Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > General Inspection Topics > Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors

Notices

Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors Discuss whatever you wish in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6/29/14, 10:12 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Baltimore housing

I got a call the other day to do a minimized inspection for someone in Baltimore city who wanted something like the county rental inspection done. There was a "peeling paint" statement to fill out - no dust samples requested. I used the county rental inspection form and the housing authority checklist to do a one hour check on systems listed. It seems (from the tenants) that the city is requiring a basic inspection with paint condition check for additional persons in subsidized housing.
Anybody know more about this? According to the tenant it was a lease-purchase home or a rent-to-own.
To further my confusion and complicate the thread - When I checked records which I always do - They show the house selling in April for 185k$ when it, according to condition and location, should not sell for more than 40 - 60. Is there a corruption angle here? Can someone who has a 40k$ home fake sell it on record for a much higher price in order to collect government money with the co-operation of an needy tenant?
Need a home inspection in District Of Columbia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of District Of Columbia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 6/29/14, 10:54 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Baltimore housing

Sounds like it has you irate.
Not your place to worry about it However unless you are auditioning for spy or detective positions here.
Old 6/29/14, 11:02 PM
InterNACHI Member

Hey Bob, I'm not irate. If it's happening lots of people know. Good to talk it around though. - There's the issue of Baltimore housing wanting a simplified inspection which I haven't heard about. Thought ya'll might have some more exposure to that. Thanks
Old 6/30/14, 3:11 AM
InterNACHI Member

Having been in real estate, there are occasions when you see a transaction and it makes you wonder what was REally going on.

John Paul Lucas de Oliveira

Home Sight Inspection, LLC
AHIT / GB-2 #86934 / AB #44580 / PMC #63299
Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Edgewood, Placitas, Los Lunas, East Mountain Areas
505-620-4439
http://homesightinspection.com

into alternative engines?
check out: http://lucasengine.com
Old 6/30/14, 7:31 PM
InterNACHI Member

Hi Dale,

I'm in Baltimore and haven't heard of an initiative to do anything similar to the BC county rental inspections.
Im a bit confused, who exactly hired you to do this "inspection"?

"All men dream, but not equally."

T.E. Lawrence
Old 7/8/14, 10:57 PM
InterNACHI Member

Thanks for the response. The rent-purchaser who is obviously on housing subsidy hired me. - Not to do a lead inspection but to do a "simple inspection" which included a form to fill out by the Baltimore Housing Authority which only specifies that no chipping or peeling paint was found. Instructions for the form were to be attached to a written inspection. The homeowner had no interest in a complete inspection so I analyzed components of the house which seemed to go along with Housing's checklist for a functional home. This might be some type of requirement by Housing for adding inhabitants to the household. For me to do a minimal inspection as requested takes only a couple of hours. It generally takes about 5-6 hrs to do my regular inspection. I'm wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience here.
Old 7/9/14, 3:50 AM
InterNACHI Member

Sounds like it's mostly oriented toward lead paint?

"All men dream, but not equally."

T.E. Lawrence