Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > General Inspection Topics > Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors

Notices

Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors Discuss whatever you wish in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12/11/07, 8:26 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Bleach and Glass

Has anyone ever heard of bleach clouding glass? My husband was pressure cleaning a house and the homeowner is now claiming that bleach got on his SUV front window and it is now permanently clouded. This sounds dumb to me but I learn something new every day. This bleach is for commercial cleaning and was being mixed with water by the pressure washer and he was cleaning wood siding under very low pressure. If any bleach got on this vehicle it would have been a mist in the air ..not even over spray. I have a very old bleach bottle from the 50's that was made of glass. The other thing is that there is directions on the bottle (Clorox) for cleaning siding..and how could you do that without hitting glass windows. We have been doing this for years. I think this is all a bunch of horse do do. Any one got any thoughts on this? Thanks for your help.
Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to all.
Dana
Old 12/11/07, 8:49 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: rwand1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Bleach and Glass

The onus is not on you to prove your innocence, the proof is on the complainant (homeowner) that your husband is at fault.
Old 12/11/07, 8:49 PM
InterNACHI Member

Dana having worked with glass for years as an artist I have never heard of it as good or bad for glass, however if it did spray on the SUV I would think if anything the paint, and rubber gasket which holds the glass would be more likley to suffer damage.
No this sounds fishy to me but then again you are on the wrong forum.
Search the internet and see if you can find anything.
Old 12/11/07, 8:55 PM
InterNACHI Member

Hi Dana,
Haven't heard of bleach causing this type of problem before. However, could it be possible that preservatives, chemicals on/in the siding or tree pollens could have caused this problem. Usually, if this occurs on glass, one would presume it would happen to the paint of the vehical as well.
Only an observation.
Allan
Old 12/11/07, 8:57 PM
InterNACHI Member

I can state that bleach (sodium hypochlorate solution in water) cannot cloud standard automobile glass. Done a lot of chemistry, and it's just not there.

Agree with the previous post. Have the other side provide proof that this is even possible, then go to a locak college and have a sit down with a chemistry professor.

Can you say "Expert Witness".

Hope this helps;

Also hope that your lawyer counter sues this jerk for a lot of money

Will Decker, CMI
ILL License # 450.0002240
Board Certified Master Inspector
Decker Home Services, LLC
Chicago and Northern Suburban Home Inspections
Office: (847) 676-8393
Cell: (847) 609-2345
Home: (847) 673-2702

wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com
www.DeckerHomeServices.com

Learn, Educate, Serve and have fun doing it!
Old 12/11/07, 8:57 PM
InterNACHI Member

Dana ...here you go as MR Wizard says bleach is great for cleaning glass so I recommend you charge your neighbor for the free wash.
http://byo.com/mrwizard/1042.html
Old 12/11/07, 9:19 PM
InterNACHI Member

Dana,

Many commercial and over the counter cleaners/products come with MSDS literature or this can be obtained from the manufacture. I'd read this data or contact them for further information about their product and the alleged affects on the glass in question.

Here is a link to search if you don't have the sheets handy
http://www.msds.com/

Good luck and have a great holiday as well

P.S. Please use black font that color messed up my vision, or maybe it was the bleach

badair

ADAIR INSPECTION
972-487-5634

Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Infrared Thermography
TREC # 4563
EDI: EIFS-MA TX # 39

2008 US Member of the Year
National Association of Commercial Building Inspectors & Thermographers™ Member ID 12011-14TX

life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes, accept the good
Old 12/11/07, 9:25 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: whandley is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronsted
Has anyone ever heard of bleach clouding glass? My husband was pressure cleaning a house and the homeowner is now claiming that bleach got on his SUV front window and it is now permanently clouded. This sounds dumb to me but I learn something new every day. This bleach is for commercial cleaning and was being mixed with water by the pressure washer and he was cleaning wood siding under very low pressure. If any bleach got on this vehicle it would have been a mist in the air ..not even over spray. I have a very old bleach bottle from the 50's that was made of glass. The other thing is that there is directions on the bottle (Clorox) for cleaning siding..and how could you do that without hitting glass windows. We have been doing this for years. I think this is all a bunch of horse do do. Any one got any thoughts on this? Thanks for your help.
Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to all.
Dana
Is it possible the cloudy discoloration was caused by particulate matter being washed off the siding? Maybe some sort of old Thompsons water seal or something similar. Just a thought...

Good Luck!
Old 12/11/07, 9:51 PM
InterNACHI Member

Bleach can cause problems with window coatings such as Rain-X. Is it possible the SUV windows had an external coating such as Rain-X or other product on it?

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

http://www.psinspection.com

TREC License# 7593

Professional Real Estate Inspections for the counties of Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Dallas, Tarrant, Kaufman and all surrounding areas. If you want the the best you will find it with PS Inspection & Property Services LLC!
Old 12/12/07, 6:57 PM
InterNACHI Member

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help. I am thinking it was wax on the glass that clouded (or rain-x) if in fact he caused it. Again thanks!
Dana
Old 12/12/07, 10:25 PM
InterNACHI Member

Manny, wins a roundtrip ticket to Josephine, TX

Good call

Bob,

Your new picture degrades your professionalism IMO

badair

ADAIR INSPECTION
972-487-5634

Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Infrared Thermography
TREC # 4563
EDI: EIFS-MA TX # 39

2008 US Member of the Year
National Association of Commercial Building Inspectors & Thermographers™ Member ID 12011-14TX

life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes, accept the good
Old 12/12/07, 11:41 PM
InterNACHI Member

Barry,

Won't give specifics on how I knew that. No it was not my vehicle and we laughed a long time after it!!

Boy, what I would give to be 30 years younger!!

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

http://www.psinspection.com

TREC License# 7593

Professional Real Estate Inspections for the counties of Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Dallas, Tarrant, Kaufman and all surrounding areas. If you want the the best you will find it with PS Inspection & Property Services LLC!