How many amps and volts is this panel?

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22378&stc=1&d=1214928498

Yesterday I came upon this panel, it is larger than I usually come across around here. Could somebody please tell me their opinion. It appears to me to be an 800 amp panel, but that seems large, and why are there 4 conductor lines?

If this is the main disconnect means, without having more info such as the SEC size and #, my first guess is a 240 volt, 400 amp service. Check the panel data and see if it is rated for 400 amps.

Sorry, hope this helps.

Its a 240 volt meter but…?? Take this to the electrical section.

It is a 200 Amp 120/240 Volt panel. There are (4) staggered 50A bus bars in this panel.

50A at 120 volts?

ODD!! Have never seen anything like that in my neck of the woods!!

Why wouldn’t each pair of bus bars (240 volts bar to bar) be protected by 100 amp breakers?

Brand? Reference? Pictures?

PS:
Thanks, James. Got the answers in Electrical.

Why… Cause its not, thats why. GE, look it up yourself.

From same topic on electrical thread:

That main breaker is factory installed and part of a UL listed assembly so it’s not a issue. FYI that type of breaker was common on ITE*, GE* and some Cutler-Hammer “All in ones” all they are is 2 - 100 A 2 pole breakers paralelled together .

Is this last answer incorrect??

[quote=dkraemer]
http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22378&stc=1&d=1214928498

Yesterday I came upon this panel, it is larger than I usually come across around here. Could somebody please tell me their opinion. It appears to me to be an 800 amp panel, but that seems large, and why are there 4 conductor lines?/quote

David,

It is a 200 Ampere 240v panel. It is probably 3-phase 4-wire. The reason I said it is “probably” 3-phase 4-wire is because there is a very slim possibility of it being 2-phase.

In a perfect World, the fourth wire would not be on a breaker. If it is a corner grounded Delta connection, it ought to be identified. In most parts of the US of A the fourth leg (aka “Hi-leg” or “Wild-leg”) would be identified with orange tape.

It is not a 3-phase 4-wire panel, repeat NOT. It is a single-phase 200 Amp house panel manufactured by GE. The buss configuration is their design, the CB is simply ganged, the rating is for the entire ganged configuration.

BTW it is doubtful that you have ever seen a 2-phase panel, (2-hot legs & 2-neutrals), it just ain’t used anymore because of the cost of transmission, 3-phase power is cheaper to produce & transmit over long distances. If you are seeing 2-phase it is most likely fused and in an old industrial environment somewhere on the east coast of the united states.

240 delta is a three phase configuration, again the panel in the picture ain’t 3-phase. In a three phase panel there is 3-hot conductors and possibly a neutral. The picture shown is simply a ganged CB with staggered 120-volt A & B phases.

I agree with Joe (although he will never know it since I’m on his 'Ignore List", but that’s OK). Just look at the wiring diagram visible in one photo to see the ganged breakers connected; one set to phase A, the other set to phase B. It is definitely not a 3-phase panel.
http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22385&d=1214955931