A little home construction trivia

Do you know how (and where) the term “balloon-frame” originated?

It’s explained in a great article in today’s Chicago Sun-Times commemorating the city’s 175th birthday today:

Here’s the entire article.

As a side note, ballon framing is not widely used anymore due to fire spread and the fact that is a structual nightmare.
Living in Canada, we do not see ballon framing at all anymore. It is not common at all here. I would be curious to see if the last statement is true." Today most homes built in America are balloon-frame construction."

I agree with Greg.

I sometimes see balloon framing techniques in some newer garages, but that is becoming less common.

Indeed.

From “Structural Issues for Home Inspectors” > “What Inspectors Need to Know” > “Common Framing Styles”:

Balloon framing alot of cut to fit fire block work and isnt as strong as platform, supported methods. Its essiently obsolete

btw, a home inspector should not be able to tell the difference in a drywalled house.

I was born and raised in a balloon framed home; ~1880 bulit in Ontario.

The platform and balloon methods of framing are two ways of constructing a wood-frame house. [Balloon framing](file:///C:/CMHC%20Wood%20Frame%20House/english/glossary/w/index.htm#balloon) was the most common method of wood-frame construction in the latter part of the 19th century, and early part of the 20th century. [Platform framing](file:///C:/CMHC%20Wood%20Frame%20House/english/glossary/w/index.htm#western) has dominated since the late 1940s, and today represents conventional practice in Canada.

They are easy to insulate, just pour the vermiculite on top é voila :wink: