Don't Shoot the Messenger...WA HI Licensing

(I received this in the e-mail last night…maybe someone can use it.)

Information about home inspector licensing!****

All home inspectors must be licensed by July 1, 2010. There are four steps to becoming a licensed home inspector:

1. Get educated
  2. Submit an exam application
  3. Take the exam
  4. Apply for your license

Here are detailed instructions on the steps to becoming a licensed home inspector!

1. Get educated

If you were not licensed before September 1, 2009, you are required to take a board approved, 120-hour home inspection fundamentals course and mentor with an experienced home inspector for 40 hours of field training to include 5 actual home inspections.
You can find a list of board approved fundamental courses on the Department of Licensing website.

1. Submit an exam application

After you finish your education and field training, submit your home inspection exam application packet. Your exam application must include:

1.  Proof of completing a board approved home inspection fundamentals course

2.  Proof of completing field training with an experienced home inspector with 5 actual home inspections

3.  A complete home inspector [exam application](http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/625002.pdf) form

Mail your exam application to:
Home Inspectors
Department of Licensing
P O Box 9048
Olympia WA 98507-9048

Once your exam application has been evaluated and approved, you will receive an exam eligibility approval letter with contact information for the exam provider and instructions on completing the license process.

1. Take the exam

You must contact the exam provider to schedule your exam time and location and arrange payment for your exam. The cost for the full exam is $300.

When you pass the exam, the exam provider will give you state and national pass reports you will need for your license application.

If you fail all or a portion of the exam, you must wait 24 hours before scheduling with the exam provider to retake your exam. The cost to retake your exam is $125 for the state portion and $250 for the national portion.

1. Apply for your license

After passing your home inspector exam, submit your home inspector license application. Your license application must include:

1.  A copy of your state and national pass reports from the exam provider

2.  A complete home inspector [license application](http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/625003.pdf) form with your date of birth and Social Security Number required by [RCW 26.23.150](http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.23.150)

3.  Your $680 licensing fee made payable to Washington State Treasurer

Mail your license application to:
Home Inspectors
Department of Licensing
P O Box 9048
Olympia WA 98507-9048

For more information, please contact us at:

Home Inspectors
Department of Licensing Email: DOLINTHomeInspectors@dol.wa.gov
P O Box 9015 Phone: 360-664-6487
Olympia WA 98507-9015 Fax: 360-586-0998

I got it too…TWICE. LOL I’m almost certain that it was prompted by me. I told them I wasn’t licensed at the meeting but I still perform home inspections. Hehe Apparently, they want to make the deadline clear.

Are you getting licensed?

Doubt it.

No Kevin,

It wasn’t prompted by you. Rhonda and every member of the board has known for months what your position is. Rhonda and most members of the board visit the boards to keep abreast of what’s going on and those who aren’t in the habit of visiting the boards are kept informed by the rest of us about what’s being discussed.

I think Bruce just wanted you to say it for the record.

With less than 100 days until the deadline, Rhonda is simply doing her best to get the word out so that there won’t be any repeats of last year where the last two weeks before the deadline dozens of inspectors would show up at her office every day claiming that they’d never been made aware there was a new licensing law and demanding an extension.

It’ll be interesting to see whether those same folks show up again this year claiming ignorance and wanting special treatment like those pushing SB6433.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike O’Handley, LHI
Your Inspector LLC.
Kenmore, Washington
Wa. Lic. Home Inspector #202

Ok. We’ll settle with coincidence. :mrgreen:

Isn’t “the record” the state’s list? Did I really have to “say” that I wasn’t licensed for you to know I’m not licensed?

BTW, it was Deb that asked me, not Bruce. You would’ve remembered that if you weren’t half conscious at the meeting.