10 Commandments

I have a pretty neat discussion idea. And NO, it’s not a right-wing Christian loony topic. (Really, trust me and read the whole post)

We all, pretty much, know about the 10 commandments, right? OK. So, they are divided into two parts.

1. The first five, which spell out man’s relationship with G-d (excuse the hypen, Jewish thing).
  2. The 2nd 5 describe rules for man’s relationship with other men.

Here they are, according to the original, Hebrew:

6 “You shall not murder. (The Hebrew is “murder”, i.e. killing of an innocent. Not do not kill. Hope this helps and sorry to all you KJV adherents.)
7 “You shall not commit adultery. (Have sex with someone else’s wife or unmarried daughter. Again, the original Hebrew definition)
8 “You shall not steal. (i.e., TAKE other people’s stuff)
9 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. (to “witness”, i.e. testify, falsely)
10 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

OK, clear?

Now, these look like pretty good rules. Don’t murder, commit adultry, don’t steal, don’t lie in court (that is what it actaully means, in the Hebrew, but you could also say, don’t lie when your lie will hurt others).

Then there is the last.

Covet:
transitive verb 1 : to wish for earnestly <covet an award>
2 : to desire (what belongs to another) inordinately or culpablyintransitive verb : to feel inordinate desire for what belongs to another

So, this commandment is the only one (of the last five, dealing with man’s relationship to other men (or women)) that deals not with actions, not with what one does, but with what one feels. To covet is to desire what someone else has. It is NOT about stealing what another guys stuff (Wife, lawnmower, kids, Donkey, big screen TV, inspections, etc) buit about even desiring, envying another persons stuff.

In my humble opinion, the reason for this command is that when one spends their time desiring and envying the other guys stuff, they feel bad. They feel like a failure. What stuff they have is diminished in value because they don’t look at and enjoy and care for and enjoy thier own stuff. In other words, when you “covet” someone elses stuff, you start to make your own life miserable.

Now, there are many inspectors who “covet” other inspectors success. Many new guys (myself included, I will confess) “covet” the success of the older or better or more experienced or more “in” with Realtors or licensed (or un-licensed) or former contractors or more marketing savvy (pick which ones apply for you) inspectors.

Is that coveting causing you to worry more about the stuff (in this case, inspections) that the other guy has than about your own (choose from the previous list) stuff.

Secondly, if one is religious (yeah, I will bring this up,m but only to show another, non-religious point, so bear with me all you atheists) doesn’t it also mean that one cannot be a liberal and accept the 10 commandments (Yeah, I also have brought politics into this, but bear with me for a moment).

If one is a liberal or, as is more politcically correct, these days, “progressive”, then one believes that they can determine, and have government enforce their determination, that some other guy has more stuff than (he needs, he deserves, he knows how to handle, he has “earned” or that he is “entitled” to. Pick those that apply to you.) that is “fair”.

Please remember that the biggest users of this word (fair) are bratty 2 year olds and 16 year old girls when they are informed that they will not get exactly what the want, when they want it and at no cost to themselves. The 2nd biggest user is Jesse Jackson :mrgreen:

Fact: Life is NOT fair. Some people work hard, every day, and never gain. Other’s hardly work at all, and are ill-prepared, and rake in tons of money and buy tons of stuff.

Deal with it.

But, usually, those who work hard and study and prepare and do a better job are worth more to their employers of their clients and make more money. And, they are rightly entitled to the fruits of their labor.

Progressives (who are, usually, very poor producers of value) don’t think this is “fair” and want to confiscate the stuff of others. That is why the U.S. has a “progressive” income tax system.

And, I wouldf posit, that is why some HIs bad mouth other HIs, even when they are both members of the same association (i.e., NACHI).

Being a high profile guy in this area, and knowing many inspectors (NACHI, as well as others) I constantly hear some inspectors slamming other inspectors.

Recently, a long term, experienced and professiona inspector I know (and count as a dear friend) started slamming another inspector (also a NACHI member) to me. The “bill of praticulars” includes lowballing, checklist report, “sucking up” to agents and “investor” clients, stealing clients, bad mouthing, etc).

Look, as many of you know, I try to lean towards my “better angels” and help others (CE courses, ride alongs, taking phone calls and questions from other inspectors, etc) and I do not charge or take money to do this (most of the time, there has been some instances).

As such, and I don’t expect or demand that other’s follow my path, I am getting pretty dang sick and tired of being other people’s crying rag.

I would ask that every NACHI member do their best, serve their client as an almost sacred duty of service, never stop learning and always hold out a hand to help others. It blesses others, and G-d blesses you for it (just my opinion). And, as always, I have been greatly blessed by many of you on this board. I only pray that I have given as good as I have received.

