Global warming? Yeah right....

…then explain why its snowing outside??

I wish that Global Warming fairy tale would come true because I’m tired of all these bitter cold winters with +100" of snowfall.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_4.gif

I have my own theory of the outcome of the global warming scenario, but if you think it’s a fairy tale, please explain why Exit Glacier in AK is 3/4 mile from where it was the last time I was up there?

No one knows the outcome of this, but please feel free to dispute the facts.

Maybe increased evaporation or sublimation?

Kevin, when it stops snowing in WA, we will be in real deep do-do! You do understand why it rains and snows so much there, no?

Nick, Fla. is nice this time of year! :slight_smile:
I like snow, but I don’t know how you do Wisconsin winters!

That’s said with sarcasm right?

OK, so we have some circumstantial evidence of “Global Warming” in that the glaciers in the Arctic are melting. Now, where’s the empirical evidence of global warming? Bonus points for proving that it is caused by our “greenhouse gas emissions” and not by the Earth’s natural tendency to warm and cool in 1000 year cycles …

1. We have more evidence that this one fact. 2. I’m not claiming it’s due to greenhouse gases. It could be. 3. The recent warming is off the charts relative to the previous natural cycles. Why?

Again prove it.

Maybe you don’t read this thread.

Starting at about post 16 it has become the “gorebull warming” repository of info.

Bad weather was good for Alaska glaciers

MASS BALANCE: For decades, summer snow loss has exceeded winter snowfall.

By CRAIG MEDRED

cmedred@adn.com

Published: October 13th, 2008 11:08 PM
Last Modified: October 13th, 2008 09:32 AM

**Two hundred years of glacial shrinkage in Alaska, and ****then came the winter and summer of 2007-2008.**

“It’s been a long time on most glaciers where they’ve actually had positive mass balance,” Molnia said.
That’s the way a scientist says the glaciers got thicker in the middle.

P.S. Don’t tell Al Gore. :wink:

Prove it? Look up the definition of theory and we can talk. This is the same type discussion as the evolution debate. A theory is based on observational scientific fact. Once we gather enough facts, we can safely assume the theory points to the truth. It doesn’t need to be 100% “proven” to be accepted. Thankfully, the debate is moot now since Obama will shape our policies based on the fact that the theory is sound. You naysayers can keep blowing hot air (pun intended).

The public isn’t buying it.

Well some on the west coast are.:stuck_out_tongue:

Defying Predictions, Sea Level Rise Begins to Slow

It snowed over three inches down here in Southern Louisiana last Friday. First time I have ever seen real snow in my life. Must be the global warming.

Morgan Wood
Home Inspections of Louisiana, LLC

Too funny. :mrgreen:

http://green.msn.com/Home/Global-Warming-Mythbusters/?gt1=45002

MYTH:
Recent cold winters and cool summers don’t feel like global warming to me.
FACT:
While different pockets of the country have experienced some cold winters here and there, the overall trend is warmer winters.
Measurements show that over the last century the Earth’s climate has warmed overall, in all seasons, and in most regions. Climate skeptics mislead the public when they claim that the winter of 2003–2004 was the coldest ever in the northeastern United States. That winter was only the 33rd coldest in the region since records began in 1896. Furthermore, a single year of cold weather in one region of the globe is not an indication of a trend in the global climate, which refers to a long-term average over the entire planet.

MYTH:
Global warming is just part of a natural cycle. The Arctic has warmed up in the past.
FACT:
The global warming we are experiencing is not natural. People are causing it.
People are causing global warming by burning fossil fuels (like oil, coal and natural gas) and cutting down forests. Scientists have shown that these activities are pumping far more CO2 into the atmosphere than was ever released in hundreds of thousands of years. This buildup of CO2 is the biggest cause of global warming. Since 1895, scientists have known that CO2 and other greenhouse gases trap heat and warm the earth. As the warming has intensified over the past three decades, scientific scrutiny has increased along with it. Scientists have considered and ruled out other, natural explanations such as sunlight, volcanic eruptions and cosmic rays. (IPCC 2001)

Though natural amounts of CO2 have varied from 180 to 300 parts per million (ppm), today’s CO2 levels are around 380 ppm. That’s 25% more than the highest natural levels over the past 650,000 years. Increased CO2 levels have contributed to periods of higher average temperatures throughout that long record. (Boden, Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center)

As for previous Arctic warming, it is true that there were stretches of warm periods over the Arctic earlier in the 20th century. The limited records available for that time period indicate that the warmth did not affect as many areas or persist from year to year as much as the current warmth. But that episode, however warm it was, is not relevant to the issue at hand. Why? For one, a brief regional trend does not discount a longer global phenomenon.

