Our Estimated Life Expectancy Chart is now updated!

Thank you to everyone who participated in updating our Estimated Life Expectancy Chart by providing us with suggestions for items and clarifying language so that we can have a document ready to go that you can both refer to yourselves and provide to your clients.

Please look it over because it has a lot of changes, including language added at the beginning and for the individual categories that states that certain conditions will affect some components’ lifespans: InterNACHI’s Standard Estimated Life Expectancy Chart.

While we strive to be inclusive, we have also created a chart specifically for Florida here.

Make sure that you replace the older chart on your websites with the updated one.

After reviewing the chart that affects you and your business area, please let us know if there are any items you strongly disagree with (and why), as well as standard items that still need to be added. (Yes, prizes are still available! :p) This is a “living document” and subject to update when we have a compelling reason to do so. Our information comes from a wide variety of sources, especially YOU, so let us know how we can make improvements.

Also, if you live in an area or state that, like Florida, requires you to provide life expectancy data as part of your inspection reports, we can create a similar chart for your state or region – just let us know, along with any items whose lifespan differs from what’s in the chart.

One of our resident researcher-authors, Kenton Shepard, is working on an article regarding the lifespan of fasteners and the various conditions that affect them, and this info will be folded into our charts when that’s done.

Thanks again for all your help, and post your comments here or contact me directly if you have any more suggestions.

Our fastener research won’t be completed until next week, but we’ll publish the report on fasteners separately in www.nachi.org/articles.htm when done.

I really like it, especially the Florida chart. A great improvement, and a job well done!

“Air Exchanger” is listed under Radon. Should be under HVAC.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors should be replaced at 5 years, not “under 10 years”.

Note: CO detectors and smoke/fire alarms expiration based from ‘date of manufacture’, not ‘after being placed in service’.

An air-to-air exchanger is sometimes used as a radon mitigation tool also. It does two things at once. It pressurizes the basement (keeping radon out) and it exchanges the indoor air with fresh air (double air exchange… cut radon in half).

That’s a nice chart, thank you to all the people who made this possible. :smiley:

Thank the NAHB :wink:

Our updated chart has been updated yet again, and includes the modified heading “Fasteners, Connectors & Steel,” which reflects a more accurate category and their items.

We’ll be revising that category as necessary once we get Kenton Shepard’s upcoming article regarding fasteners, and we’ll announce it on the website as soon as it’s posted.

Thanks for all your help, everybody!

LMAO nice edit…

Am I missing something? The chart doesn’t seem to have been updated, other than the caveats.

It may be “sometimes used as”, and a side benefit of, but it is not the primary intended use. If I am discussing an air exchanger in my report, and I supply the list or a link to the list, my client will never find it hidden in the Radon section, not to mention they will not understand it being the same unit. If you are insistant on keeping it in Radon, then add it to HVAC also… or I’ll just follow Russ’s suit, and rewrite it to suit my need’s, which defeats the purpose of 3rd party info.

Been there since you had us add it. We added it to radon section at the same time.

I appreciate that it is there *now, *but it was not when I posted the above. I would not have mentioned it if it was.

Perhaps it was entered, but not updated/refreshed, such as the many other posts on the 3 threads that state they see no changes to the list.

Thanks

You’re right, that was probably on our side. It’s a technical issue when more than one researcher/editor is working on the same live document to keep them from wiping out each others edits. Our bad.

Nice chart for sure. Very useful.

Jim