My own 3 rules on how to treat other associations on message boards or in public.

I’m not saying they are rules anyone has to abide by. I’m simply saying that they work for me and so I’m offering them here to others who might find them useful.

Nick’s Rule #1: Only mention someone personally if you are complimenting them or trying to be funny. I try to never attack anyone personally. I don’t even know who makes up ASHI’s or NAHI’s B.O.D and I don’t want to know. ASHI’s new 2007 President Frank Lesh is one heck of a nice guy and if he wants my help with his membership woes or anything else over at ASHI, all he has to do is ask and I’m going to help him, and not because any of ASHI’s problems are NACHI-caused… they aren’t. In just the few seconds I met with him, he made me feel like I could count on him for help when NACHI needs it.

Nick’s Rule #2: If you see another association doing something right, say so! When ASHI came out against preferred vendor schemes I must have complimented them 100 times on this message board. I complimented them again when I had the stage at the recent ASTM meeting. And I compliment them when I’m speaking at NACHI events every time the subject comes up. They were right and their Code of Ethics is something that they should be proud of. I don’t mind telling the world that I’m proud of them too. If you see anyone doing anything good in this world… cheer them on!

Nick’s Rule #3: If you see another association doing something wrong, say so! ASHI not having any entrance requirements other than send a check is something that warrants public riducule. And scumbag NAHI deserves to be bashed from all sides for permitting their members to work to correct defects they themselves find on their own inspections. Unconscionable! All inspectors have a duty to humiliate NAHI with their own COE (or should I say lack of one).

Anyway… perhaps these are of use. No one start goofy threads saying that Nick is instituting censorship on this message board which has and continues to protect free speech, I’m not. I just offered my personal rules (which I am guilty of bending and breaking myself) here tonight in hopes that others find some value in them. I fully understand that some arguments get personal and that some topics, especially those that affect one’s livelihood, are going to get heated… so exceptions to these rules are reasonable in a free society.

Just try to remember that we’re all in this inspection industry together.

Freedom can be an untidy thing… let it roll.

Exactly…

You the man Nick.

very nice

Thanks

These are wise words to live by.

Regardless of what some members of other associations say, NACHI is growing because we offer things that the other associations don’t.

In our area, people are leaving others and joining NACHI. They are making their own decisions and, no, they are not all new guys. Many are very experianced and old time inspectors.

The best way to grow is to be better, whether an association of an individual HI business.

Bad talking just builds resentment, halts communication, wastes energy that can be better used more productively and makes the bad talker look like a jerk.

I have, recently, gotton 3 local Realtors to refer me. They said that they were tired of their old inspector (from another association) because he kept bad mouthing NACHI.

Just do a good job, focus on your quaility and value and ignore the bad talking.

Hope this helps;

This quote needs to make it over to the Members Only section. It could use a little help. :wink:

Agreed!!!

Ditto!!!

Hey Nick,

Nick’s Rule #1: Only mention someone personally if you are complimenting them or trying to be funny. I try to never attack anyone personally. I don’t even know who makes up ASHI’s or NAHI’s B.O.D and I don’t want to know. ASHI’s new 2007 President Frank Lesh is one heck of a nice guy and if he wants my help with his membership woes or anything else over at ASHI, all he has to do is ask and I’m going to help him, and not because any of ASHI’s problems are NACHI-caused… they aren’t. In just the few seconds I met with him, he made me feel like I could count on him for help when NACHI needs it.

I had an opportunity recently to hear Frank speak at a Fist Time Buyers seminar at the DuPage County fair grounds. I also took the opportunity to take notes / record Franks speech for future reference not often does one have the chance to listen to such a seasoned professional.

As president of ASHI Frank spent about as much time stating what his business did as to what an ASHI inspector did, I felt he was using the forum to promote his own business and not to promote ASHI or the home inspection industry.

Also as president I was disappointed that Frank was not all that familiar with Illinois State Home Inspection Law. Frank misspoke about numerous things that he stated that ONLY ASHI inspectors did. Frank should know that HI law in Illinois applies to all Illinois home inspectors.

Frank was also less than flattering when making references to the other home inspection associations and the practices that the other associations took part in. In fact it was down right insulting. I also did take the time out to express my feelings to the county representative who hired Frank to speak, and my objections to the misinformation that is dictated by Illinois state law, that Frank misspoke about to the general public.

As president of an organization such as ASHI and when speaking to the general public as an industry expert one would think that he would help promote the industry as opposed to spewing disinformation.

If anyone would like to hear Frank’s speech give me a call and I will play it back for you.

All I can say is I am glad I am not an ASHI member no will I ever be an ASHI member as long as they have leadership like Frank. Frank maybe a nice guy to have a beer with or to paly a ropund of golf with but……… he certainly is not a spokes person who should speak to the public about the home inspection industry.

Vote for Joe [FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT]
Secretary Chicago Chapter

Did he mention NACHI?

This should have been rule #1 with the others just being suggestions.:smiley: