Transportation

I am new to NACHI but have been in the construction industry as a project manager for over 30 years. I am just starting my business and as yet do not have a truck. I will get one in the near future. Is there a big disadvantage to using a car instead of a truck? Yes, I can fit a small folding ladder in my car because it has fold-down seats.

Whatever works for you, as long as you provide a complete, accurate, unbiased inspection for your clients. I wouldn’t care if a plumber used a scooter, as long as he did his job.

I know a guy who’s inspection vehicle is a BMW. My next ride will probably be a Prius thanks to Chairman Obama’s gas prices.

Does anybody carry a 24’ ladder?

I have a truck , extended cab, but the bed is only around 6’ in length. A few times people ask me, when I pull up, if I have a ladder assuming because the bed is shorter I must not. Actually I carry three ladders. Two Gorilla ladders (in the bed of the truck) and an Xtend & Climb (located in the cab) all used for different things. I fill my cab and bed with ladders etc. so I need the room.

If the vehicle you drive has folding down seats and you can fit a ladder/s and equipment you need I don’t think it matters what you drive.

Your vehicle will often set the “first impression” for your client, regardless of its functionality. If you pulled up in a sedan, I would be wondering if this is your profession or a weekend hobby.

Yes, I do, and as soon as I figure out how to mount it to a Smartcar or a Fiat 500, I’m off to replace my low mpg SUV!!! :wink:

I use my 07 Camry. My 16’ Krause ladder (Folds up several times) fits in my trunk and I get 32 MPG. :slight_smile:

That’s where the complexities of proper ladder mounting comes in… aka… Nerf bars!!! :twisted:

I carry the Little giant but it only extends to 21 or 22 feet. Still drive a GMS 2500 HD, sucks on gas my next vehicle will still be a truck but just not that big. i bought it when I still did construction it’s 11 years old and the HD was needed. Now not so much, i see inspectors with caravans around here.

Its not what they think/wonder before, it’s what they think after you’ve done your job and how you’ve done it that’s going to make an impression.

If Lebron James drove a rusty Pinto, would you care?

Nope I dont like Lebron no matter what car he drives (or what car he rides in while his driver drives) no car would alter my opinion.

That being said, I kind of agree with Jeff P.

My cousin is a landscaper, and his car is a little sporty convertable audi. He knows for a fact he has rolled up in that to estimate jobs and lost them because the prospect saw a nice car instead of a work vehicle and likely thought he was over charging.

Also this leads into attire, if your HI showed up in flip flops and a tank top, or a suit and tie you’d fee uneasy about him from go.

Josh, yes the impression you leave the client with is more important than showing up in the wrong type or car, but being great at your job will eventually win your trust. But why have to fight through the initial negative thoughts to redeem yourself?

I would still think he was trash. Money doesnt make the man

That’s what I call “thinking small.”

First impressions are important, whether you like it or not. There are often several parties at most inspections (buyers agent, sellers agent, clients friends/family, the seller, various contractors, etc.), only one of them being your current client. While your client may appreciate the job you’ve done, you’ve left everyone else wondering what your day job is.

Part of being a professional is “appearing” professional.

What about the 24’ ladder?

So, you want me to go out and buy a $30,000 truck just “in case” my client looks at my sedan and says “Hmm, even though this guy has a professional logo on his nicely ironed tucked in polo shirt, professional business cards, and tools that cost a fortune maybe I shouldn’t trust him because he wants 32 MPG instead of 10”?

I make my own first impression, not my car. And people are impressed that I fit a 16’ ladder in my trunk. It makes them want to go out and buy a Camry. No one has ever said “you’re not professional because you don’t have a huge gas-guzzling diesel dually.”

I might add that my Grandpa is in his 70s, has been getting 10-12 inspections a week consistently for the past 12 years we’ve been in business, and he drive an old Buick…

24’ ladder?

I don’t “want” you to do anything, I’m just giving you some food for thought. No need to get uptight.

Obviously, everybody’s area is different. If you are the only inspector in town, I’m sure you could show up on the bus and get work. If you’re that hung-up with “MPG’s” then your clients will really be impressed with how you can carry all your tools on the public transit.

Yes, you do make your own first impression, and like it or not, your vehicle will be part of that impression unless you park it down the block.