After the storm

After last weeks tornadoes came through our area there are 500 to 700 homes which have been damaged or destroyed. I would like to volunteer my services and hopefully organize several other inspectors in some capacity but I’m unsure how home inspector would fit into the relief/rebuilding efforts.

Does anybody have experience with this topic? Can a home inspector serve as an advocate for homeowners trying to make sure all the damage to their home is being reported to insurance companies? What are the needs after a storm like this that a home inspector can fill? Again, I’m not looking for information about paid services per se, though that may be the case further down the road.

I’m just East of Bloomington/Normal in the small town of LeRoy! I would be glad to help out! I’m sure once the rebuilding process starts the city inspector will be busy. Feel free to email me if you find that we can be of service in the inspection capacity.
My girlfriend and I are trying to align our schedules to volunteer in the near future.

Count me in, close to Joliet. Just a short drive away.

Maybe call the City of Washington to see what they have to say.

Let’s not forget Pekin as well. Although I don’t know what extent the damage is there since the news coverage has mostly been on Washington.

I am a F5 survivor I can tell you first hand people need money, food water clothing. I had a stranger walk up to me and put a $100.00 bill in my hand and he just walked off. Still Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Organize a food, clothing drive

Thanks guys, I made a few phone calls today to get the ball rolling and I will be visiting the Washington area tomorrow to inspect a first floor platform. As I find out any information about how inspectors could put their expertise to work I’ll put some information up here and probably through email.

Incidentally Jeremy, you’re correct about remembering Pekin IL and also East Peoria IL because they actually suffered damage to a greater number of houses. Many of the houses in Washington were a complete loss and were literally reduced to piles of lumber.