De-winterizing a house

Are there any inspectors here that perform inspections on vacant bank owned homes and are asked to de-witerize the house for the inspection and then re-winterize the house after the inspection?

I don’t think that I would want to be responsible for any water damage should something occur after opening the main shutoff valve on a house that has been vacant for years.

Also how much extra would you charge to perform this type of an inspection? Twice your normal rate? Three times your normal rate?

We don’t have that need here in AZ but I would check with your insurance carrier about these services.

I would love to move some where that I could *golf *year round…damn family…jk.:mrgreen:

Dumb idea .
Look up all past threads.

Hope you like court suits if you do it.

I’ve done it a couple times with enough advance warning. It has to be done correctly. Air pressure tested before activating any portion of the system. 15 minutes at 50 psi with no draw down. Any draw down in pressure and it is a no go. $150 to dewinterize is paid whether good or bad results. $195 to rewinterize. The RV antifreeze is always on sale.

I would not perform any dewinterization without air pressure testing first.

http://www.nachi.org/winterization.htm

http://www.nachi.org/winterization-agreement.htm

please explain how providing this/these services doesn’t violate COE

The InterNACHI member shall not perform or offer to perform, for an additional fee, any repairs or associated services to the structure for which the member or member’s company has prepared a home inspection report for a period of 12 months. This provision shall not include services to components and/or systems that are not included in the InterNACHI Standards of Practice.

From International Code of Ethics for Home Inspectors - InterNACHI http://www.nachi.org/code_of_ethics.htm#ixzz2IQGzibTP

isn’t plumbing and associated components covered in the sop

i’d like to hear from those on the ethics committee

Nope i will not do it. i will not even turn the water on .

It is the sellers responsibility and guess what…you are now working for the seller as well ?

Hmmmm any conflict of interest here ? :slight_smile:

Something smells…oh never mind just that broken pipe that is your fault .
Have fun.

I’m starting to understand why many join the home inspection industry. It’s a sad epiphany.

So we can speak cryptically ?
Or do you mean so we can clean toilets for extra cash ?

(so sad some newbies turn a profession into a janitor trade.)…do you agree?

My job is to inspect the Plumbing ,not work on it.

Personally, I don’t/won’t contract these services, but I can see how it may be beneficial to some members.

I think the answer to your question Barry, is in the intent of the COE. Clearly, the intent is to prohibit inspectors from using their inspection to secure additional services that are the RESULT of their inspection-findings.

The state law for CA is worded a bit differently, and these (de)winterization services would be allowed. However, the iNACHI COE is worded in a way where these services could easily be argued as in violation.

De-winterization is performing repairs on a home you inspected and a direct violation which goes further if you consider you are turning shutoffs,and more than likely performing small repairs in conjunction with these services.

Doing this work is fine if not to the home you are inspecting under contract however.

No everybody can hack being a Full time Inspector I guess.

I am now contacting the plumber I know. I am going to have him train me to do this so I can offer it. If you don’t want to offer this service that’s awesome. Being scared of your apparent technical incompetence and fear mongering other members is pitiful.

It is plain as day that its not a violation of the COE.

For those about to preach liability

I have drained, flushed, serviced and pressure tested 3000 psi hydraulic systems. Afterwards, people flew on the helicopters that I said were ready to fly. I’m not scared to be properly trained to dewinterize a home.

There are handymen and plumbers who do this everyday and they apparently aren’t scared either. It is probably because they are confident in their ability.

Good morning Bob,
Not to be argumentative, but more me being in a questionable mood.
Dewinterizing a property is not repairing anything, and it’s done prior to the inspection…? am I missing something?

I would consider it prepping the house for the inspection and returning to the original state. I would not see it as a violation of the intent of the SOP. If it is found to be a violation of the letter of the SOP, I think the SOP could be easily tweaked to accommodate this.

We have very few houses like that in our area, at least the kind I inspect, so there is little reason to get involved in it. I don’t do it. However, if I were in a market area with a high percentage of these homes I would seriously consider offering it as a service with a few basic caveats and requirements.

• Verify that my GL carrier will cover this activity
  • Done only under separate contract with the seller which included full indemnification
  • Proper training and equipment
  • An appropriate fee to make it profitable to perform that service

So yes, If I were in one of those markets, I would definitely consider it.

Juan
Wait till you flood the second floor and see what your insurance says :wink: been there done that. Luckily I had written permission .
If your offering it as separate service go for it . To often we get there no water is turned on and yes they where told all services are to be on.

Yes, check with your ins. carrier. Does one pressure test the DWV also?

It is not being confident , it is called CYA . Being cocky well that is another post. I also serviced equipment people depended on for many many years In fact longer than i want to remember , How ever Working for yourself all liability’s fall on you . Handy Man hmm in most cases have no insurance and nothing to take .Plumbers are licensed with insurance and BTW is their trade.