CFL Bulb Breaks: Leave For 15 min.

Warning: Vacate room when CFL bulb breaks Energy-saving devices called so dangerous everyone must leave for at least 15 minutes

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59554

Thanks for this Info much more on CFL bulbs and the concerns see

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24015

…Cookie

That’s Dog Doo Doo. We used these bulbs in the 70’s at the drug store I worked in. When we had several burnt out when used to change them and then have fun breaking them in the walk in dumpster. I must be loaded with mercury. Plus with all the fish that I ate that are supposed to have it. I am a walking time bomb.

Are you talking about the new CFL or the Four Foot Fluorescents .
I do not think the new CFL where out in the 70s.

…Cookie

Your right. I was wrong. I miss spoke. They look the same.

There is Mercury in the four footers too guys.

Gary probably has a few extra pounds on accumulation due the bulb busting.

Good info thanks.

I broke a few of the long ones in my time too, Gary, but I didn’t
inhale.:wink:

From article:

"The Environmental Agency noted that neither warnings about the bulbs’ toxicity nor directions for proper disposal is printed on any packaging.

Such warnings aren’t necessary, said one toxicologist who said a number of bulbs would have to be smashed simultaneously before there was a danger.
“Mercury accumulates in the body – especially the brain,” Dr. David Ray, from the University of Nottingham, told the BBC. “The biggest danger is repeated exposure – a one off exposure is not as potentially dangerous compared to working in a light bulb factory.
“If you smash one bulb then that is not too much of a hazard. However, if you broke five bulbs in a small unventilated room then you might be in short term danger.” The most-immediate hazard from the CFL bulbs may be to Brits’ pocketbooks. It costs about $1,300 to properly dispose of one municipal recycling bin full of bulbs – a figure that is sure to increase residents’ tax bills.”

yes and other not so good products too.
4 foot tubes are used more in industry then the home .
The new CFL are the ones I am most concerned with for many reason some are printed above.
Seems to me you made a post a few weeks ago woith many of the concerns re CFLs.
…Cookie

Roy,

I use some CFLs and their OK in some applications.

I can’t use them outside or in my garage.(over 15 bulbs) Too cold to work.

Most of my lighting in the hose is PAR style recessed fixtures. Pretty expensive to replace them all with CFL PAR style.

I use the CFLs in about 4 table lamps.

He’s still trippin’ from his 70’s romp !!!

You may want to have fillingsremoved before you worry too much about your light bulbs

QuackWatch on Mercury in Fillings Scam

I used to do Neon Signs and there was a saying that Neon Artists all turn crazy live forever due to the process of adding Mercury to the glass in order to turn Argon , which by the way is more common than the Neon( which is mostly used for that reddish color) into a brighter tube.
This is based on the old addage mad as a hatter.
In the old days Habadashers would add Mercury to provide colors to the hats .
Yes , I have always wondered why environmentalists are so keen on CFL.
Personaly I would hate to see incandesents banned as the CFL lights to me have a small strobe effect at times.

Sounds like the mercury has already effected you.

:wink:

21st century mad hatter.

Can you say follow the money trail. …Cookie

How many lobbyists does it take to change a light bulb?"

http://bp1.blogger.com/_JZqFVRZZaWQ/R3VCG4U_i3I/AAAAAAAAAhQ/P-pB_6_Y3WM/s200/New+Lightbulb.jpg
Timothy Carney, senior reporter for the Evans-Novak Political Report, wrote an “illuminating” piece today brilliantly titled How many lobbyists does it take to change a light bulb?](Examiner is back - Examiner.com) This is essential reading!

The column addresses the aspect of the recently passed energy bill which outlaws the incandescent light bulb by 2012 in favor of the “environmentally correct” bulb which costs much more and has environmental issues of its own far worse than the regular bulb.

Carney did a little digging; followed the money and found out why this law was passed; who benefits and who loses. It’s not exactly surprising that corporations buy off politicians, but it is disturbing when mandates are foisted upon us just so someone’s bottom line is enhanced. It’s even worse when it’s done in the name of “the environment.”
Earlier this month, Thomas Edison’s GE, together with Sylvania and Philips won a legislative victory when Congress passed an energy bill that would outlaw sale of the standard light bulb by 2012.

Sylvania is the leading light bulb maker worldwide, and GE is tops in America. These two companies, together with Dutch-based Royal Phillips Electronics, concede they basically wrote the new light bulb law. It goes without saying that they stand to profit from it — at consumer expense.Read the piece. It gets even worse. The new fangled bulb is made in China, whereas the old ones are made here!

When it comes to your health you can’t be too cautious.
When people get cancer or some other disease, does the doctor EVER say what caused it? Yet these same people dismiss things like mercury fillings, fluoride in the water, pesticides everywhere, food additives as being OK.

There are many things that are absolute. There are even more things that are debatable. If it is debatable - I’m not taking any chances with mine, or my child’s health.

My 2 cents.

[quote=rcooke]
Can you say follow the money trail. …Cookie

How many forum Members does it take to change a light bulb?"

http://bp1.blogger.com/_JZqFVRZZaWQ/R3VCG4U_i3I/AAAAAAAAAhQ/P-pB_6_Y3WM/s200/New+Lightbulb.jpg
1 to change the light bulb.

1 to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

53 to flame the spell checkers.

6 to argue over whether it’s “lightbulb” or “light bulb”
… another 6 to condemn those 6 as [Oops!]-retentive.

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is “lamp”.

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that “light bulb” is perfectly correct.

156 to email the participant’s ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their “acceptable use policy”.

109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum.

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped.

111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum.

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty.

27 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

14 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URLs.

27 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add “Me too”.

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

19 to quote the “Me too’s” to say “Me three”.

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ.

44 to ask what is a “FAQ”?

4 to say “didn’t we go through this already a short time ago?”

143 to say “do a search on ‘light bulbs’ before posting questions about light bulbs”.

16 to say, “I sent you a private message about light bulbs”.

1 new forum member (or ninja) to respond to the original post 6 months from now and to start it all over again.

Marcel :slight_smile: :wink:

Marcel, Too Funny!!
BTW I am getting my last 2 silver fillings out soon. I believe heavy metals should not be in high concentrations in our bodys.

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf

Well that’s interesting. I assume you all wear crash helmets when you are in the car. Since head injuries are the leading cause of serious injury in automobile crashes it’s the only sensible thing to do.:roll::shock::wink: