Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > General Inspection Topics > Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors

Notices

Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors Discuss whatever you wish in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1/22/13, 3:24 AM
InterNACHI Member

Default You gotta love the attitude

So as there is a discussion regarding a new WA State law regarding energy audits that is being discussed, the subject of IR cameras came up. This was the response from a home inspector that purchased a BCAM SD and has taken no training, received no certifications and doesn't charge extra for using the camera. I guess the $5k he spent for a "tool" was just write off.

Ive been using a flir camera for 6 years now,.. no special certification is needed,... point it at the interior walls / ceilings find cold spots, confirm the spot is wet with a moisture meter and move on. The B.S. that you need to spend thousands of dollars to be "certified" to use a tool is crap. Blue is cold, red is hot. I learned that in first grade. Whats so difficult in deciphering hot and cold images on a camera? Yes,.. you have to confirm things and in that a little common sense is all you need.

Stephen Stanczyk
Washington State Licensed Home Inspector # 221
President, Washington Association of Property Inspectors (WAPI)
(253) 241-0602 calls answered until 10pm

Pierce County -Thurston County - King County - Snohomish County
Need a home inspection in Montana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Montana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/22/13, 8:10 AM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: You gotta love the attitude

well I had to throw money at like 5 different companies to get a license to operate EPERMS for radon... device testing, calibration, membership of this and that, license fees.... I open a canister, I close a canister. couldnt be easier.
Old 1/22/13, 4:37 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: You gotta love the attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstanczyk View Post
So as there is a discussion regarding a new WA State law regarding energy audits that is being discussed, the subject of IR cameras came up. This was the response from a home inspector that purchased a BCAM SD and has taken no training, received no certifications and doesn't charge extra for using the camera. I guess the $5k he spent for a "tool" was just write off.

Ive been using a flir camera for 6 years now,.. no special certification is needed,... point it at the interior walls / ceilings find cold spots, confirm the spot is wet with a moisture meter and move on. The B.S. that you need to spend thousands of dollars to be "certified" to use a tool is crap. Blue is cold, red is hot. I learned that in first grade. Whats so difficult in deciphering hot and cold images on a camera? Yes,.. you have to confirm things and in that a little common sense is all you need.
It's ashamed he didn't make it to second grade!