Pre Drywall Inspection

Anybody ever done one of these? I have a lead on one and was wondering. Is there a checklist or something anywhere for this?

ADAIR INSPECTION performs Phase Inspectionsin the D/FW market
I-Codes are the checklist, extensive construction background & knowledge are a must for doing these correctly

I do these only once in awhile and yes as Barry points out it really helps to have a background in building. I was a hands on GC for 22 years so I have some experience.

If it’s a house being built by a reputable national firm then you’ll probably find only small things that are wrong/missed.

If it’s a one off by a local guy then you better keep your eyes wide open or maybe defer to someone with more experience. Or maybe go with a more experienced inspector to learn!

Jason, I just happened to do one yesterday, here are a few pics for you.

First one is just an overview shot.
2nd shows some missing insulation under a bump out.
3rd shows a missing roof boot.
4th shows a fully nailed tie down ( all were fully nailed )
5th shows that floor penetrations were sealed properly to help prevent spread of fire/smoke.

Hope thats helps a bit!

Tom

P1020836.jpg

P1020841.jpg

P1020849.jpg

P1020848.jpg

P1020837.jpg

Know how to read and understand building plans.

Hi Greg, why do you say that?
I don’t look at building plans I look at the building.

ty for outing yourself…without the plans you haven’t a clue what’s supposed to be built nor what may be right or wrong

You’re welcome Barry, though I respect your posts in general you’re dead wrong on this one and I’m a bit surprised coming from you.

Lets go one by one given the photos I posted. Ok?

These are cookie cutter townhouses with minor variations. So how
do I not know what is supposed to be built??? :roll:

As far as what is right or wrong goes, I’m mean jeez Barry that’s what
I’m there to determine.

I was a GC for 22 years running my own residential firm. I kinda think I know a bit about framing after all that. Not to mention all the other systems.

Please explain your attitude.

Tom

Thanks for the pictures Thomas. They are helpful.

i’ll be your huckleberry this 1 time

questions that require plans based on your pix

1. did the architect & stamped approved plans spec brick or another siding?

2. absent insulation, most laymen would observe…even a blind pig gets an acorn occasionally

3. did the architect & stamped approved plans spec that type roofing material?

4. clients don’t expect me to fluff an inspection/report with non-deficient items…are those the arch-plan specd connectors?

5. clients don’t expect me to fluff an inspection/report with non-deficient items…is that the arch-plan specd fire-smoke sealant?

without the plans you azz-u-“me” a lot…i don’t intended to be the “me”

do whatever works for you but don’t try and “train” here without receiving the same scrutiny i practice in the field for my clientele

they have to pay for this ;~))

[quote=“badair, post:10, topic:87212”]

i’ll be your huckleberry this 1 time

questions that require plans based on your pix

1. did the architect & stamped approved plans spec brick or another siding?

Actually the specs approved cotton candy siding!

1. absent insulation, most laymen would observe…even a blind pig gets an acorn occasionally

Thanks for calling me a blind pig! Just Love them texass colloquialisms! U people r so colorful!

1. did the architect & stamped approved plans spec that type roofing material?

No, the local pastor spec’d out the white EPDM

1. clients don’t expect me to fluff an inspection/report with non-deficient items…are those the arch-plan specd connectors?

Again, no the local ArchBishop was told to install those from The Lord Above!

1. clients don’t expect me to fluff an inspection/report with non-deficient items…is that the arch-plan specd fire-smoke sealant?

No, The Lord Bezelbub required the sealant! And by the way you haven’t seen my report so wtf?

without the plans you azz-u-“me” a lot…i don’t intended to be the “me”

You can keep your azz to yourself, I don’t swing that way.:roll:

do whatever works for you but don’t try and “train” here without receiving the same scrutiny i practice in the field for my clientele

And the same to you Barry, go in peach! :wink:

You have a bad day down there Boy?

You are welcome, feel free to shoot me any questions and beware of grumpy old farts from the sticks! :cool:

TW
just keepin’ it real
here’s an obvious 1 from yesterday
what are the no plans needed 2 major defects in these 2 images?

DSC00009 (Small).JPG

DSC00010 (Small).JPG

I consider a pre-drywall inspection to be a code inspection. Knowledge of construction, the IRC or IBC and the IECC is essential.

I have a lead on a 5080 sq foot pre drywall and final walkthru inspection. Any ideas for pricing in the north Florida area? I was thinking around 500 per visit. Is that about right? Thanks all!

Hello everyone:

I feel honored to be here. Thank you very much all the InterNACHI members (experienced, less experienced or not so experienced ) to share your opinions and expertise in Drywall inspections. I got my answer. Thank you very much gentleman.

Nasir
Local Home Inspections LLC

863-513-9426