New York COE & Standards need us!!

Greg Harwood from NYSAHI just sent out a blast e-mail about the flaw in the proposed COE & Standards for NY that might limit us and benefit the engineers, if you plan on inspecting, speaking, teaching or anything else in NY, I highly, strongly urge you to read the standards and COE, nad get your comments to the state. The NYSAHI group has posted the links for comment, anyone from out of State, i.e. NICK, that has any pull at all, should also weigh in on the subject. We need your help.

Mike,

I’ve been posting about this for weeks, with little response from the masses who visit this message board. In this category (State Legislation), there are no fewer than three threads on the topic, including areas I found troublesome about the COE. One of the nastier ditties in the COE established HIs with a fiduciary duty to their clients. This single requirement can have disasterous consequences for HIs.

I was recently invited by the NYSAHI Board to join their working group on development of a new draft COE and SOP. We will be meeting sometime in coming weeks to develop a single, cohesive position on this important matter.

I will be representing NACHI and ESAHI. Nick and I agreed that NACHI should committ to working in harmony with other HI associations in NY State, who are interested in forging a true alliance on this matter. NACHI had pledged full support to this effort.

Philosophies aside, we have all agreed to keep the politics out of it, and to get the job done. There will be other days for debate on other topics of common interest. For now, we have pledged to work together in the interests of all who may be affected by the ratification of the present version of the NY State COE and SOP.

But, we cant do it alone. We need everyone’s help.

Here are the links to the SOP and COE:
ACTION IS NEEDED NOW!
[FONT=‘Courier New’][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]The Department of State has released draft versions of the home inspection Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics documents for initial review[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif] and comment by our industry.[/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]**THESE DOCUMENTS CONTAIN FATAL FLAWS THAT WOULD HAVE A DRASTIC IMPACT ON OUR PROFESSION AND YOUR LIVELIHOOD IF ADOPTED AS WRITTEN. **These draft regulations would place strict limits on the amount of information an inspector could legally give his/her client and would give the impression to the general public that hiring a PE is the only way to have a home’s systems [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]evaluated in a meaningful way.
[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]I urge all home inspectors to review these documents and then to contact the Department of State and the Home Inspector Advisory Council with their comments. The dead line for comments is July 2, 2007.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]The documents can be viewed at the following links: [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Code of Ethics
Standards of Practice[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]
Comments should be directed to Whitney Clark, Council for the Department. Her address is on the documents at the links above. Please also copy your comments to the members of the Home Inspector Advisory Council. Their addresses can be found at the following link: Home Inspector Advisory Council Members
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[size=4]Of course, NYSAHI is also working on a detailed response. But your input is vital at this time.
Thank you,

[/size] Gregg Harwood, NYSAHI President 2006-07, 607.773.1519

[/FONT]

Bump.

Come on, guys. It’s YOUR livlihood.