Need A Recommendation For Binoculars

I’m looking for a recommendation for a set of binoculars for inspections. I’d like to stay around 100 bucks.

You really don’t need a set of high powered binoculars. Most times, you’re standing across the street and looking at the roof. If you get a set of binoculars that are too powerful, you end up with a tiny view and a minimum depth of focus that is too far out.

IMHO, go with a cheap low powered set of binoculars. Should cost about $20 to $40 at Target.

For me, there’s nothing that compare to walking on the roof if it’s safe to.

There are far too many things you can’t see if you don’t walk the roof (when conditions permit). I have a simple small set I bought at Harbor Freight tools but rarely use them. You just can’t possibly see backs of pipe penetration flashing from the street so I walk it.

I have a 25 power spotting scope used cost $30.00 and a adjustable try pod used $10;00.
It will show me almost every thing about the roof from up to 400 feet away.
This how far I had to go up a hill to see a three story home and they had replaced three sides of the roof as that is all most people could see, saved my day .
Love yard sales
Roy Cooke

A good set will include the 8 X 40. (The exit dia. equals the pupil, no squinting) weather resistant, takes the knocks and have coated optics.
I’ve had mine now for 37 years. I paid a premium price but they are well worth their usefulness.
T.Neyedli
www.alphahomeinspections.ca

I know that alot of people say DON"T WALK THE ROOF, but I’ll tell you if I hired a Home Inspector and he didn’t walk my roof if possible, I would take him to court and or stop payment on the check. Now I know that that there are certain situations which will stop a Home Inspector from walking the roof, such as weather and pitch. If at all possible, the roof should be accessed. I know that we all worry about a law suit against us, but you have to view things from the buyers point of view. I know that I have been a buyer many tiimes and the inspectors I have had, sucked!!! I treat every home like I was buying it, and will do what ever I can to examine it the best I can, not matter what it takes.

I wish you lots of luck in the inspection industry .
There are a lot of very experienced inspectors here and it might be a good idea to read and look at many of the posts that have been made .
They have survived the test of time and I do hope you are as successful as many here are .
Roy Cooke

if it’s tile…, i won’t walk it… too much chance of cracking one…and then i have to pay.

I suggest getting some high quality 10 x 50’s with the red lenses (helps with glare) There are many to choose from and it goes from $100- $1000 dollars.

These

are excelent, but very expensive.

Not if you agreed to his SOP in advance that did not require him to. Spending some “up front” time explaining the inspection…what it does and does not do…how you perform it and why…etc…goes a long way in having a satisfied client.

You are 100% profiscient and 100% honest when you do exactly what you tell your client you are going to do and, accordingly, can expect them to be 100% satisfied.

Leaving it to them to guess as to how you will do your inspection and/or how you came to certain conclusions can lead to misunderstandings and the results you described in your post.

1 Like