Pool inspection class - what do you want to see?

I’ve been asked to present a class on pool inspections at the National Conference in Aug. and I want it to be as relevant to your needs as possible so I have a few questions.

1.Do you do your own or do you hire a pool guy?
2.Why?
3.What would you like to see most, safety, filtration, structure, chemical systems, automation, finishes, etc.?
4. How long would you like it to be?

Please use the MBs private message system to answer. Of course if you’ve got some thing we’d all get into feel free to post it here too.

Thanks in advance.

I have a pool, but I hire a service to maintain it. I guess you could say I’m lazy. I also have house keeping service, landscape-maintenance service and I even have a mobile car wash service to clean my vehicles every other week. :smiley:

I do perform pool & spa inspections.

My opinion - Any course should focus primarily on safety systems related to pool & spa properties. That alone could fill an 8 hour course.

Indeed, safety HAS to be primary in my opinion also. Tell me what do you focus on with pool & spa safety, electric, barriers/alarms, suction entrapment, slip and fall? I know, all of the above, but in what order do you prioritize them.

I don’t lend priority to any defects - safety or otherwise.

Lawrence, email me fastreply@nachi.org your shipping address and I’ll send you http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/how-to-inspect-pools-and-spas-book.aspx

Thanks Nick, you rock!

Larry…I think getting through to people that it is a self circulating system and just breaking it down piece by piece will help.

I remember I went a pool equipment area and there were 13 pumps! There was a ton of fountains and waterfalls throughout the property. But once you break it down and follow it through, its rather easy.

Also hit on Chlorine Generators, Heaters, Electric heater that feeds a gas heater, air blowers, check valves, how do you know an electric heat pump is working, just because the fan is moving does not mean the compressor has activated.

Weir doors, lights, most common leak areas and maybe how they get repaired so you know the circle of pool life and maybe even some costs.

Maybe a way to remember where the jandy handles WERE when you first started. I have seen guys twist and turn handles then have no idea how to get it back to the original condition and maybe some secrets you can share.

Hope this helps.

Circle of pool life? Are you getting all new agey on us Russ?

Really though that’s what I’m asking for. Now come on the rest of you chime in. I’d also like to here from some not in Florida. What are the issues your having with pool inspections?

Where is this national conference?

orlando

Cool, I will try to make it.

Grounding, Bonding, GFCI protection is the most common serious issues I find.

Arizona also passed a law, if your old one stage pump fails, you can only buy a two stage, which requires a new Timer…gets to be expensive.

Most salt generators don’t work, most chlorine generators don’t work.

Lack of regular maintenance is the second most common problem with pools here. Water quality is poor. Skimmer baskets wadded full of crap, pump backets full of crap, etc. Guaranteed at least two-four leaks at piping.

If people don’t have a Pool service company taking care of the pool, you can be rest assured the filter, regardless of type, has about 40lbs pressure–:smiley:

and they’ll tell you “that’s normal!” :roll:

The pool inspection today. Looks really complicated, but once you break it down piece by piece its rather easy.

3rd time I have inspected this house in 3 years…first time, it took me forever to find the equipment!

Grounding, Bonding, GFCI protection is the most common serious issues I find.
How about lack of barriers (baby fence in the garage), loose, missing or wrong drain covers.

Arizona also passed a law, if your old one stage pump fails, you can only buy a two stage, which requires a new Timer…gets to be expensive.
So has FL and CA and now theres a national standard that addresses them. Have any other states followed?

Most salt generators don’t work, most chlorine generators don’t work.
First off “Salt gererators” and “Chlorine gererators” are the same thing just differant terms. second they do work but require spacific knowlage for each brand and slightly differant chemestry. They can be however rather finicky.

Lack of regular maintenance is the second most common problem with pools here. Water quality is poor. Skimmer baskets wadded full of crap, pump backets full of crap, etc. Guaranteed at least two-four leaks at piping.
Couldn’t agree more but it’s that way with any thing.

If people don’t have a Pool service company taking care of the pool, you can be rest assured the filter, regardless of type, has about 40lbs pressure
We’ve got service companies that are worse than the home owners. Even I have to keep on my techs about cleaning filters. We keep loogs for every pool and they DO get checked by the route manager or myself regularly.

Russ, I hate those buried equipment rooms!!! I would have loved to see you searching for it though :stuck_out_tongue:

Nick the book arrived today, just wanted to say thanks much!