Xtend-n-Climb heads-up

Well, after 4 years I finally wore my Xtend-n-Climb model 770 out. Several of the rungs and latches became worn and misaligned and difficult to engage so I knew it was time for a new one. I elected to go with the ‘new and improved’ 770P model. According to their website the “P” is for professional. Sounded good to me so I ordered one from Ace H/W and received mine at the nearby Ace a week ago. I am very disappointed. The latches do not seem to engage as soundly as the 770 model and don’t give me a sense of security that they are fully locked. When collapsing the ladder the bottom two rungs require excessive downward force to get them to slide down. I plan to return the 770P tomorrow and re-order a model 770 again that served me very well for 4 years. Oh, and yes, I have a Little Giant & yes, I’m familiar with Tele-steps also.

Model 770P 770P.jpg Model 770 770.jpg

770.jpg

Damn—and I was just going to buy one after I almost got injured from my Telesteps falling apart.

Guess I will stick to the heavy Gorilla Ladder, always has a sense of security regardless of the extra weight and effort it takes to use it.

I guess all these new fangled ladders which try to make everyone’s life easier might make life much harder in a hospital or cemetery----:twisted:

Thanks for the heads up Mike.

My Xtend & Climb finally retired recently as well.

What happened to the Telesteps? I just got one, and I’m really disappointed with it.

Stick with the tried and true stuff.

28’ fiberglass

16 ’ aluminum

6 ’ wood

never have had a problem

It was not locking at the sides correctly, after continually fighting with it I knew something was not right, but I kept using it anyway.

Well a few weeks ago I was on a patio roof and pulled it up to the roof so I could gain access to the next roof, well when I grabbed it I had half in my hand and the other half laying on the ground, the pins were snapped off in the middle of it, but when the ladder bends when your on it I think just the friction between the rails was actually keeping it from sliding down when I was standing on it, not the pins in the side.

And the bottom is not designed for anything except standing the ladder in dirt or landscape rock being round, it should of had something similar to an extension ladder at the base, like a flat leg that would swivel to meet the existing ground slope instead of the round base with a piece of junk rubber that lasts for about one use then the rubber fails.

I cut a couple squares of carpeting and taped them to the bottom so I could stand the ladder on a flat roof without puncturing the roof membrane with the sharp bottom, that worked well, but I never really trusted that ladder in the first place and never should of bought it or used it.

They are an accident waiting to happen in my opinion. They might be OK for some other uses (I don’t know what that might be), but not what we as inspectors use them for.

I lent my telesteps to the Building inspectors wife so she could paint her house. I haven’t seen it in a year and find that I dont even miss it. I’ve got 17 other ladders… wood, aluminum and fibreglass, so it’s not as if I need the telesteps anyway.
About 4 years ago I bought an articulating ladder, a lot of guys were raving about them here. I found it to be too bulky in tight spots and the locking mechanisms weren’t that great. When I got the telesteps, I gave the other one to my Dad who just loves it.

The TS just doesn’t feel sturdy. I’m always questioning the locks. It’s very light, which is nice, but that’s where it ends for me.

My X&C lasted for many years, and with minimal maintenance, it was trouble free for the most part. All good tools wear out eventually.

I agree Jeff, when I first received the ladder I thought it would be a valuable asset for getting to areas in tight spots like closets with attic access, then I realized getting the steps to match the height needed turned into a fiasco, which is why I was going to purchase the Xtend & Climb, but I will stick with my heavier ladders so I’m around a little longer without a broken back, neck, or anything else bizarre to save time instead of regarding safety first.

Indeed…but I’m sticking with ladders I have been using for years instead of anything which has the possibility of failure. All ladders have a failure possibility, but the Gorilla, and the normal fiberglass step ladders really limit any failure possibility to a minimum…so I’m back to the old fashioned methods.

Hey Brian!

Next time I'm by Coe Hill, I'll check out your huge ladder collection!

I find my X&C invaluable for attic access, have had no latching problems at all. Agree that better feet would be an improvement.

I have two telesteps. A 12.5 and a 14.5 both are the wide-step version and both are Type 1A, good up to 300 lbs…or so they say. Never a lick of trouble and the wide step version is much more comfortable than the normal bar step. I don’t get as much bend in the 1A version as I did when I tried a friends Type 1, (250 lbs).

SAFETY ALERT

13 ladders are considered “unacceptable”

I love my GORILLA.

Got my Telesteps at the Inspector Expo a couple of years ago, and it didn’t last a year

Let me guess…made in China?

I have the Little Giant and a Gorilla. In my experience, the LG is, by far, a better ladder than the Gorilla. They must not have included the Gorilla in their testing.

I bought two Telesteps at the 2001 ASHI convention. They lasted eight months. By that time the X&C was out, and it was $200 less expensive, so I bought four of them. They are still going strong. Not a lick of trouble, maintenance free, totally satisfied.

My employees and I had a propensity to crush our little fingers in the Telesteps because of where they had placed the unlocking mechanisms. That was the main reason why I checked out the X&C, and none of us ever crushed our fingers with the X&C.

I had a couple of Little Giants (too bulky—sold them to NACHI members) and still have several A-frames and several fiberglass and aluminum extension ladders. None of them could get me into the attic in some of these beach homes where the attic access is in the small laundry closet with a washer and dryer sitting directly below it. The X&C and Telesteps, on the other hand, lean over the washer and dryer against the wall behind them and make it very easy to get up there to see how many beer cans are in the attic. The record so far is 17 cans and a cooler with four unopened cans—fortunately, the owners were doing cable/voice installation and not re-roofing the house!. Owners were very appreciative of me finding their cooler, especially with the reward in it that they could use for March Madness.

I bought a telesteps I believe 16ft, wide model heavy duty and have had no problems for about a year and a half. So far, So Good.

I purchased a “little giant” ladder probably 25 years ago when I was in the construction business 6’ to 22’ Best ladder I ever had , a little heavy now I am getting older but I trust this ladder with my life.

My Extend-N-Climb 15.5’ has been great :smiley: …no problems.

I have two sizes of the Gorilla ladder. The Big One (I believe 21 Ft.) keeps me in shape. In fact, it would kill a lesser man to extend it all the way and set it up.