Proximity of range exhaust to a window

What does code say about the proximity of a range hood exhaust, for an electric range (i.e., there will be no exhaust of natural gas or carbon monoxide, just cooking odors) to a window. I live in a condo building that has a open vertical chase on the back of the building. It is approximately 6’ x 25’, going from 6’ below grade to the roof. All the units on my side of this chase have a double hung window that opens on this chase. I would really like to run an exhaust vent out of the apartment, but wonder about whether code permits it, and if so how close to any window, either horizontally or vertically must the exhaust be to comply with code.

If I’m allowed to put a fan in this kitchen window to vent the kitchen, and I’m not allowed to put an exhaust vent, can someone explain why.

nothing. most recirculate back to the inside of the house. it may not be a good idea but its not against anything - except maybe a manufacturer’s recommendations

I suppose local codes may vary, so you may wish to check with the source

Robert, am I to understand you correctly that there is no prohibition of exhausting a range vent between two windows, either adjacent to each other horizontally or vertically?

Am I to understand that there is no rule governing the placement of range exhausts proximal to windows? That is, if someone needs to mount one between two vertically aligned windows, that there is no prohibition of this location, or even perhaps a foot away from the window?

check with local jurisdiction- ie building permit people but I dont know why there would be one- like I said most recirculate right back in to the kitchen. If you were blowing smoke into someone’s window I doubt they would be too happy about it though- expect that to come up if you plan to do it. It sounds kind of rude to me.

Robert, I understand your point about the vent and someone else’s window, but it’s no different than any of us opening up our window to vent the kitchen. Unfortunately, it’s the nature of apartment buildings. Given DC’s temperature swings, it only would really be an issue a few months of the year because most folks are either going to have their window closed (it’s an uncomfortable 40" back from the counter edge (25" of counter plus another 15" or so of sill) because its too much of a pain in the *** to open, or it’s going to be closed because it’s winter and they have the heat on or closed because it’s DC’s nasty summer heat.

It would be a different story if it were combustable material flue