Are you qualified to inspect this?

, or this

, or this

defrostcycleneeded.jpg, or this

mixingvalve.jpg ?

[size=6]“Are you qualified to inspect this?”[/size]

These six words may stop a capable inspector in his/her tracks.

**It requires:

• Identification of system fuel type (oil, gas, electric, heat pump, geothermal, solar, special)

• Identification of system efficiency (60-65%, 80-85%, 90-95%)

• Identification of system category (I-IV)

• Identification of system type or arrangement (upflow, counterflow, horizontal, universal)

• Identification of system components (exchanger, burners, pilot, draft, valves, switches, sensors, temperature, pressure, gauges, levels, pumps, limits, pipes, ducts, filters, fuel, tanks, separators, igniters, nozzles, tubes, connections, pipes, vents, diverters, checks, reducers, circulators, fans, blowers, etc.)

• Description of system cycle (what turns on first, second, third, etc. and why?)

• Recognition of defects in installation (improperly installed, fire hazard, not safe, missing components, may not comply with manufacturer’s recommendation, missing components, etc.)

• Recognition of defects in performance (not turning on in proper sequence, overheating, not cooling properly, not turning off properly, may not perform as expected in the future, etc.)

• Recognition of defects in condition (indicating failure, may have had prior problems, actively leaking, may fail in the near future, requires repair or further evaluation, etc.)

• The use of the correct descriptive terms (the term “evaporator” and “condenser” are commonly misused and misplaced in reference to a heat pump system).

• The ability to speak with confidence about the HVAC system to anyone, including a client, their family, their agent, and the HVAC technician who may follow-up on your inspection.

Your Answer:
[size=6]YES. I am HVAC Trained by InterNACHI.[/size]”

Are YOU qualified? Two-minute commercial about HVAC Training Online Video.

defrostcycleneeded.jpg

defrostcycleneeded.jpg

mixingvalve.jpg

defrostcycleneeded.jpg

mixingvalve.jpg

Quote Ben Gromicko:
Identification of system efficiency (60-65%, 80-85%, 90-95%)
End Quote:

[FONT=Arial]Ben,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]I remind you of the NACHI Standards of Practice.[/FONT]

NACHI RESIDENTIAL STANDARDS of PRATICE

2.4. Heating
I. The inspector shall inspect:
A. The heating systems using normal operating controls and describe the energy source and heating method.
B. And report as in need of repair heating systems which do not operate.
C. And report if the heating systems are deemed inaccessible
II. The inspector is not required to:
A. Inspect or evaluate interiors of flues or chimneys, fire chambers, heat exchangers, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, electronic air filters, solar heating systems or fuel tanks.

B. Inspect underground fuel tanks.

C.*** Determine the uniformity, temperature, flow, balance, distribution, size, capacity, BTU, or supply adequacy of the heating system.***

D. Light or ignite pilot flames.

E. Activate heating, heat pump systems, or other heating systems when ambient temperatures or when other circumstances are not conducive to safe operation or may damage the equipment.

F. Override electronic thermostats.

G. Evaluate fuel quality.

H. Verify thermostat calibration, heat anticipation or automatic setbacks, timers, programs or clocks.

2.5. Cooling
I. The inspector shall inspect:
A. The central cooling equipment*** using normal operating controls***.
II. The inspector is not required to:
A. Determine the uniformity, temperature, flow, balance, distribution, size, capacity, BTU, or supply adequacy of the cooling system.

B. Inspect window units, through-wall units, or electronic air filters.

C. Operate equipment or systems if exterior temperature is below 60 degrees Fahrenheit or when other circumstances are not conducive to safe operation or may damage the equipment.

D. Inspect or determine thermostat calibration, heat anticipation or automatic setbacks or clocks.

E. Examine electrical current, coolant fluids or gases, or coolant leakage.

But… to answer your question my answer would be …… Yes…. Because…. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

All kidding aside… the two minute video looks highly professional!

The video is NOT how to follow the InterNACHI SOP in relation to HVAC. We tear apart systems and grab components and learn how they all work.
** I wouldn’t hire a home inspector **who couldn’t identify the efficiency type, particularly in this day and age of fuel costs and green building.

As “Buckwheat” used to say…OTAY!:stuck_out_tongue:

Im wondering if the SOP should be updated…considering the comments afforementioned.

No. SOP is a minimum. And should stay that way.

In contrast, training and education should go beyond the SOP and minimum requirements.

If I need a doctor, I want the best trained doctor that I can afford. I **don’t **want that doctor to tell me that all of the training and education that she knows DOES NOT EXTEND beyond the minimum that is expected.

No. SOP is a minimum. And should stay that way.

Training and education should go beyond the SOP and minimum requirements.

If I need a doctor, I want the best trained doctor that I can afford. I don’t want that doctor to tell me that all of the training and education that she knows does not go beyond the minimum that is expected.

:nachi: AGREED! :nachi:

Looks like a great educational video…Cant wait to watch.