No images in report

My Grandson just had a home inspection done in Florida and the report did not include any images of defects found. Is this standard practice in Florida?
Also, it appears that this inspector is tied in with the real estate agent.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cam LaFrance
Adrian Mo

Photo’s are Optional in most places and i do not know about Fl. What makes you feel the ties with a Agent?

Tell your son to have it inspected again. This time, after doing some research, by someone he chooses himself.

Since real estate salesmen do not make a nickel unless they sell a house, it is reasonable and prudent to expect them to limit their recommendations to only those inspectors they can trust to provide reports that do not interfere with their purpose.

While photographs are not essential to a home inspection report, if your grandson cannot fully understand the condition of the home from the descriptions provided in the report he should refuse to accept it and seek a complete, accurate and unbiased report from an inspector of his choosing who is not connected with anyone who will financially gain from his decision to buy the house.

Very few, if any, inspectors are “tied in” with real estate agents. However, as with all people, real estate agents get comfortable with home inspectors. Just like you do with your auto mechanic, the grocery store clerk, your dry cleaner, barber, etc.

Usually what differentiates a home inspector with real estate agents is how the report is written, how the inspection is conducted, how the inspector talks and intereacts with the client, even what kind of vehicle the inspector drives and how the inspector dresses.

I don’t put pictures in the report just for the sake of putting pictures in the report or proving to someone that I know how to use a camera, how to take pictures, and how to put pictures in a report.

I have seen reports that had 200 pictures in them, of everything from the chipped sink basin, to peeling paint, to a torn screen. I only put pictures in the report if the problem was somewhere I went that my client didn’t, like up in the attic or under the house, or if what I’m talking about doesn’t have a layperson’s term, like a TPR relief valve on the water heater.

Many of my condo reports have no pictures because many of the condos here don’t have attics, don’t have water heaters, don’t have laundry rooms, etc.

If you have any concerns with your specific inspector, though, call him/her and discuss your concerns with the inspector.

Good advice…

Cam.is there anything specific you noticed besides lack of pictures in the report that bothered you.

Many of the old timers never used photos as the tech was not as good when they started or they use a software they developed on their own which they may be proud of but continue to use even though out of date and based on word formats so it does not mean he missed anything but may be trying to save himself time and unhappy clients are sometimes the result.

This is why I make sure to take lots of photos of each and every item I looked at in order to be sure nothing was missed and can be recalled if it goes in the report or not.

I would call the guy up and ask him to go over every item with you then come back here and let us know if is information was lacking in any area.

Photos are not necessary or required.

Photos are just more fluff “Most” of the time when in a report.

Many defects really do not show well in photos anyhow.

If the report is clear and states what the defects are and the client can understand it it is fine.

Photos are a great tool for the inspector to use as references while writing the report as things you may have forgotten are sometimes visible.

I think many feel it shows that they at least looked at something.

I find myself using less photos as time goes on.

Many people do not want pictures taken in their home …
I was told there have been court cases where pictures have been taken .
Do you all ask permission from the home owner first???

I have heard of this. Most of the time the owner is not present during my inspections. When they are, I do ask as well as I ask if there are any areas of the house they do not want me to inspect (I have had a couple owners tell me they do not want to go into their walk-in closet, so I disclaimed those areas).

I disagree. If the defect doesn’t really show, it is because of the person taking the photo. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the camera to focus, especially in an attic or crawlspace, where the lighting isn’t very good.

William,

Unlevel floors

Cracks in ceilings or high on walls.

Toilet that runs.

incorrectly wired outlets.

Doors or windows that are difficult to operate.

A/C that barley blows.

Etc… Do I need to go on?

Many times it may show defect that inspectors will see and understand but homeowners will not see or understand.

Exactly.
Unfortunately many Inspectors are trying to claim superior service while shortchanging the clients in order to save time.

People work hard for their money and a guy clicking on checkboxes with few if any photos is simply going through the motions which may satisfy SOP but not really doing a service for the client.

I find often a husband of wife may not make the inspection and they are always grateful for a full and complete report that shows them issues they as non professionals need to help them understand what all the inspector speak means.

Example : Electric[doubletap]

Most non inspectors have no idea what that means but through in a photo of the issue along with a definition and it suddenly makes sense.

Some inspectors are doing 4 inspections a day and claim to be doing a good job but I find short changing my clients is a bad idea in a competitive market.
Those that do less will always say more is not needed.

I also include photos of Double Tap with my big fat finger pointing to it :slight_smile:

That is an example of a good reason to take a photo.

Paint failing on the other hand my not make a good picture unless it is flaking or something .

Although not necessary, there is a phrase that comes to mind, “A picture is worth a thousand words”.

I take pictures of every defect in the home as well as some other photos for reference and a few others. I think the average report has around 100 pictures in it. None of my customers have ever said they were fluff.

Thorough is the word used most often.

I also take a ton of pictures but do not feel it is not necessary to include them all in the report.

I do not feel I need to justify my fee by creating as many pages as possible. Not that you do Eric but a great many others do. It is right up there with what I call inventorying a home.

I do inventory a home.Example is the extra paint cans which may disappear or screens in a closet rather than on the windows which proves they were there and that paint can be matched if needed.

These are the little things that my clients appreciate and tell others about when referring me.

Here are few more just in case it’s really hard to take a picture of a deficiency :wink:

Or one way is to put a piece of paper at the return. If it is sucked to the grill, you know it works or not. This particular house was a New construction final phase inspection. All the other rooms were ice cold. No temp. difference in this room indicated the possibility of a damper being shut. The HVAC tech came and sure enough, the damper was shut.

I’m sure anybody would understand what are in the photos I just posted wouldn’t you think?

…Or how about the multiple paint cans/stains/solvents and lumber stored underneath the staircase of a three level Townhouse! You do know that most paints/etc. are classified as HazMat and Flammable, right? Don’t you think your client has a right to know these are present, and he/his family could be trapped if ignited?

Those losing a any debate always take discussion to ridiculous proportions when faced with being on the losing end of an argument.
No picture needed…lol

The fast track checklist “only” guys can continue as I have already made my point.:slight_smile: