Not Part of the Home Inspection SOP

There was another thread where a HI wanted to test for radon or mold, then turn around and remediate for mold or mitigate for radon. Everyone jumps in and says not for 12 months. However, Radon testing and Mold Testing are outside the scope of a HI. Is it unethical to do the work?

Before you say no, what if a plumber comes in to a real estate transaction and inspects the WH. He says that the installation is incorrect. Is that unethical? By the way, many of us require an expert (electrician, plumber, etc) to re-inspect the system entirely.

Note: I have no intentions of remediating for mold or mitigating for radon. I’m just interested to hear the answer.

I wouldn’t do it, but I know guys that do. I also know agents that won’t refer them because they do that

You can offer any services you want with the exception of repairs within the first 12 months of inspection according to the COE.

I don’t see how it could be.

I do termite inspections, but do not do the treatment.

I do radon testing, but not the mitigation.

Too many conflicts of interest. Agents and buyers appreciate that. There are just too many contractors who want the extra income, whether or not the treatments/mitigation needs to be done.

Same issue
Termite Inspection on a real estate transaction is done by a Pest Control company and he finds termite activity. His response is to fumigate and he bids the project.

Seems to be the same as the situation as the plumber.

In Illinois, and I believe Nick has said same applies to InterNachi, an inspector can perform additional services, including repairs, when conflict of interest is disclosed and there is a written consent with the client.

Sec. 15-10. Grounds for disciplinary action.

“Performing a home inspection when the **home inspector is providing or may also provide other services in connection with the residential real property or transaction, or has an interest in the residential real property, ** without providing prior written notice of the potential or actual conflict and obtaining the prior consent of the client as provided by rule.”

I understand both sides of the coin on this one and I steer clear of any apparent bias. Still I wonder are we going too far?

When is it ever “going to far” to take the ethical “high ground”?

Try the flip-side… become the “Unethical Scumbag” and see how far your business goes!