So, I ask that all of you stop focusing on what others have (their stuff) and focus on what you can do to improve yourself and the service that you provide to your clients so that you can succeed and get, for yourself, your own stuff!

Thank you for your time.

Good advice.

so does this mean i have to give back the neighbors donkey?

Is is a hot “a**”?

Seriously, guys. Not trying to start a politcal or religious thread, here. Just using some “rules” that I believe all good people will accept as good rules.

2nd question: Why is this “rule” the last to be listed?

very nice

I find this very insulting.

Please elaborate.

Per our PMs, and not betraying any confidence:

" As such, and I don’t expect or demand that other’s follow my path, I am getting pretty dang sick and tired of being other people’s crying rag."

Please understand. I am NOT trying to be all high and mighty. Far from it. I just find it weary to have so many other NACHI members, as well as other new guys, complainiing to me that they are not working out as HIs.

Sure, times are tough. They are also that way for me.

But the question that I was posing in the WHOLE post was this.

1. When you are handed lemons, do you

a) sit and cry
b) complain about some other guy, who is doing better than you (at least you see it that way) and wail about all the advantages he (or she) has that you don’t have and complain about how “un-fair” it is.
c) Make lemonaid.
d) Make lemon marange pie and move on, to embrace a brand new day and look forward to new challanges.

I betrayed no confidences. I named no names and the people I mentioned were composites, not just two people.

Read, think and post your thoughts.

That is all that I ask.

What do you call an Irishman sitting on your front verandah?

Ready for this?

Paddie O’Furniture

Progressives (who are, usually, very poor producers of value) don’t think this is “fair” and want to confiscate the stuff of others. That is why the U.S. has a “progressive” income tax system.
Do you have any stats or quantifiable data for this?

If one is a liberal or, as is more politcically correct, these days, “progressive”, then one believes that they can determine, and have government enforce their determination, that some other guy has more stuff than (he needs, he deserves, he knows how to handle, he has “earned”
How can you determines “ones” belief.

“You shall not murder. (The Hebrew is “murder”, i.e. killing of an innocent. Not do not kill. Hope this helps and sorry to all you KJV adherents.)hat he is “entitled” to. Pick those that apply to you.) that is “fair”.
Unless it’s in the name of God.

I totally agree that desire can or does cause suffering and everyone would be better off without materialism however blaming your woe’s on liberals seems a bit out of place.

Pearls…meet Swine.

If the oink fits…

I always thought the joke connected to that particular punchline was… “Whats green and stays out all year…” :wink:

Post the Pm I sent you.

While not the most important, it was probably placed last so that it would stay with us…especially in light of the fact its one of the hardest ones to fulfill.

Jesus took 10 commandments and made it even simpler for us;

1. Love the Lord God with all your heart
  2. Love your neighbor as yourself

How about that Kurt Warner??? Go Cardinals.

Too many people were guessing “Kermit’s butt”. I think the Kansas realtors lobbied for a law to have the punchline legally changed.

The word covet in hebrew is chamad (khaw-mad’). And it does’nt mean it will make you feel bad.

It means
beauty, greatly beloved, covet, delectable thing, great delight, desire, lust,
A primitive root; to delight in – beauty, greatly beloved, covet, delectable thing, (X great) delight, desire, goodly, lust, (be) pleasant (thing), precious (thing).

It does NOT mean you cant have your own (Wife, lawnmower, kids, Donkey, big screen TV, inspections, etc)

It does mean you can NOT have his (Wife, lawnmower, kids, Donkey, big screen TV, inspections, etc)

A live case is if my neighbor has a tree that I like and I go purchase another like it I have not coveted whereas, if I desire the very tree go and uproot it and place in my land that is wrong. For it belongs to another.

In the case of someone to covet another inspectors success in the inspection business. You are right in that you should not bad mouth other inspectors. But it is perfectly ok to want to be successful yourself.

In your statement as you made it then it would also mean i couldnt have a wife of my own because my neighbor has a wife. I CAN have a wife just not his. Just the same as i can have success in my home inspection business just not his.

Good points, and thanks for the Hebrew back-up (I didn’t want to clog up the thread). Hebrew is a tricky language and words can have many meanings, based upon context.

My point was that if you like some of the stuff that other’s have, you should go out and get some of that stuff, for yourself. To just sit there and envy what your neighbor has only makes you sad and angry and gives you the desire to steal it (See David and Bathsheeba).

But, it is perfectly OK for you to work hard and go out and get your own stuff. That is, unless, you do so in an attempt to “one up” your neighbor, for reasons of revenge or spite.

Thanks;

See Below:

Hope this helps;