3 6x6's Used for Deck Posts

This deck has posts made of 6x6’s nailed together and had metal tack plates to keep the joists from splitting. It just didn’t feel right. Is this legit? Photo is attached.

Fine.

Least of your worries!
Joist end is only allowed a D/4 notch. Basically, you have 2x4 joists!

Assuming proper hardware/fasteners are utilized.

Am I missing something? I don’t see any 6x6’s.

Your not alone.

Did this after too long a day! Post made up of 3 2X8’s! More wood than a 6 x 6 but seemed they might separate, is this better or worse than a solid 6 x 6? Notch is clearly more than 1/4 depth…some joists are splitting at the point of attachment…I did wonder about those metal reinforcements perpendicular along he length of the joists. This deck has been standing for 10 years. What do I recommend?

Okay, I’ve been a carpenter since 1974,and I’ve never seen that before. I would say no go.

Sounds like the guy worked for Cleary buildings. They build barns and such and they do that and sandwich the trusses between them with bolts or bolt it on one side resting on a 2x. But they don’t cut the joists like that :roll: I’d say after ten years that it maybe starting to fail if the joists are cracking.

Other thing in question is wood species. The joists appear to me to be cedar which is not approved at the same span or load levels as SPF would be. Here generally no cedar would be used as joist framing or support material under 2x10 dimension.
On the other hand the joists appear to be engineered with assembly plates allowing the notching while keeping the joist tied together? very unusual construction.
the 2x6 beam would not meet any but the shortest span load requirements I would question the construction as advising the client to check for building permits and sign off on final inspection of exterior deck.

based on pic imo
kiss & cya
“client should request all prior installation & repair documents & a competent deck contractor should review & repair as required”
your observed-written concerns regardless of founder/cmi “fine” reply

I like it better than a solid post and I’ll explain why:

Most old-growth forests are gone and so the quality of solid posts stinks. They warp. They split. One knot could be all the way through the post, causing a weak spot. A built-up post made of different members doesn’t suffer these problems.

In that case I would prefer to see a glu-lam post. Instead of something cobbled together by a YouTube carpenter.

I love Glulams. What an awesome product.

Except they are usually not exterior rated.

Those gang plates on the joists are most likely there as a retrofit repair for the splitting. I would call the whole thing out for review.

Not usually. You need to order exterior if that’s what you want. You can also order it resawn, or cut to length.

Paul,
Please go to the “Control Panel” and fill in all of your information. I E city and state that you live in.
Why? Most states {in the United States} use the ICC/International code Council building codes. Some cities and states use the 2009 version others use the 2012 version.

Those of us who are trying to answer your question do not know if you live in the United States or if you live in Canada or some other country.
Accordingly it is impossible to tell if you fall under the 2009 ICC rules and regulations or if you fall under the 2012 ICC rules and regulations.

I agree with the others who say that this is say “unusual construction” and I agree that the local building inspector should get a call.

poster said 10yr old deck…based on pic wrong is wrong & attempted repair either by a deck installer, design professional, engineer or hack
yr-code cycle is irrelevant regardless of what the local code official says
their job is to approve and garnish higher taxable value…no more no less

Thank you all! Very interesting discussion. Great to have meaningful input! Paul

I always suggest approved permits be obtained for exterior decks, that deck from the picture has many incorrect issues. The floor joists are notched out too much at the ends as only 1/4 at the end can be cut out, the joists ledger is not bearing on the support posts and it also appears the vinyl siding may have been incorrectly sandwiched between the ledger and the house sheathing.