Win a prize, everyone wins. All you have to do is help with our Life Expectancy Chart

Look through http://www.nachi.org/life-expectancy.htm and make a suggestion for improvement.

You could explain why a life expectancy should be changed or you can suggest we add a new material, system or component (we can research it’s life expectancy if you make the suggestion) or you can suggest a tidbit of information that we can add to the little intro paragraph above each section or you can suggest a new section.

Everyone who helps wins. Prizes will be shipped to the address you have in your member profile.

Help a lot? Win more prizes.

BTW: These are really nice prizes. :smiley:

Paint… very warm climates and UV rays can shorten the life expectancy of paint and caulking.

AC… not cleaning AC systems can shorten the life expectancy.

Water Heater… the mineral content of water can shorten the life expectancy of water heaters.

Walls and Ceilings… high humidity can shorten the life expectancy of many interior materials.

Doors… the gaskets around many exterior doors may need replaced every 5-8 years.

Electrical… the most common cause of fire in a house over 30 years old is cause by an electrical issue.

Roofing - extreme heat and UV rays will shorten the life of most roofing materials and rubber roof jack gaskets.

Interior and exterior materials - moisture is the #1 enemy of a house and can shorten the life span of most materials.

Mechanical Equipment - If it last longer than 10 years, God grace is with you.

is any of the nahb/boa info inaccurate?

don’t see many wood decks making it past 15

is any of the nahb/boa info inaccurate?

most wood decks 15 yr max
nachi may want to address 25yr in print

DECKS YEARS
Deck Planks 25
Composite 8 to 25
Structural Wood 10 to 30

is any of the http://www.nahb.org/fileUpload_details.aspx?contentID=99359 info inaccurate?

most decks 15 yr max, if you can find one installed correctly
nachi may want to address 25yr in print
DECKS YEARS
Deck Planks 25
Composite 8 to 25
Structural Wood 10 to 30

no prize required for info available to anyone

Acoustical Tile Ceiling over 25 years old probably contains Asbestos.
Shower heads - 5 years + depending on water quality and mineral deposits.
Toilet tank components - 5 years + depending on water quality and mineral deposits.
GFCI outlets - 30 to 40 years.
Carbon Monoxide detectors - 5 to 6 years.

Exterior fiberglass, steel and wood doors will last as long as the house,

while vinyl and screen doors have a shorter life expectancy.

Outside siding materials typically last a lifetime,

Hose bibs - 20 to 30 years.
Ceiling Fans - 5 to 10 years.

Countertops: I would add Cement 50+ years. (probably 100+)
In my experience, home networks only last 5 years at best.

Sliding glass doors - 20 years before roller/wheel replacement.
Metal Chimney Cap - 10 to 20 years.
Concrete Chimney Cap - 100+ years.

Just briefly looked and heat pumps are noted as having a longer life then an AC condensor. This would also depend on the area.

Heat pumps 16 years and AC 8 to 15 is listed on chart. Air conditioners are listed 2X and have differant years noted.

Disagree with the paint/caulk/adhesive section, as there are so many types. This should be annual yearly inspection. Suggest a section for yearly maintenance.

Disagree with wood chips/mulch - seems like every year for mulch.
Water Heater is listed 2X one is 10 years one is 20 years. I would have 8-12 years as the expected life of a gas water heater.

rock wool insulation? evaporative coolers? In AZ the main electric panels are outside. How long is a panel good for?

I would like to see a condensed version with only furnace, A/C, water heater, most common roof claddings, major kitchen appliances, windows, doors, plumbing fixtures. Basically anything under ~20 year lfe span with a blanket statement about maintenance affecting the longevity.

Some people have short attention spans.

Unless I missed it, I did not see “Air Exchangers” listed.
Someone else mentioned a ‘maintenance’ list. These need to be on it also.

“If maintained properly”
should be at the top of page.

I would like to see the difference between stainless vs. galvanized for deck hangers etc. in salt air environments. I see a lot of galvanized stuff go to hell in a short amount of time. Also, manufactured home components in any climate.

Change Termite Proofing - 12 yrs. In FL, no such thing as Termite Proof. Termite Bonds are only good for one year and require scheduled treatment.

Water heater - 20+. Really depends on quality and physical/chemical properties of the water. I recommend planned replacement on any over 10 yrs.

Ducting - 10 yrs. An all metal duct should last 100+.

Central A/C - 12-15 yrs. I recommend planned replacement over 10 yrs.

Wireless home network - 50+ yrs. The interstitial airspace should last until the end of the home or the end of days. The wireless router is probably only good for 2 yrs.

I am shipping all your prizes. Keep them coming. There is no end to this project. This will keep our researchers busy!

Thanks for all your great insights and assistance! I’ll be researching all the suggestions and we’ll post the link for the updated chart soon. :slight_smile: