Manufactured Homes - Permanent Foundations?

Greetings and salutations! My associate and I were having a discussion the other day about manufactured homes. This manufactured home, as is typical, had 3 linear concrete footers, upon which rested masonry blocks that supported the metal I-beams that run the length of the home. There were metal straps securing the house to the foundation. Most of the straps were broken, but that’s another topic altogether. The perimeter of the crawlspace was made up of a wall of masonry blocks. So, the question I’d like to ask and get some different opinions on is this?

At what point is a manufactured home considered a permanent structure? What does it need to be considered such? Poured Concrete foundation walls? Welded steel posts? What do you all think?

Terry, there is no one answer to this question, as it varries state by state. In many states the homes original personal property title can be switched to a Real Property title (deed) only if the property is on a deeded lot and is installed in such a way that it cannot be easily removed.

In most states this would include a masonry pony wall and the complete removal of all towing equipment such as axels and hitches (the Hitch attachment must be cut off the frame)

I hope this helps

Regards

Gerry

In addition to Gerrys comments, there are HUD built homes which typically have a 4/12 roof pitch and a steel beam main frame. in Michigan (at least in my part of the world) these units are not allowed on personal property in many jurisdictions. Then there are modular homes with a roof pitch of at least 5/12 with typical wood framed floor system, these units follow the Michigan residential code in construction and building plans must be state approved. foundations here range from full poured basements to block or poured pony walls that the home bolts to just like stick built. piers or blocking is not allowed.