How many pictures do you take?

Was transferring my pictures from yesterday’s inspection and was surprised at how many I took - 510!. That was a record for me. I think I was at about 400 on another. How many pictures do you take on an average inspection?

Enough to cover my as

Enough to show the conditions of the home and document my findings in the report. Nowhere near 400, but then, I can remember inspections on 3 part NCR paper with no pictures.:mrgreen:

There is already a long running poll on that John but how many of that record number will you be adding to the report and what type of software?

Blaine, didn’t you use the 4-part carbon copies like I used? Heck, just a few years ago, nobody took pictures at an inspection. Now, it is about 150 per.

Somebody should blog about this.

I’m usually at about 50 to 60 per, but the average house here is a 1500 sq. ft. 3/2/2 on a slab with a heat pump. I only take pics of things that I am documenting (not of a loose toilet just to show a picture of a toilet and say it’s loose) or of conditions that reduce or prevent visibility.

I do remember 4 part carbon, now that you mention it. Crap, I’m old…:shock::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Hello mes amis,
If I may share, I take approximatively 150 pictures including pictures of the client (with permission) as I find it makes everybody confortable.

Afterwards those pictures are all sent to the client.

Next will follow the report with some of the previously seen pictures.

The agreement states that I retain ownership of those pictures in case I may need them for other purpose. (Like sharing with NACHI).

The question should be how many pictures do you sent your client!
(I send all).

Salut,

Marc-Andre from Brossard Quebec Canada.

Bonjour, Marc-André - Envoyez-les tous. C’est bonne politique.

Joe

I take 100-150 for each. I have only the photos to the client one time when he asked for them. But taking lots of pics helps. Had a client call asking if the garbage disposal worked at the inspection. I said it did. She then asked if I had any pictures because when they closed the disposal was gone and the seller said there never was a disposal. I sent her a picture of the area under the sink to show the disposal. Seller had to cough up a new disposal. I was her hero. One picure saved her a couple of hundred $.

I like the word “confortable”.

Make sure you take pictures of each appliance. Take pictures of limited access points; stored items in the garage and/or basement, walls, etc. Take pictures of the electrical meter, outside A/C, water lines, sewer lines, covered areas, etc. It will save your back side someday. Read Joe’s blog often to remind yourself. Heck, if I cannot inspect closets and under sink cabinets, I will take a picture. Attic, boxes that limit your access, etc. Make darn sure your date is turned on so you date every picture. Take a picture of each side of the exterior of the home. If there is a car in the garage, take a picture, but leave out the license plate.

One but with a really, really, really wide lens!

I take pictures of all exterior elevations, if the property is furnished every room. All defects, the roof,attic, appliances, AC, water heater and crawl so there is never a question that I inspected them. Generally around 50/60 all go in the report at there designated location.

I take pictures where they help me as well as explain an item in a report that is not easily demonstrated (or documented) by a simple narrative. As Blaine mentioned, having a picture of a toilet or outlet to document a simple condition doesn’t really help anyone.

Some of the most important pics I’ve taken, are simply all exteriors of the home, individual rooms and I’ll take pics of the planes of the roof as well. Having said that, that’s less than 15-20 pics of the home… along with defects where needed etc…

I take pictures of open electrical panels, as I’ve had a call or two about defects after the inspection… funny when you can show someone that breakers have been added or other work that has been done since you’ve been there.

I’m guessing 30-60 or so end up in the report.

We take on average about 45-75 per house. We send about 20 with report. Like somebody already said, we don’t waste time taking pictures of a toilet and SAY “the toilet is loose”, OR take a picture of a doorknob and say " the doorknob does not work".

We try and take pictures of fairly funny stuff like whats here to show my buyer why I think the 3.5 year old house lacked permits, etc OR to show why I did not inspect the drive or roof:

Hi John

A picture of every defect goes into the report, if its 10 or 200, they all go into the report so nobody is ever calling me asking why something may not be what they expected it to be.

Past or present leaks at waste water or domestic water piping, roof coverings, electrical issues, even if its a receptacle with reverse polarity, etc, etc. I don’t have anyone ever call me asking what does something mean, or what exactly did I say…

The pictures are in the report with words typed in the pictures, explaining the exact problem I’m talking about.

Bob, I will likely only put in only a handful of them - a few dozen maybe, definitely not the whole lot. I primarily take so many photos so I have them for reference when writing the report. I took your advice some time back and took them in a higher resolution (definitely helps when needed to zoom in on details). I also take them to document any defects any to document inaccessible areas. And I’m using the Homegauge software. Cheers.

Joe, that is interesting. I just had a client ask me for a copy of all the pictures I took at the inspection. I am reluctant to do so for the reasons in your article. Not that I’m not confident in my ability to report on observed defects, but I’m definitely not perfect either. I feel if the client has an issue later on I can use the photos to my advantage if needed, and not the other way around.