Wind Mitigation

I am a structural engineer(P.E.) an soon a licensed Special Inspector in the the State of Florida.

I am interested in getting into Wind Mitigation investigations.

Who is dictating the requirements, the state or insurance companies?

Any links to requirements would be greatly appreciated…

The insurance companies dictate the InterNACHI membership requirement.
The state dictates the completion of an approved Wind Mitigation course.

Here is how to join: www.nachi.org/membership.htm
Here is the free, online Wind Mitigation Inspection course: http://www.nachi.org/wind-mitigation-inspection-course.htm

Best wishes.

Thank you so much for you quick response. And I appreciate the information.

A few more quick questions…

It appears that the InterNACHI membership is free, and all the classes too, is this correct?

Secondly it appears from reading the citizens requirements that as a P.E. i am qualified with out any classes by the insurance company, but i will definitely take the free courses to educate myself more on wind mitigation and inspections.

Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form (OIR-B1-1802)

Citizens considers as valid a uniform mitigation verification form that is signed by one the following qualified inspectors:

A Florida-licensed home inspector who has completed at least three hours of hurricane mitigation training that includes hurricane mitigation techniques, compliance with the uniform mitigation form and completion of a proficiency exam, and who completes at least two hours of mitigation-related continuing education per year
A Florida-licensed general, building or residential contractor
A Florida-certified building code inspector or building code official (who is authorized by the State of Florida or its counties’ municipalities to verify building code compliance)
A Florida-licensed professional engineer
A Florida-licensed professional architect
Any other individual or entity recognized by Citizens (at its discretion) as possessing the necessary qualifications to properly complete a uniform mitigation verification form
A Florida-licensed roofing contractor (for roofing mitigation features/components only)
As authorized under Section 627.711 of Florida law, Citizens reserves the right to verify any mitigation form completed by a qualified inspector by conducting its own independent inspection. This inspection may be performed either before or after a mitigation form has been accepted and may impact mitigation credits applied toward the policy.
Building Type II and III Mitigation Verification (MIT-BT II & III) (WBDR-1802)

Citizens will accept this form signed by one the following qualified inspectors:
A Florida-licensed general or building contractor
A Florida-certified building code inspector or building code official (who is authorized by the State of Florida or its counties’ municipalities to verify building code compliance)
A Florida-licensed professional architect
A Florida-licensed roofing contractor (for roofing mitigation features/components only)

Commercial Windstorm Protective Device Proof of Compliance (WPD-1C)

Citizens will accept this form signed by one the following qualified inspectors:
A Florida licensed professional architect
A duly designated regulations and code “qualifier” for a manufacturing company

And as i read the Florida Statue, I am qualified according to Florida Statute 627.711

I just want to make sure i have all my ducks in a row… Thanks again

Florida Statute 627.711
1. A home inspector licensed under s. 468.8314 who has completed at least 3 hours of hurricane mitigation training which includes hurricane mitigation techniques and compliance with the uniform mitigation verification form and completion of a proficiency exam. Thereafter, home inspectors licensed under s. 468.8314 must complete at least 2 hours of continuing education, as part of the existing licensure renewal requirements each year, related to mitigation inspection and the uniform mitigation form;
2. A building code inspector certified under s. 468.607;
3. A general, building, or residential contractor licensed under s. 489.111;
4. A professional engineer licensed under s. 471.015;
5. A professional architect licensed under s. 481.213; or
6. Any other individual or entity recognized by the insurer as possessing the necessary qualifications to properly complete a uniform mitigation verification form.
(b) An insurer may, but is not required to, accept a form from any other person possessing qualifications and experience acceptable to the insurer.

What areas do you cover? You are already considered qualified.
InterNACHI membership is in no way free but it is worth the fee.

I would like to service the greater Tampabay area …

Any suggestions on how to generate leads? Do i launch a website, and work word of mouth?

Thanks

What is a licensed Special Inspector in the the State of Florida?

I would say being certified only qualifies someone to sign the inspection. Performing an accurate survey requires proper training and experience.

In one word… SYNERGY. No one thing (such as a website) will guarantee success. Synergy will. You have to do a whole lot of things correctly, each of them alone are very insignificant… but they add up.

Here, shut off the KY Derby (the winner of a 2 minute long sport won’t affect your business success)… and instead read every word of Starting a Home Inspection Business - InterNACHI® and every word in every link found in there… twice.

First of all, i thank all of you for your input.

The requirements for special inspector are …

QUALIFICATIONS CRITERIA
All applicants must be professional engineers, in good standing, licensed in the State of Florida. In addition they must:

1. Have had experience on at least three threshold type buildings.
  2. Demonstrate completion of three years of experience in performing structural field inspections on threshold buildings, and two years of experience in the structural design of threshold type buildings. The beginning dates of projects shall be no older than ten years prior to the date of the application.
  3. Submit three letters of recommendation from professional engineers whose principal practice is structural engineering in the State of Florida, one of whom must be certified special inspector.

A Threshold Building is defined in Section 553.71(7), Florida Statutes, as

1. Any building greater than three stories or 50 feet in height OR
  2. A building having an Assembled Occupancy which exceeds 5,000 sq.ft. and has an occupancy content of greater
    than 500 persons.

I would not provide a service i didnt think i was qualified to do. When it comes to plumbing, electrical,… I am the first to admit i am not qualified.
When it comes to structural, thats a different story.

Thanks for the info Patrick. I had never heard of that type of inspector.

What area of the state are you in?

Have you heard of the reinspection program for wind mits?

Gregg,

I am in Tampa Bay.

I have heard a little bit about the re inspection program. Any info would be greatlly appreciated.

Thanks again.