Installed Incorrectly

If a product such as a TREX railing post is installed differently than the manufacturers specifications is this considered a material defect?

If something is blatantly framed incorrectly what kind of a defect is it?

What is the proper verbage for reporting items found that are not consistent with the manufacturers recommended installation procedures?

Thank you.

Paul

What you said would work just fine. “items __________ are not consistent with the manufacturers recommended installation procedures.” My personal belief is, make your reports factually accurate but simply enough for the customer and those others who will be reading it. I use “bullet” statements that keep it short, direct and not littered with highly technical jargon that most people will not understand.

Hi. Paul

In the case of the Trec rail post, if it is installed different than Manufactures suggested installation, it would be inconsistent with their instructions, not a material defect. It would be a defect, if due to the deviation from Manufactures Installations, the rail post fails to perform as intended, like withholding #200 of exerted pressure.

Something framed incorrectly is workmanship that don’t adhere to the Construction standard for framing.
Depending on what is framed wrong, it could be defective to meet structural loads intended, or just doesn’t meet standard construction practices.
:slight_smile:

Thank you!

I came across a trex related issue here where I live. The floor joists were not 12" oc…I don’t know if that is the manufactures spec but Municipal building inspectors would make you tear it down because trex on 16 oc bends in hot weather and doesn’t go back to its original shape.

Just a footnote

Scott, Trec deck should be installed per manufactures specifications which is per this table for span chart.

**Trex Decking and Railing Span Chart (on centers)
**[FONT=HelveticaNeue]Commercial Decks,
Boardwalks & Marinas
Residential Decks, Light Duty Docks,
Residential/Daycare Playground
Decking Loading 100psf (4826 Pa) 100psf (4826 Pa) 200psf (9576 Pa)
1” Boards 16" (40.6 cm) 16" (40.6 cm) 12" (30.5 cm)
2 x 4 20" (50.8 cm) 20" (50.8 cm) 16" (40.6 cm)
2 x 6 Boards 24" (70 cm) 24" (70 cm) 16" (40.6 cm)

Can be seen here;

http://www.trex.com/build/installation-guides/index.htm

**[FONT=Bembo-Semibold]Joist Spanning for Decking
**[FONT=Bembo][size=2]Trex[/size][/FONT][FONT=Bembo][size=1]® [/size][/FONT][FONT=Bembo][size=2]decking meets all applicable national model
building codes. The joists must be spaced on centers
according to the chart below. Be sure that all joists are
level and plumb. Trex decking must span at least three
joists. For load-bearing applications such as hot tubs,
planters, etc., consult a local building engineer or
inspector for span recommendations. Paint the top of
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Bembo-Identity-H][size=2]������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Bembo][size=2]through spaces between boards.
[/size][/FONT]**Code Listings
**[FONT=Bembo][size=2]Trex complies with all major model
building codes and has been evaluated by the
International Code Council evaluation service.
[/size][/FONT]:slight_smile:
[/FONT][/FONT]