Stopping the ASHI/ITA Attempt to Control

It has happened in enough states this year to recognize the national effort to control home inspectors through legislation by an ASHI controlled education vendor and a few ASHI members.

Step one is the formation of a “coalition” that is controlled by certain members of ASHI who have been assured of teaching positions if they have successfully formed a bill that will give ITA an “in” regarding the mandatory training (120 hours, 90 hours, 60 hours, etc) of new home inspectors.

Step two is to attempt to create public support through the media by finding one or two bad home inspections to exploit and build a case that legislation is necessary to “protect the consumer”.

Step three is to convince legislators that their “coalition” represents the majority of home inspectors in that state and that their members support the proposed bill.

This scenario is playing itself over and over, quite regularly, and with mixed results.

Sounds similar to what is occuring up here in Ontario with an ASHI affiliate.

This is a chapter out of the ASHI playbook.

The organization, plan, manipulation, fraudulent representation…

I actually believe that many, if not most, ASHI inspectors (rank and file) DO NOT really support legislation proposed. They are intelligent, and are only trying to make a living like the rest of us. I believe many are bullied into joining and supporting these so-called “coalitions”.

I also believe that there is a sort of unwritten succession within the upper tiers of ASHI.

I wonder if the bigwhigs behind these efforts would embrace the following idea:

That no single educational curriculum within a state pertaining to the training of home inspectors for licensing or continuing education shall be mandated.

That course length be allowed to be 100 hours.

That schools offering licensing curriculum MUST offer the requesite inspection portion, and said requirements are automatically a part of the curriculum, included in the pricing, and the school shall find the inspections, coordinate the activities, insure the students and premesis, and include this segment to be available for completion in a very timely manner as part of the tuition.

That the actual course content not be specified as part of the law; only the outline of subjects to be covered and the time spent per segment required.

That qualifications of instructors and schools be fairly liberal, so as to put education into the hands of MANY, rather than the hands of a few.

That licensing boards have no specific authority, other than to advise the governmental entity they report to.

*That few interpretations of the law, or sections to be developed or initiated, be left to these licensing boards. *

That curriculative requirements be specific within the law.

That “housekeeping” amendments, initiated in secret and without the opportunity for input and a legislative vote, be disallowed.

That licensing boards be balanced with an equal number of industry professionals and ordinary taxpayers not affiliated with our profession, and that this rule be strictly adhered to.

Not that I am in favor of licensing, but I am doing this to simply prove a point. Absent of something for somebody along the line, I wonder what the arguments will be against these suggestions. There are no legitimate arguments against them, other than it TAKES from those who seek to gain power or perks or control or indentured servitude.

I would also love to see the need for licensing challenged at a legislative level. Statistically, we all can agree that there are probably many more serious complaints against contractors and realtors than we lowly HIs.

When we hear of an inspection group or bogus “coalition” touting how legislation is needed to protect the consumer, the facts should bear themselves out. Our plan should be to demand the data supporting such a need, and to point out what the proposed law REALLY says and does.

The consumer protection issues go to the back burner. Always do…

I wonder if any of it is covered under RICO.

[quote=jbushart]
It has happened in enough states this year to recognize the national effort to control home inspectors through legislation by an ASHI controlled education vendor and a few ASHI members.

So where was NACHI during all this and what were our rep’s doing?

We ran into this during a recent trip to Arkansas. The licensing is all about ASHI.

NACHI Reps?

If inspectors in their home states dont step up, then they shouldnt complain about what happens.

Legislators meeting with real estate salesmen in Kansas City, last night, discussed the fact that to license contractors and builders would not be on next year’s agenda. Nor, said the legislators, do they have an interest in requiring or enforcing building codes (that should be a city or county issue).

These are the main factors that directly affect every consumer living in (rent or purchase) a home in this state.

It is proof for anyone wanting to make the argument that the effort to license home inspectors is NOT consumer oriented…but is an effort controlled by special interests who would gain financially from the outcome.

From the activities that have taken place this spring in various states, it is obvious who these special interests are. We have successfully stopped them in New Hampshire, Missouri, and Kansas and have sent them back to the drawing board in Washington State.

Not only is licensing NOT inevitable…but it is retractable. Let’s start getting these idiotic laws off the books in the states where they exist. They are not “home inspection laws” as much as they are “marketing plans” and they need to be exposed as such to the media.

Zoe…Here is where we were, in Missouri…

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14904

This is what the NACHI people did in New Hampshire.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14915

This is what the NACHI members did in Washington.

Our boys in Kansas played their cards close to the vest and did their work outside of the public (and ASHI’s) eye…and came out on top, as well.

If you are a home inspector in a state that is being threatened and you are waiting for some association leadership to bail you out…you are about to become licensed. If it is to be, it is up to thee.

Ditto Alberta and B.C.

In case you have never seen “The Invasion of the Body Snatchers”, I would advise you to do everything possible to discredit these make-believe “coalitions” with every means at your disposal. Left to grow and mature, they become like PHIC in Pennsylvania, and eventually take over the profession in your area.

Here is the proof and or reality.
Yes we fought back in NH and won the first round, we still have more to go. We as NACHI members fought hard and apposed this ridiculous legislation by the independent coalition.

One thing that was in our favor is the registration of contractors in NH.

By this I mean, the Senate has proposed licensing of contractor in NH for 6 years in a row and failed, after all we live in the LIVE FREE OR DIE state. Anyway the bill that got passed to register contractor was much less than licensing, it calls for contractors to register with the state. When I spoke at the hearing I gave my scenario which is this.

I own a construction comp. I now have to register with the state, this allows me to go to my next job which is to rebuild the second floor of a 50 year old cape. this renovation include tearing off the second floor roof, disconnecting the electrical to the second floor as well as the heat, all the while my client is still occupying the house while we rebuild. Now my home inspection company gets a call to inspect the neighbors house which is the same 50 year old cape, built by the same builder, now I have to have 120 hours of education, mentoring, insurance, blah, blah blah, it just does not make sense.

So, sorry for the long winded post but if everyone understands how this ASHI/ independant coilition bill reads they relise how rediculase it is.

There is no reason for someone who is opposed to licensing to ever resort to joining a “coalition”, at the very heart of a “coalition” resides “compromise” and “compromise” = licensing. So, beware of those silvery tongue devils who claim that licensing is inevitable and the only way to fight is to join a “coalition” or some such nonsense.

Chaos rules, licensing solves nothing.

Difficult to discredit when NACHI National lends support to their proposals…

http://nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9231

Nick is entitled to his personal opinion and, if asked, will probably explain to you that it was his personal opinion that he expressed.

NACHI, the association, opposes all legislation that puts an unfair burden on future inspectors (such as the PHIC mentoring proposal), puts an existing inspector out of work, or shows bias in favor of or against any particular association.

It is possible for Nick to be in favor of a bill that NACHI would oppose. Why not invite him to comment?

It is being reported that, in New York, ASHI and NAHI representatives of ITA on the education review board are writing the rules that have already outlawed almost every proposed course for continuing education…with the exception of those being offered by ITA.

We need to get some national attention focused on this.

ITA marketing plans disguised as home inspection laws need to be repealed, immediately. ASHI leaders who are selling out their own members in order to land these teaching jobs need to be exposed to their membership and thrown out.

lets buy out ASHI and then dump it

Buying ASHI may not be a bad idea. I wonder if ITA would be interested in selling them.

Anybody will sell for the right price