We know that the planet has been warming over the past several decades and Arctic ice has been melting persistently. And unlike the earlier periods of Arctic warmth, there is no expectation that the current upward trend in Arctic temperatures will reverse; the rising concentrations of greenhouse gases will prevent that from happening.

Global Warming is the biggest scam since One Hour Martinizing.

Agreed, but with the new administration apparently committed to carbon reduction in the name of stopping gorebull warming, we will all pay heavily.

One hour martinizing is a scam!?

Oh My…:shock:

There’s no doubt that the earth is warming. Climate scientists mostly agree. It’s the human contributions to that process which is difficult to pinpoint.
The earth warms and cools periodically in response to orbital anomolies. Nothing unusual in it, except that this time it appears to be warming at a rate which mirrors the growth in greenhouse gases since the mid-late 19th century.

The concept of global warming doesn’t mean no snow. Just the opposite, it will cause extreme climatic changes about the globe. Areas like Las Vegas may begin to experience more frequent snow events for example.

Now, weather or not the planet is experiencing an abnormal warming cycle is another issue all together.

Personally, here in California, I believe the education system and teachers in particular are responsible for global warming. :wink:

Hi Kenton,

I beg to differ with you. There is plenty of doubt and it’s growing.

Dissent, discussion over cause of global warming

“There is no human-caused global warming as a result of CO2 – and all these carbon credits, which they’re selling for millions of dollars, are based on CO2 forcing, they call it, causing global warming,” said Coleman. “Well, that’s not valid, and they’ve got to know it – and if they know it and they’re selling those carbon credits, aren’t they committing financial fraud?”

“People are trying to play God by saying, ‘Oh, this computer model told me 50 years from now that this is going to happen.’ That’s an arguable point; I think we should debate it,” said Bastardi. “But to say that someone has absolute knowledge of the future seems to me to be playing something more than a mortal – and I’m in the business of forecasting the weather.”

“There has been a coincidence over the centuries of an absence of sunspots correlating with very cold temperatures and a presence of sunspots corresponding to a warm period,” he explained.

Solomon also noted that temperatures have dropped by more than a half a degree centigrade last year, which is equivalent to more than a century’s worth of warming.

“The arctic ice diminished in the [19]30s, '40s, and '50s. It diminished in the 1800s, so much so that the Northwest Passage was open and they were catching cod fish off of Siberia.”

For me it’s a little too convenient to claim that record low temps and snow in unusual areas are the result of global warming because it is used to quell all argumentation that global warming is not happening.

Temps have been flat or cooling since 1998 but that won’t stop Washington from instituting costly and ineffective carbon trading schemes.

However, our ailing economic situation might. We can only hope that cooler heads prevail.

Lets look at this from another angle.The glaciers have been retreating since the last Ice Age, which means they are smaller, therefore reducing the surface area of the ice and snow. Now, we being home inspectors, should all know about heat transfer and cooling the air. Instead of reasoning that the glaciers melting is the result of GW, maybe the GW is the result of the melting glaciers. Remember the old ice boxes before refrigeration came along, how quick the temperature was lowered depended on how much ice was inside, to pull the heat out of the contents placed inside. However, take into account that the efficiency of the box was determined by how well the box was insulated. The better boxes, would hold the ice longer, because it prevented outside heat from from coming in, so maybe these greenhouse gases are actually doing the same thing, by blocking more Solar Radiation from getting inside the Earths atmosphere. Think about it. Every time you see one of those Mega Disaster shows on T.V., about what will happen if a Comet hits the planet. They claim it will kick up a dust cloud, which will block out the Suns rays and cause a prolonged global winter, or after a Volcanic eruption, the ash particles do the same and the temp drops for a couple of years. The so called greenhouse gases might be saving our butts, and actually be keeping the temp from rising faster. I do wish they would quit blaming CO2 though, it is plant food, if they want to lower it, then they should just install the best air scrubbers known to man,Trees, stop with all of these non- native plants, flowers and grasses, and let the woods come back. The tree huggers want to tell South Americans to stop cutting down the Rain Forest, while they mow down our woods at an alarming rate. BTW, concerning flowers, I don’t remember ever seeing the **Pollen Count **on the evening news, as a kid and I didn’t have allergy problems either. JMO

An inconvenient truth that the eco-guilt driven “Green” campaign conveniently ignores.

I’ll have to dig up that chart I saw which displayed global temperature, solar output and estimated greenhouse gas emissions over the last century. The funny thing was that the global temperature fluctuated on a year basis almost directly with solar output, as opposed to continuously rising with the steadily (and at one point exponentially) rising greenhouse gas emissions.

Besides, we should be criminalizing volcano emissions and such, which account for over 95 percent of all of our planet’s greenhouse gas emissions … :roll: