asking you such questions alot?

Bill

Better yet, pay the money, study FOR REAL, and get ICC certified.

Its worth it.

Right on!!

Any of you have a link to ICC certification?

Thanks Bill

www.iccsafe.org

Thank you!

Saddled with houses with structural, electrical and other major issues someone should have noticed, people end up paying for nasty surprises years after they’ve moved in and made any cosmetic changes.

We’re supposed to see years down the road now??? Even Mike Holmes can’t predict the future…

…can he?

Very true Jay.

This whole set up is a joke. It is all about publicity and money. Not the real World of work.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Much of the problem I see at least locally, you have a large segment of the public that wants a $2000 home inspection for $200, with unlimited liability, psychic ability to predict which systems will fail well into the future, on site inspection reports with digital photos, thermal imaging, lead, water and IAQ testing and a guarantee that nothing bad will ever happen to them for the rest of their lives or until they can sell the home for 3 times what they paid for it. The same people who would not bat an eye at paying a mechanic 2-300 dollars to look over a $20K used automobile balk and roll their eyes when you tell them the price of a home inspection for a 3-400,000 dollar house. The mechanic may be honest and tell them the truth but chances are even that he will find something wrong that will need to be corrected to make the car safe to operate. The HI should not have any such after market interests in the home; just the inspection and no repairs. They will gaff off your advise about dangerous electrical issues, mold, rot and every other thing under the sun just to get into the house of their dreams. Now, here is the kicker…much of this can be laid right at the doorsteps of Home Inspectors who keeps giving away services, undermining other Home inspectors by bad-mouthing them without even knowing them or their qualifications, just to get that job. Too many are in this with a Handyman mentality and budget and put the entire profession in a bad or at minimum a poor light. Catering to Realtors just to be on their “short list”. Judging from many of the responses the public does not know what they want and are under many false or misguided assumptions (being Bonded will make you a good HI?!).

Seems to be universal…

What Makes A Good Inspector:

[ul]
[li]Experienced[/li][SIZE=2]
[li]Professionally qualified[/li]
[li]Not in the business of repairing defects discovered during an inspection.[/li]
[li]A member of a professional home inspectors association like the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors.[/li][li]Covered by errors and omissions insurance[/li]
[li]Willing to have you attend the inspection[/li]
[li]Able to provide a comprehensive home inspection[/li]
[li]Willing to provide at least three references[/li]
[li]Able to provide a written report within two or three days[/li]
[li]Available to answer your questions in the future.[/SIZE][/ul][/li]So what is the problem?

Just thought I would point out the basics. ha. ha.

Marcel :grin: :smile:

And not make the customer sign a waiver clause limiting liability to the cost of the inspection…very unprofessional!!

Unbelievable! What a moron you are.

Do your doctors, lawyers, dentists, engineers, mechanics, gasfitters, etc have a “Waiver Clause”, you must sign before using their services?

Oh!! BTW, British Columbia, in their consultation process leading up to licensing, had a question about “waiver clauses”- should they be allowed? or something to that effect. Will be interesting as to what their regs look like.

I agree with Brian. Most home inspectors I have met and seen their reports are CLUELESS.

They need their little waivers because they are borderline retarded, wanna-be inspectors. It is a shame.

Of the people that post here though, only maybe 20% seem to be clueless. But unfortunately in my area, 75% of the inspectors think they are ICC Certified inspectors. It’s laughable.

Umm, yeah. Thursday I had to sign a paper that basically absolved the doctor, nurses and hospital of all liability for my death or disability, as well as for loss due to theft and so on, in the event such happened during the course of testing my ICD (other than if it happened as a result of negligence, which no waiver in the world would get you out of that anyways). And these professionals are flat out amazing at there jobs; I wouldn’t have bounced back to perfectly normal health if it wasn’t for their uncomparable professionalism.

thanks for the reddie that was left by someone, unclaimed!

I hope your wife has a real man on the side cause lord knows you are missing your package.

Must be the private medical system. With the US known to be so litigious, they must do all they can to protect themselves. The only time I have heard of this up here is when there is a poor chance of success with a procedure but the patient wants to go forward with it…docs want to protect themselves when things fail!!! Good to hear yours did their job well!

What about the others? Are you signing waivers before they do work for you?

Too funny!, do you want a fresh one?:shock: