Utilities OFF

Inspectors should routinely turn on Utilities (Natural Gas, LP, Electric, Water) and observe / record resultant effects?

Is this based on guys telling you they may flip a breaker ,because you left that off the poll?

statement?

question?

Poll was
YES
or NO
I added punctuation to post
now a question
for those not understanding

Is** Maybe **an Option?

:slight_smile:
?

Why do you care? You seem to have a good business model since you are making the big bucks. If its working for you don’t change.

Sean,
just a question… no worries…

Since the question uses the term “routinely” I vote NO.

But never say never as situations are all individual and everything has a time and place for the smart inspectors.

Anyone who never makes exceptions is not flexible enough to make clients happy and will fail in the end.

Routinely would Generally note “Without Exception”…

What do you routinely offer and provide?

Joe,
I flip breakers when I need to. I evaluate the situation and make a decision. If I feel its unsafe, I won’t.

I did a new condo yesterday and I turned on the stove and the hvac unit, including the compressor safety pullout. No gas meter, but the a/c could still be checked.

I look at it this way, I am supposed to be able to look at this equipment and tell you if it is installed properly, but yet I am not capable of turning it on or operating it???. The items like shut offs and breakers are designed to be operated. I was there do do a job and I did it. When my job was done I made sure everything was the way I found it. The buyers were happy I went the extra mile.

Water valves are designed to be operated. I don’t force them, and if they won’t turn freely then I mark them up. If I bought a home and moved in, then discovered I couldn’t shut some stuff off, you’re getting a phone call.

I tighten packing nuts on valves and faucets every week, from hose bibs to sink valves just as a courtesy. Thats the main reason they leak, but I have soldered and installed my share of valves on jobs not related to HI.

Can any one here tell me a story of how they flipped a breaker and something bad happened??? Anyone?? We all talk about it but I have never heard any stories…

It’s the same thing with turning on the water… I have turned it on in the past, but I make sure the sellers says its OK.

I know of One Inspector
That suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns
(Out of work a couple months)
where the Homeowner
went to light a pilot
when the Inspector said he would not

Homeowner was not as fortunate as the Inspector…
Occurred in Oklahoma (in 2004?)
Inspector is a NACHI Member

That Inspector,
is currently on the State Board of Home Inspectors in Oklahoma…

How much gas would it take cause this injury?? Quite a bit I would think.

Actually, not much… you would be surprised
(knowing and having awareness of LEL limitations of explosive gases)

But…

The injury sustained
was quite real…
If you want his email address…
I will give you his Member name if you think what I am saying is not true…

I won’t turn on any of them however I do educate my clients to have the utilities on or their inspection is going to be short lived.

I believe you Joe, but do you know the whole story??

How many people get injured lighting their gas grill, or their stove. I’m sure plenty each year, but I still am going to light mine.

I don’t know his story. Was the owner smart enough to light it or was the guy not competent?

I understand bad things can happen. I could get run over tommorrow. ALl I can do is use my best jugment.

The Inspector was at his computer
Seller said he would light the pilot (since Inspector would not) in the basement
before the Inspector could stop him…
house exploded…

When was this?

OOPS…
Dan went to the other…
No longer NACHI…

http://www.ashi.org/homeinspectors/Oklahoma/Broken%20Arrow/17242EF.aspx

Hmm House exploded? this would need a far bit of gas . did no one smell it ? I would bet that the gas was already leaking in the basement somewhere not just at the fireplace . Just assumption I was not there.

See , the experienced and knowledgeable guy should have done it.:slight_smile: