Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Exterior Inspections

Notices

Exterior Inspections Contains discussions about the exterior portion of a home inspection. This includes roofs, gutters, downspouts, decks, patios, windows, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4/6/08, 8:45 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Asphalt shingles over wood shingles

Is it ever OK to put asphalt shingles over the original wood shingles? I did an older home (80+) that had two layers of asphalt shingles over the original wood. It has spaced board sheathing. Even though the current layer of shingles are only about 5 years old I feel the client needs to know the additional cost of having all this removed the next time he needs a roof. Because he will also need to have new sheathing installed over the spaced boards.
Old 4/6/08, 9:25 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Asphalt shingles over wood shingles

Certainteed requires beveled wood strips be applied to all existing wood shingle courses to obtain an even base. This is to ensure good anchorage for fasteners and also to prevent an uneven base from telegraphing through.
Old 4/6/08, 10:02 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: rbrady is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I see that quite frequently here. I have never seen ashpalt shingles over a shake roof, but over wood shingles is common.

I do make a comment that removal of previous layers and installation of sheathing will likely be required when reroofing.
Old 4/7/08, 1:44 AM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via ICQ to kshepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrady
I see that quite frequently here. I have never seen ashpalt shingles over a shake roof, but over wood shingles is common.

I do make a comment that removal of previous layers and installation of sheathing will likely be required when reroofing.
Ralph's right. Real important is that depending on jurisdiction, they may not allow re-installation of wood shingles or shakes. Most roof covering materials require a solid roof deck. That may mean ripping off spaced sheathing (usually boards) and replacement with OSB or plywood. This is a considerable expense and your client needs to know about it.

Kenton Shepard, CMI
InterNACHI
Director of International Development
Director of Green Building
EXPERT WITNESS SERVICE

+52 777 154 5451
INSPECTION SERVICES WORLDWIDE
Old 4/7/08, 2:31 AM
InterNACHI Member

Down here many insurers will not write a new policy and have revoked policies in effect once they become aware of the comp over wood.

Never heard of tearing skip/spaced sheathing off we just overlay with OSB around here.

badair

ADAIR INSPECTION
972-487-5634

Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Infrared Thermography
TREC # 4563
EDI: EIFS-MA TX # 39

2008 US Member of the Year

life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes, accept the good

Last edited by badair; 6/2/09 at 12:56 AM..
Old 4/7/08, 3:25 AM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badair
Never heard of tearing skip/spaced sheathing off we just overlay with OSB around here.
While I have heared of it, doing so is rare here, too, with roofers preferring to just overlay with OSB.

NACHI 2005 U.S. Member of the Year
Old 4/7/08, 1:33 PM
InterNACHI Member

I am surprised the roof can support the additional weight with two layers of asphalt/fiberglass shingles. Average 400-500 lbs. per 10 Sq. Ft. for each layer, in addition to flashing issues when a roof is layered.

Retired Maryland Home Inspector
Infraspection Certified Level 1 No. 7801
johnevans1725@gmail.com
Old 4/7/08, 5:35 PM
InterNACHI Member

In Los Angeles, since 1989, it has not been permissible to install any type of roofing material (including one that is Class-A fire-rated) over a wood roof on spaced-sheathing. Spaced sheathing is more seismically vulnerable and also can allow a fire to draft more rapidly, and the fasteners of the latest roof will have a tendency to split the old and often dry wood shakes/shingles, which means that the roofing material will also be vulnerable to wind-damage.
Old 4/7/08, 7:00 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: rmaday is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalone
Is it ever OK to put asphalt shingles over the original wood shingles? I did an older home (80+) that had two layers of asphalt shingles over the original wood.
Looks like you have 3 layers of shingles.
It would not be ok for 3 layers of asphalt shingles.
What is the difference?

2 layers, max.

John hit it right on the head!
Old 4/9/08, 9:10 PM
InterNACHI Member

Thanks for all the responses. I basically wrote what I saw. I did tell them that when it came time for a new roof there would be considerable expense in removal. And yes the spaced boards would stay and osb would be used on top. The roofing estimate with removal was $18,000.00. Thanks, Ken </IMG>