Question: What do you do if the utilities aren't on.

I’ve had many inspections where the electricity &/or water weren’t on. :shock:
So far I’ve been nice & returned to complete the inspection once the utilities has been restored, at no additional charge. :o
Just wondering if I’m the only person that does this?
Or if you charge an additional fee for returning to complete the inspection.

I make sure I tell them that it is their responsibility to have the utilities on. If they are not on, I inspect as well as I can. If they want the rest inspected, they have to pay for another inspection

Ditto

Probably.

I’m guessing I need to add a FEE if I need to return in my pre-inspection agreement, what do you all think?

Yes…

then you can start a Thread called

“I inspected the same house twice for the same buyer… is that OK?”

Re inspections start at $100 for me. :smiley:

I stress to all clients that call to make sure all the Utilities are on

Minimum re-inspect fee for me is $125.00. I will not release any portion of a partial report. They get the whole thing when completed.

Soon as the inspection is booked, I send off the contract via email with a cover statement that says the client is responsible to make sure that all utilities are on TO THE FINAL FIXTURES. (outlets, faucets, etc.) They should coordinate with their agent but they are ultimately responsible.

Professionals don’t give away their time for free.

Learn this early and burn it into your brain…Without exception, every inspector is paid what he is worth.

I’ve been stressing to ensure all utilities are on & been told that they were on, I’m going to add a $100 fee if a return trip is needed.
I’ve done a 2nd trip as a customer service stand point & to show the realtors that I’m willing to go the extra mile.
So far I’ve been lucky where they’ve been near my office or another inspection, but I don’t feel like driving more than 20 minutes if no-one is paying for the gas.

In any event, thank you all for your input.

Jerry…who are you going to hold responsible for the return fee?

That’s a great point. The buyer? They probably didn’t know. The Realtor? Who said they were on? Did the listing agent tell them they were on?

I never charge, it happens from time to time I think thats just part of doing business. I never felt this was done intentionally. Have fun telling your client they just got charged another hundred dollars because of another persons mistake.

Not saying it’s right, just saying it’s right for me.

LOL…now that cracked me up…hahaha:cool:

I charge my client. If it is someone else’s fault, he can be reimbursed from them. Besides, it is unethical for me to receive payment from any other party to the sale for the inspection I perform for my client. I would be ashamed and afraid of a record of there being anything written by me in an inspection report that was paid for by a real estate salesman or the other party to the sale.

Most all purchase offers have a clause that indicates the seller is responsible for having the utilities turned on. If they owe money on these, then they can’t do it. The agents rarely will help either. Until the used house salespeople get their act together on having contracts that meet reality or a plan then we just do what we can.

Its really a bad idea to have someone turn on the water and then leave.
Any house with the water off for some time needs to be watched closely for several days after turning it back on.

You should always turn the water valve off when you are finished with the house and take a picture of the valve in the off position.

I would never hold my client responsible for something totally out of their control. First, I make sure that the client, their agent and the listing agent gets an e-mail notice of the date & time of the inspection and several pertinent items, i.e. Seller’s agent to make sure the utilities are on. It is the Seller and Seller’s agent’s responsibility to have the utilities on. On the few occasions that has not been the case in 7 years then I bill the listing agent. They have always paid. I am not ashamed nor afraid.

Perhaps the difference is that I never bill anyone. No pay…no report. I collect at the time of the inspection or re-inspection.

Me too.

I gave it some thought & I’m not going to charge a client, what they can’t control.
Buying the home is stressful as is. If things were reverse, I’d be appreciative of the home inspector went out of his way to help. “Karma” I’m just grateful to be alive & own my business. Enjoy seeing the look on a 1st time buyers face after I walk them through their inspection.

Thank you all for your insite & input.

Why not charge your client and recommend they request a refund from the seller in escrow.