Prepare for IRS audit: Another tax tip for inspectors who have a home office.

Many inspectors use part of their home exclusively for running their inspection business. For example, if you use an extra room to run your business, you can take a home office deduction for that extra room.

If you are ever audited, it will be to your advantage if you can demonstrate that the room or the percentage of your home devoted to inspection business use was actually used for your inspection business. Here is a way to create that documentation: Take PICs of that area or room showing it being used for your inspection business and post those PICs here, on this message board thread and don’t ever edit those posts. Do this every few months or so. This message board date/time stamps your posts and PICs and provides third-party, chronological documentation of your home office use. If you are ever audited, direct the IRS auditor to this thread.

If your room has a side door exiting the room and a restroom in there . In California you can even right off more of a percentage . I have a storage and moving into a office in Feb since I do more than home inspections. Just wanted to add my suggestion in there too.

Good to know, thanks Joseph.