Previous report provided for an inspection

Sometimes I’m given a home inspection report for the property I’m to inspect, that was written at some point in the past (typically a couple of years ago, but sometimes recently). Agents and/or clients ask me to review the past report before I perform my inspection, and comment on repairs that have been made subsequent to or as a result of the prior inspection. Does this ever happen to you? To me, this is equivalent to a “re-inspection”, and it irks me when people assume this is part of my normal home inspection. If/when this happens to you, how do you handle it?

-Jim Gallant

I’m always looking for information regarding the condition of the property I’m inspecting. I have the agent and buyer review the other report, looking for substantial items of interest. I’ll also ask to see the California Seller’s Transfer Disclosure Statement, Termite Report, Geology Report and anything else of interest. I’ll also advise the client to obtain a current copy of the “CLUE” insurance claims database report on the subject property prior to close of escrow. The “CLUE” report can be obtained by the buyers independent insurance agent or through www.choicepoint.com for a small fee. Dig, dig, dig and disclose everything you can get your hands on. Your client will love you for your efforts.

I hear you, but I typically find that I would have found virtually everything in most reports I see. But the added time it takes to read some reports, and confirm item by item what’s been observed/fixed is significant ($$$).

I like to see the other report when I’m finished…then I can skip over all the stuff I already found…

I have no problem at all looking at the other stuff that the other guy found that had either been rectified or I just plain missed it…I am a human being and I enjoy looking at other guys’ reports.

Did an inspection last week and they had the other report there .
They gave us a copy . The other Inspector uses to his advantage how he gives a free wett Inspection with a home inspection
(Wood burning appliances ) I do not.
There was a boiler and the pipes had asbestos he missed , he missed knob and tube , he missed Foam board on some walls. That there had been a previous fire in the home , He missed a serious air leak in the attic .
But the client likes the free wett so I guess they got what they paid for.
Roy Cooke

I’ve never been asked to examine the repairs from a previous inspection. I would want to see a previous inspection report, but I would want to see it at the end of my inspection (before I leave) so I won’t be biased in how I do the inspection.

I had this happen last week. The buyer is in California, he recently had an inspection and just wanted another one for piece of mind. He sent me the report to review and wanted me to take pictures and comment on the repairs from the prior report along with my report. I added a few extra pictures of repaired items from the first inspection. It took some extra time but I did it as a courtesy since he lives in a different state.

Im glad this doesn’t happen too often.

Myself , I’d rather not read the report first , but after the HI. let the realtor read the report and let your report be based on your findings. If the other report is real nice looking then steal the competions ideas when your finished.

Very good and important points, Roy.

A large number of inspectors come to this profession from the various trades. That can be good, but it can also be bad.

A former electrician tends to focus on the electrical. A former roofer tends to focus on the roof.

What about a former OB/GYN who becomes a family practioner? Do they give men short shrift? "Gee… you have a penis! I’ve never seen one :mrgreen: "

I run accross many newly licensed guys who were former HVAC guys or “shingle nailers” or sparkys. I have to teach them to get beyond their old jobs. We are not tradesmen. This is not a slam, only an observation.

We wear shirts (or polo shirts), not tee shirts. The tradesmen were tee shirts because they do the work. We wear ‘management’ type shirts because we inspect their work. We don’t try to fix it, or explain how it should be fixed. We defer back to them to fix it.

Hope this helps.