No statute of limitations

I attended a ASHI meeting yesterday where the Arizona BTR put on a mock enforcement committee interview for a complaint against a home inspector. It was informative and a real eye opener. I am a member of the enforcement advisory committee and have done a few inspections with the BTR investigators to help substantiate or unsubstantiate complaints. Every home inspector in Arizona should have attended this meeting. Unfortunatley it is very difficult to get the NACHI membership together.

There is legislation in Arizona that does NOT allow a statute of limitations on a complaint against a home inspector. This same legislation allows anyone to make a complaint. The complaint can come from the real estate agent, the seller or the sellers uncle. If the complaint is substatiated then the respondant must go through the process. Tomorrow I will begin to contact the Legislators in my district and I urge all Arizona members to do the same. That law should be changed.

I don’t understand why organizations like ASHI and InterNachi don’t use their influence and contact these legislators.

Thanks Gary for the report . I do not think we should blame the assocciations .

It is the Inspectors who do not support these associations who are at fault .
Good luck tomorrow I do hope others try and do the same … Roy

("** Tomorrow I will begin to contact the Legislators in my district and I urge all Arizona members to do the same. That law should be changed**. ")

Again, this is a ploy by all real estate associations to “pass the buck”. It is happening everywhere. RE’s just do not want the liability, and when a complaint arises, we get the call, and the lawsuit.

Inspectors should have the right to counter-sue when these complaints arise, especially when they are frivilous. There is no replacement for a good PIA.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn’t it A$HI the ones who got the law to go through in Arizona? Hep, they sure contacted their legislators on that one.:roll: