Spanish Speaking Inspector

As you all know. The Hispanic real estate market is huge in every corner of the country. My experience as a property inspector for the past six years has been that an inspector that does not speak spanish and tryies to deliver an incomplete

…MB post?

Jose,
Please edit your statement to complete. I have been pondering learning Spanish, (took French in HS), and would like your thoughts on the subject.

BTW… welcome to the MB and iNachi !!!

*As you all know, the call of the Hispanic real estate market is heard loud and clear across the country. I am here to help answer this call. While the property inspection itself may be the most important part of the job, it is not complete without the proper explanation of the findings. *

*My experience as an inspector for the past six years has allowed me to help some of my fellow inspectors get out of some holes that they have dug themselves into just because they have mentioned that they can deliver an inspection in Spanish. Spanish is my primary language and that has given me the opportunity to deliver a proper and complete inspection report. *

*Feel free to send me any questions that you might have. The liability that an inspector carries with him is huge and to make the extra money for trying to deliver something that is not within your reach is not worth it. I’ve seen couple of inspectors go out of business, because they were not able to deliver and communicate their findings the right way. *

*I live in Denver and I’ve been doing inspections for over 6 years. So, don’t hesitate to send me any questions that you might have. *

Jose Diaz
www.jardyinspects.com

Thanks Jose

This should be a tool with the inspection reporting software in you should be able to convert the report to the desired language.

What do you say TECHIE’s ??

Can this be done?

OH…Wait. If not Im using the poormans patten…time/date stamped on this posting.

Not a good idea.
If the adjectives get screwed up you may be in court.

I suggest you stick to English.

I certainly will.

As Bob said, no way, no how. While it wouldn’t be hard to implement (already looked into it ) translation software is not perfect by any means. Add to that, home inspection verbiage is not your standard that translation programs are taught to understand. If we write software that translates for you and you don’t understand Spanish and something is translated incorrectly then we as the software vendor get pulled into any lawsuit that happens (so says our attorneys). There’s plenty of programs out there you can use but I’d strongly suggest differing to someone who can speak Spanish, or pay someone to translate your report (perfect project for a college student) and charge a bit extra for it.

Better you than me…haha. I would not convert anyway as I would just hire someone to translate if need be. Additional cost of course.

Funny :smiley: But yeah definitely something to hire at an additional cost.

Do not forget to bring an interpreter with you to the inspection also as it can be claimed your hand gestures relayed incorrect information.

Lets face it that if they called you they can speak English and if your Agent referred you than the Agent should help them read it through (the report).

Other wise learn Spanish and make it a specialty.

I’ve performed many HI’s for Spanish speaking (only) clientele and they always bring along a translator. The inspection takes a bit longer, but my findings are completely understood.

As for the translation programs out there, they are by no means PERFECT. My Dominican wife has seen most of these programs and she simply laughs at the resulting translation.

As stated, stick to English to avoid issues that could come up later.

Thanks Jose. What those who do speak a second or third language might want to do is to have seminars in that language to help prepare them (the buyer or sellers) and give them some insight as to what to expect.

Public education in any language is helpful and helps to take some of the anxiety away (one would hope)

So to some extent you can set the tone for that “level of expectancy” at it’s infancy.

Mic

I’ve been working on translating the inspection program into the proper Spanish. It is a big project and I am taking my time on it. There are some programs out there that have some translations already in them but it does not communicate properly. I don’t think it will ever be done until somebody hires a full time person to spend the necessary time to translate the program into the proper Spanish. Something that’s very important to be aware of is the fact that a lot of the words in Spanish have different meanings. One word can have several meanings or are similar within the various regions in Mexico themselves but then when you include Central and South America and other parts in Europe you are opening yourself up to a cesspool of liability. Exactness is the nature of the business.

Jose
www.jardyinspects.com](http://www.jardyinspects.com/)