Inspection reporting

I am getting feed back from realtors that I report to much small items? Is there a fine line between repair/replace and buyers obligation to repair. Should I have a maintenance portion of my report that is for the buyer. Any feed back would be helpful.:roll:

F what realtors think. Do what your clients want. There are a ton or threads here on the subject and with a quick search you will likely find out everything you want to know. Some one just started one similar under a week ago.

Here you go. I did not read it but it is the newest I know of. http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/new-inspecting-report-and-not-report-93977/

Big or small if it is an issue write it up.

And don’t start a new thread for something that’s already been discussed.

The realtors are not paying your fee, the client is. You are obligated by your SOP, if you want to write something then write it and as Mike so nicely put it, F what realtors think.

It may be more about how alarming it is that you write up the small things that bothers the realtors. You can write up small things, staying with SOP and not be alarming about it.

Ditto. More information is better (we are paid to deliver information), but small stuff should be put into context. If they don’t understand what is small or big from reading your report, then when there is something big you get the “boy who cried wolf” scenario

Thanks’

Richard, can you provide a few examples of what such items are being brought up? I mean if you’re reporting a scuff on the wall then yes that shouldn’t be in the report.

Also, there is no obligation for the seller to repair anything at all and that is not your concern.

I personally don’t do a written maintenance list not my job.
However I verbally point out some maintenance items to the client during the inspection.

Ive been writing my reports with a new mentality that is similar to your dilemma. I like to write a lot because i enjoy educating people of their house Rather than scaring them with ‘defects’ i am now using ‘Improve’ section if it does not fall within a safety or urgent repair defect. My old reports were either good or bad sections pretty much. Now i try and label it differently. Example- Kick out flashing is not a defect although the lack of it can cause problems. Improve section will describe it and recommend it in future installment. In the past i wrote it as a defect since it was not a Good thing to be lacking. I think if you can keep the 2 separate then there wouldnt be as many glaring defects And you still inform and educate them

Frank that is being mean!

sounds good and I agree mostly. However is that what they really want or the issues within the dwelling?

As far as deficiencies go, it doesn’t matter if it’s one dollar or a million dollars.
My job & license sop require me to write it up.

IMO that may be a poor example. If missing flashing can cause problems, and water intrusion can be a costly problem, in my book that would be considered a defect.

In my book it would be a recommendation if proper construction practices have been performed.

I give one to every client. They love it! :smiley: