Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > General Inspection Topics > General Inspection Discussion

Notices

General Inspection Discussion This is a place for general discussion about the home inspection industry. Try to keep the posts topical, but they need not be as specific as the other areas of this board.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2/13/12, 8:00 PM
Mike Martinez Mike Martinez is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Please Note: Mike Martinez is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

Hi all,

I was hoping it was ok for me to post here, even though I'm not an inspector...

I Received an inspector from "HouseMaster" against my better judgement, but because I had 5 days to complete an inspection and the few local smaller inspector companies were all busy for 5+ days so to continue on with my purchase I decided to hope HouseMatser would do the job well since a co-worker said they did well on his home.


Well He's in a different area and I got another franchisee. Long story short the inspector came to my house for 5 minutes said hello and said he had to go as he was doing the "rounds" and left me with another inspector, which I felt was inadequate to do the job due to age and weight, ( he was atleast 65+ not in the best shape ).

Anyhow, he completed the inspection in about 1 hour 45 minutes, and didn't really find anything other than the things I pointed out to him, but I doubt he would have noticed anything without me saying "Hey what about this?"

Fast-Forward to today feeling like I wasted my money from the inspection day, I recieve my report and low and behold the INSPECTOR name on the report is the franchise owner, the actual guy who inspected my home was no where to be listed on the report.

I did my own Private-Eye research and found the business owner is a registered valid inspector in my state, and from diving in and finding him on facebook I found the older gentleman who actually inspected my house and with his name found him and it appears he does have a valid inspectors license from what I can see, however, it didn't seem like it.

My questions:


Is it standard practice to list the Inspector as the business owner who wasn't there instead of the actual Inspector?

How do I approach him about this? I'm unsatisfied with the inspection and also upset how the report came out (bad english everywhere) and the actual inspectors name nowhere to be found.

Is it required by Florida Law that the actual inspector have to be listed on the report or is this normal?

I'm trying to find how I will approach him and express my dissatisfaction and get atleast a partial refund I can apply to a real inspector.
Reply With Quote
Need a home inspection in Alabama? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alabama certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
  #2  
Old 2/13/12, 10:43 PM
Ed Bancroft Ed Bancroft is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brooksville, FL
Posts: 811
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

First.....would all inspectors over the age of 50 and out of shape please raise your hand
In the state Florida as of July 2012 all inspectors must be licensed.
They are required to have the customer sign an inspection agreement before the inspection. They are also required to provide a proof of licensing and a description of what is not included in the inspection. Most will send you a copy of their trade assoc. Standards of Practice, like NACHI SOP.
The guy who actually performed your inspection should have produced his license prior to the inspection and the report should have the inspectors name and license# somewhere one the report, such as INSPECTED BY: xxx xxxx.

How you proceed is up to you. Try contacting the Dept of Business and Professional Regulation.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2/13/12, 10:50 PM
Russell J. Hensel's Avatar
Russell J. Hensel Russell J. Hensel is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: My house
Posts: 9,693
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

Mike just call the company and ask them. Tell them how you feel and see how they react and what they do. No person is perfect, but in the absence of perfection see if they do the right thing.

We tell everyone, if you can find an inspector to do it right away, ask yourself why they are not busy.



Comprehensive Building Consultants
Naples Home Inspection, Naples Mold Inspection, Naples Radon Inspection, Bonita Springs Home Inspection, Bonita Springs Mold Inspection, Bonita Springs Radon Inspection.


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2/13/12, 10:54 PM
James H. Bushart's Avatar
James H. Bushart James H. Bushart is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 24,920
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Martinez View Post
Hi all,

I was hoping it was ok for me to post here, even though I'm not an inspector...

I Received an inspector from "HouseMaster" against my better judgement, but because I had 5 days to complete an inspection and the few local smaller inspector companies were all busy for 5+ days so to continue on with my purchase I decided to hope HouseMatser would do the job well since a co-worker said they did well on his home.


Well He's in a different area and I got another franchisee. Long story short the inspector came to my house for 5 minutes said hello and said he had to go as he was doing the "rounds" and left me with another inspector, which I felt was inadequate to do the job due to age and weight, ( he was atleast 65+ not in the best shape ).

Anyhow, he completed the inspection in about 1 hour 45 minutes, and didn't really find anything other than the things I pointed out to him, but I doubt he would have noticed anything without me saying "Hey what about this?"

Fast-Forward to today feeling like I wasted my money from the inspection day, I recieve my report and low and behold the INSPECTOR name on the report is the franchise owner, the actual guy who inspected my home was no where to be listed on the report.

I did my own Private-Eye research and found the business owner is a registered valid inspector in my state, and from diving in and finding him on facebook I found the older gentleman who actually inspected my house and with his name found him and it appears he does have a valid inspectors license from what I can see, however, it didn't seem like it.

My questions:


Is it standard practice to list the Inspector as the business owner who wasn't there instead of the actual Inspector?

How do I approach him about this? I'm unsatisfied with the inspection and also upset how the report came out (bad english everywhere) and the actual inspectors name nowhere to be found.

Is it required by Florida Law that the actual inspector have to be listed on the report or is this normal?

I'm trying to find how I will approach him and express my dissatisfaction and get atleast a partial refund I can apply to a real inspector.
If you are unhappy with the inspection and you have a clock that is ticking away your inspection option ... hire another inspector, immediately, and get a complete, accurate and unbiased description of the house you intend to buy.

After you have made those arrangements to give you peace of mind and the assurance that you are (or you are not) buying a money pit ... approach the first inspector and demand a refund due to your lack of satisfaction with his inspection and report. When the inspector who does the work doesn't put his own name on his own report ... you have every right to be suspicious and to doubt its integrity.

You may or may not get your money back from the first bad inspection ... but you need to make an informed decision about the house you are planning to buy and this should be your first concern, IMO.

Last edited by jbushart; 2/13/12 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2/13/12, 11:05 PM
Joseph Hagarty,  CMI's Avatar
Joseph Hagarty, CMI Joseph Hagarty,  CMI is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 6,941
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

Mike,
If you chose to read the contract that you signed with HouseMaster
you will find you signed with the "Company" providing the Inspection.

Not the Inspector,,,,

The Company is the contracted Party.

The Report may or may not have the name of the Inspector.
The Company name (HouseMaster) I am sure is present.



Joseph P. Hagarty
joseph.hagarty@comcast.net
Main Line Inspections, Inc.
Phone: 610-399-3675
Email: MainLineHI@comcast.net

http://pa.nachi.org/mainlinepa/about.html
http://www.householdinspector.com

National President / NACHI (2003-2004)
NACHI Education Committee Member
PA NACHI Certified Inspector # 01102902
Delaware Licensed Home Inspector # H4-071
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2/13/12, 11:48 PM
Mike Martinez Mike Martinez is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Please Note: Mike Martinez is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

To answer a few questions:


He did not show or have me sign anything prior to Inspection.

He did not provide me with his license number or information, neither the "owner" nor the actual inspector.

The only thing I ever found the owner's license # on was his business card, but, I never saw mention of the "inspectors" name or license anywhere, it's nowhere to be found anywhere including the report.

He didn't provide me a copy of what is and isn't included, just began the inspection.

All in all I was really unhappy, I just felt like I could have inspected the home the same or better than he did, it just didn't feel like an inspection more like a glance over of easy to see/reach items.

I didnt' ask about inspector age/weight info etc, because in all conversations I expected HIM to be the inspector, instead I got someone who barely spoke english (spanish primary), so we had trouble communicating, and I was not aware until the inspection started and I figured it wasn't him. Few minutes later he showed up walked around for less than 5 minutes and left.....

I feel unhappy about the actual inspector's info not being on the report and only the business owners.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2/14/12, 8:03 AM
Robert W. Jude's Avatar
Robert W. Jude Robert W. Jude is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 4,860
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

call the licensing agency and state your concerns. do NOT mention is race or age. Lack of english is ok. my 2 cents
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2/14/12, 9:47 AM
William T. Misegades William T. Misegades is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,421
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

As James and Joseph said, you should be focused on what your biggest investment is/will be.
If you are unhappy with the first inspection, get ASAP another inspector out there (and look at his credentials prior to hiring him. Perhaps get someone from InterNACHI).
Close on the house (or not) and then focus on the first inspection company.

Although 2 inspectors do their jobs differently and systems in houses can change from day to the next, if the 2nd company finds many more deficiencies or major ones that 1st did not find, go after that 1st company.

However, if both companies find similar things and it turns out you have a great house, then it might be that the first company has very poor communication skills. (I would still question the fact they didn't have you sign a pre-inspection agreement)
Hope this helps and again, focus on what your biggest investment really is (and it's not the inspection you paid for)



Where there is a Will there is a Way!

Will Misegades
TREC# 10465
RedFish Home Inspections

www.redfishinspections.com
Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer Level I # 9631
"it's not just about how to turn on and tune the camera to make pretty colored spots!"
David A. Andersen, Woodlawn, TN
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2/14/12, 10:03 AM
Joe Funderburk, CMI's Avatar
Joe Funderburk, CMI Joe Funderburk, CMI is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hickory Grove, SC
Posts: 9,877
Send a message via Yahoo to jfunderburk
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

Therein lies the problem with a franchise. Who you talk to on the phone and who arrives to do the inspection are often quite different. Not much you can do about it now except to hire someone else if you are really concerned. Lesson learned: Caveat Emptor.

No offense to any of my fellow inspectors out there, but I would never recommend a multi-inspector firm to anyone who asked me for a recommendation.



“The things that will destroy America are peace at any price,
prosperity at any cost, safety first instead of duty first,
the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
Theodore Roosevelt


Joe Funderburk, CBO, CMI
Alpha & Omega Home Inspections, LLC
Inspecting Upstate SC & Charlotte Metro, NC
Angie's List Super Service Award Winner 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010.
Ph: 704-351-1776
NACHI ID: NACHI05120170
www.aohomeinspection.com

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2/14/12, 10:12 AM
Gary Farnsworth, CMI's Avatar
Gary Farnsworth, CMI Gary Farnsworth, CMI is online now
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 5,005
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

In Kansas, an unlicensed third party can inspect any home for a real estate transaction, just as long as it is signed by a state licensed inspector, whether or not that person has seen the property.

Thanks again to state licensing, promoted by RE agent assoications and other interested parties standing to gain by inspection laws, and home sales.



Certified Master Inspector
Termite #16601 KS Radon #KS-MS-0027
BBB A+ Accredited Business
Serving the Greater Kansas City Metro Area
Eastern Kansas/Western Missouri
http://www.metrospeckc.com
"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"--Milton Berle
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2/14/12, 10:20 AM
James H. Bushart's Avatar
James H. Bushart James H. Bushart is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 24,920
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarnsworth View Post
In Kansas, an unlicensed third party can inspect any home for a real estate transaction, just as long as it is signed by a state licensed inspector, whether or not that person has seen the property.

Thanks again to state licensing, promoted by RE agent assoications and other interested parties standing to gain by inspection laws, and home sales.
Can you please cite that specific part of the Kansas law that says an unlicensed inspector can conduct the inspection as long as the report is signed by a licensed inspector. I can't find it.

I do see where a Kansas inspector can lose his license by signing for someone else's inspection, however (see Sec. 4. K.S.A. 2008 Supp. 58-4505. (a) (3).

I heard that there are some guys doing that, but it is inconsistent with the law that I have read, particularly the requirement of
Sec. 6. K.S.A. 2008 Supp. 58-4509(a) as amended.



.

Last edited by jbushart; 2/14/12 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2/14/12, 11:12 AM
Mike Martinez Mike Martinez is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Please Note: Mike Martinez is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

Update:

After speaking to the Dept of Licensing of Florida regarding my concerns such as the report being in someone elses name, etc. I kept that communication anonymous and contacted the Owner.

He said it was a small "error" that his name was on the report and not the inspector as in the program they use they change the name back and forth but on mine they mistakenly put the owner's name instead of the actual inspector and left it that way as it would be alot of work to redo. (They use HouseGauge according to the report I received).

I told him I was unhappy overall with the inspection and that the final blow was the report with many misspellings and wrong name.

I told him I was unhappy and wanted a refund for the services rendered or lack thereof or I would file a complaint with the State to investigate and my Credit Card company.

He very quickly said no problem I'll give you a full refund just fill out a letter releasing your rights to pursue any judgements or file and complaints against me or my company....

I am a buy the book guy and a part of me wants to say screw you and get my money back with American Express who will take my side AND file a complaint so people like this get what is coming, but for some reason I accepted his offer because he complied so quickly, as much as I didn't want to let him get away with what I felt was an unacceptable inspection by just offering me a full refund.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2/14/12, 12:07 PM
James H. Bushart's Avatar
James H. Bushart James H. Bushart is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 24,920
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Martinez View Post
Update:

After speaking to the Dept of Licensing of Florida regarding my concerns such as the report being in someone elses name, etc. I kept that communication anonymous and contacted the Owner.

He said it was a small "error" that his name was on the report and not the inspector as in the program they use they change the name back and forth but on mine they mistakenly put the owner's name instead of the actual inspector and left it that way as it would be alot of work to redo. (They use HouseGauge according to the report I received).

I told him I was unhappy overall with the inspection and that the final blow was the report with many misspellings and wrong name.

I told him I was unhappy and wanted a refund for the services rendered or lack thereof or I would file a complaint with the State to investigate and my Credit Card company.

He very quickly said no problem I'll give you a full refund just fill out a letter releasing your rights to pursue any judgements or file and complaints against me or my company....

I am a buy the book guy and a part of me wants to say screw you and get my money back with American Express who will take my side AND file a complaint so people like this get what is coming, but for some reason I accepted his offer because he complied so quickly, as much as I didn't want to let him get away with what I felt was an unacceptable inspection by just offering me a full refund.
Good for you.

Now, do your homework and do not rely simply upon state licenses or franchises. Find yourself an experienced full time professional inspector who can provide you with a list of happy clients. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
Need a home inspection in Alabama? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alabama certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
  #14  
Old 2/14/12, 12:13 PM
Robert W. Jude's Avatar
Robert W. Jude Robert W. Jude is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 4,860
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

FULL TIME inspector as James pointed out. NOT a guy like me still working for the same construction company for the past 17 years and over 23 years total in construction. I only perform about 150-200 inspections per year and am not worthy.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2/14/12, 12:19 PM
Mike Martinez Mike Martinez is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Please Note: Mike Martinez is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Question about an inspector's report with someone else's name?

I found a guy name Stephan Genereux owner of Alliance Home Inspections and InterNACHI member who has great reviews everywhere I look online (google, yelp zillow), I explained to him my situation and what occurred and based on our phone conversations I am confident he will do the job properly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orange County Home Inspections whandley California Inspectors 12 5/18/11 6:35 AM
California Home Inspections whandley Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors 17 6/4/08 12:28 AM
BC is acting on the new bill jkoong Canadian Inspectors 21 2/19/08 7:38 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.
no new posts