Federal Pacific

Questions on how inspectors are reporting on Federal Pacific panel boxes Even though the box is fine.

This should give you some reading material

I still inform them that the Stab Loc panel (breakers) have had a repeated defect, not tripping at the prescribed amperage, and can be a fire hazard.

Marc, do you have a link to these “recent test”?

“Recent tests on more than 500 Stab-Lok breakers from homes across the country show defective performance for about 1/3 of the two-pole FPE Stab-Lok circuit breakers and about 1/5 of the single-pole FPE Stab-Lok circuit breakers.”

Found one during an inspection for an estate sale today.

“Ahem, uh Senator…I would like to state for the record that I have never heard of The Federal Pacific Company nor am I aware of any such entity. As such I am unaware of any allegations regarding such.”

First time I’ve heard/read anyone say this.

**“FPE Stab-Lok® equipment](http://www.wilcox-electric.com/federal-pacific-stab-lok-split-bus-panels/) violates the National Electrical Code **Because of the proven high defect rate, the FPE Stab-Loc breakers do not provide the circuit protection that is required by applicable codes and standards (NEC and UL). This constitutes an increased risk of fire and injury. [4] NEC-240-2 “Equipment shall be protected against overcurrent …” – a building with FPE a Stab-Lok® electrical panel does not meet the requirements of the NEC nor of any other electrical code.”

http://www.fox19.com/story/24652594/fox19-investigates-breaker-boxes-blamed-for-starting-house-fires

And the urban legend continues to grow…

There are no recent tests, they do not violate the NEC, “testing” data was misrepresented… same ol’ same ol’

I’ll leave it at that and stay out of the rest of the thread :smiley:

I also put an informative statement in my report and suggest they have the panel looked at by an electrician. Not that long ago I came across one that had a breaker for the water heater. It was in the off position but the water heater was still on. There was a note on the cover that said pull out to turn off. I think it would be safe to say that breaker won’t trip when needed to.

I just heard it on the news today

2011 independent report
I’m sure some have positive/negative issues with it.
That’s what makes us all different. :slight_smile:

*“testing” data was misrepresented

I would like to see the source documentation on this
*if it is not just an opinion

I’m with you… :wink:

Time to go for a run! :smiley:

Ok. One more post :mrgreen:

Question: If I load a typical breaker to 150% of its rated capacity, how long might it take to trip and still be considered a “properly functioning breaker?”

Answer: 90 seconds.

At 135%, this time increases to nearly 200 seconds.

Show me the “testing data” that reflects this information.

Headed out in about 10 minutes :wink:

I knew it

Ok, since I already posted after I said I wouldn’t (I hate it when I let myself do that), I’ll try and take it in a different direction.

Since these panels are so notorious for failures, I’ll ask all inspectors on this forum to please post their own personal experiences of problems that they have seen that are **unique **to FPE Stab-lok panels. This should be easy, since they are so terrible.

No hearsay, no second-hand stories, just your own personal experience. I’ll start.

Due to the **UNIQUE **design of the Stab-lok bus bars and breakers, I have seen several damaged breaker contacts that were never seated properly. IMO, this is an inherent problem that is unique to this particular brand of panel.

Breakers fall out… on occasion…not all, maybe 10% of the ones I have inspected over 20 years.
Can’t get insurance.At least here in the Sunshine State… :roll:

After inspecting thousands of panels, I have concluded that breakers “falling out of the panel” are most common in GE panels, so this is not **unique **to FPE.

From what I hear, insurance companies will not insure on FPE, Zinsco and Pushmatic, so this is not **unique **to FPE.