No I am not Brian Kelly (a poll)

For you newbies Brian is a member who does not post much anymore but is famous for his polls which we never see much of anymore here either.

My question is how important do you guys think fast typing skills are in this profession ?

When I started out my typing rate was how fast I could hunt and peck at a key while squinting.
Much as I post my skills are limited to to 6 middle fingers as I have no training.Still look at the keyboard though I know where the keys are and am maybe at about 40 words per minute (sad but true)

Never owned a computer till I started this business 6-7 years ago and Will Decker rode out with me on my first Condo Inspection.(yep true)

Mike .R posted a thread about note taking that had me thinking just how really important fast typing skills are in order to get through my day.

My question (finally) is do you think typing skills are very important and how fast do you type?

Just curious if I am the norm or an aberration.(keep comments to typing please) lol

I took typing a long time ago in the 7th grade, on an actual typewriter :), and the class has served me well. It’s kind of like a bike, you never forget how.

The swype keyboard on the HP Slate is an amazing tool though. I think I am going to enjoy that feature.

My entire military career has been on a computer. I can type without looking, few mistakes except for my own spelling mistakes, probably around 70 wpm. Computers are a way of life now. I simply would be lost without them.

Damn you guys.
Loved the idea of computers in Grammer school,spent H.S trying to be cool then scored as belonging in electronics communication on the ACT test but never got into it.

Only way to catch up with you geeks is learning to type fast.
Need to put keyboard training on my list ahead of the IR training or any aux service in my opinion.

Thinking slow is fine as long as it is proper.:slight_smile:
You young man are blessed with both.

[FONT=Verdana]I chose typing while in grade 10 many years ago and enjoyed it.

Typewriters at that time were manual and without any markings on the keys, best way to learn in my opinion!

At that time, I clocked 40+ WPM without looking at the keyboard and without any mistakes. Typing mistakes reduced my count considerably…

Typing is something we do practically every day.[/FONT]

Agree!

Just as typing without mistakes is, just saying.:stuck_out_tongue:

Just saying what ?or was not finishing that thought intentional buddy.:cool:
(better a typo than a mistaken thought …eh)

Don’t know, don’t care. I get the job done.

Read through any given thread on this MB. Speed is overrated! Accuracy is much more important.

If you must know, I took a speed test online a few years ago. I came in around 40 wpm. Very sufficient, in my opinion, for this old clunker!

Back in high school, I took a typing class which was part of a block, bachelor know how (cooking) and then drivers education was the other half of the semester.
I got up to 60 wpm but now, I suspect it is around 45.
I’ll have to pull the old typewriter out of the closet and post a picture of it. It is an old manual one.

According to this speed test I am at 33 WPM with 7 mistakes. Ill take option Number 2. I also had no formal training. I am self taught.
http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php

I consider myself the hunt and peck type but I’m pretty fast at it. Using SwiftKey on my Galaxy kinda takes care of that though :slight_smile:

Note taking? Who does that? I have not taken notes in years…just photographs and video. As far as typing goes I guess that depends on if you are doing the report while on the job. In that case you better be able to type fast otherwise you would be there all day.

I got my first PC (TRS-80) from Radio Shack when I was around 9 so I’ve been typing for 30 years.

I think I’m up to 8 WPM now.

I definitely need to take a class.

I can type faster than anyone I know.

Back when I was in high school, men didn’t learn to type. Companies had typing pools full of women. My Mom was a secretary. Typing was what she knew.

When I dropped out of high school, she made me type her two pages a day using the right fingers for each key. It was all she could teach me. If I typed her two pages, she wouldn’t harass me for not going to school each day. What a waste of time (I thought).

And then years later… Al Gore invents the internet. :wink:

Thanks Mom.

Good comments so far.

You are very correct .
Was noticing how every time I go back to fix a typo it takes more time than one thinks to get that word highlighted right click and start again.

But does it help you text as fast as a 12 year old girl?

OMG:p NO!!! It’s amazing to watch them text! (Swiftkey is on my Galaxy Player 5.0… not a phone.)